www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old October 31st, 2015, 06:37   #1
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Default Engine getting noisy the past few thousand miles...would an additive help?

From day one...I thought my engine ('13 CR TDI) was VERY quiet for a diesel, so I'd like to start by saying that. However, in the past few thousand miles...the sound of the engine (diesel pitter patter) is getting more pronounced. Not early MKIV TDI noisy, but just more noise. This sound is similar to what I would expect to hear with a vehicle that's a tad low on oil (i.e. One where if you dump in 1/3-1/2 quart and the top end quiets down). In this case though...the oil is completely full.

Other than this thing (which may or may not be an issue....I'm wondering if it's normal for more noise to occur as the engine continues to break-in), the car runs like a champ and I have no reason to think that there's anything wrong with it. I get 41-42 MPG on a commute that I tend to run 75 MPH with a lot of stop and go traffic and the engine doesn't burn or leak oil, so I would say that the engine seems healthy.

I'm open to trying an additive if it might address this concern. What brought up additives for me is that I was talking with my brother last night (he has a new diesel truck) and he mentioned that an additive might do something for me. He then proceeded to tell me to Youtube search TDI's rolling coal though, so I'll take his advice with a grain of salt, lol.

Edit: The other thing I'm tempted to do is run down to Southern States and top the tank off with their 45 cetane blend and see if that does anything for me. Thank you for any advice that you can offer up.

Last edited by bubbagumpshrimp; October 31st, 2015 at 06:41.
bubbagumpshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:01   #2
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

How many miles on the engine?
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:04   #3
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Sorry...that's very relevant. I thought I put that in there. It just hit 36k miles.
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:05   #4
Fav40
Veteran Member

Many Additives have Cetane boost. No need to drive too far to try for 45+ Cetane. Try adding something that adds Cetane boost and some lubricity first.

Maybe injection pump ?
Fav40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:18   #5
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fav40 View Post
Many Additives have Cetane boost. No need to drive too far to try for 45+ Cetane. Try adding something that adds Cetane boost and some lubricity first.

Maybe injection pump ?
Are there any additives to stay away from? I.e. Don't do well with the CR fuel system.

Stanadyne is the one that my brother mentioned.

Last edited by bubbagumpshrimp; October 31st, 2015 at 07:30.
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:37   #6
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

When "cold" or even after warm up?? Typical and normal for diesel to be a lot "noisier" when ambient temps drop and ECU advances the injection timing. You should hear mine at below 0*F, and colder. Better yet, an old 7.3 Powerstroke or Cummins.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:47   #7
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

It's a bit more pronounced on cold start ups, but it's a bit louder overall during all operating conditions at this point. We aren't talking LOUD noise though. This is still by far the quietest diesel vehicle that I've ever driven.
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:03   #8
millerman61
Veteran Member

Mine has gotten louder as the miles have gotten higher also. I am at 50k. Mileage has improved and I have always use PS as an additive. I would have to describe it as a minimal change and if it hadn't sounded so much like a gasser when I first bought it I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

It has always be louder on cold start when the temperature drops and it is noticeably quieter after it is fully warmed up.
millerman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:04   #9
redbarron55
Veteran Member

I assume your engine is stock with emissions so what I am saying has no bearing on your issues.
I have a 2009 with 240,000 miles + and this oil change I used Royal Purple HPS 10 - 40 and the prescribed Lubri-Molly amount (by the additive manufacturer.
I could head my engine get quieter as it ran after initial start up.
Royal Purple doesn't suggest the additive by the way. I have used this is some industrial gearboxes to good effect, however. I have also used the RP in the plant as well an I like the results we get with their products.
I used a treatment of the lubro-molly in this car at about 40,000 miles and I have no way to know if it helps the long term life of the engine. The theory of the molly is that it embeds in the pores of the metal and provides additional protection in the case of cold starts etc. for some time. I have no idea on it's effect on the catalytic converter or DPF.
If the car did not have a DPF etc I would use the RP HPS since it has the older additive packages that are not compatible with the new emissions equipment.
With a car with all of the emissions equipment (which we should all operate) the Castrol oil specified with 507.X should work just fine especially with the roller cam drives in the CBEA + engines.
It is possible the engine in your car is broken in and developing more compression and a little more noise. That and a very small amount od wear on the piston skirts for a little slap, perhaps.
I think this latter is what is happening perhaps along with the insulation on the back of the hood being loose by now like it has done on all of my cars.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:10   #10
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerman61 View Post
Mine has gotten louder as the miles have gotten higher also. I am at 50k. Mileage has improved and I have always use PS as an additive. I would have to describe it as a minimal change and if it hadn't sounded so much like a gasser when I first bought it I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

It has always be louder on cold start when the temperature drops and it is noticeably quieter after it is fully warmed up.
That might be my issue too. I have to admit that when I test drove my car, I was shocked at how quiet it was. It really did sound like a gasser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I assume your engine is stock with emissions so what I am saying has no bearing on your issues.
I have a 2009 with 240,000 miles + and this oil change I used Royal Purple HPS 10 - 40 and the prescribed Lubri-Molly amount (by the additive manufacturer.
I could head my engine get quieter as it ran after initial start up.
Royal Purple doesn't suggest the additive by the way. I have used this is some industrial gearboxes to good effect, however. I have also used the RP in the plant as well an I like the results we get with their products.
I used a treatment of the lubro-molly in this car at about 40,000 miles and I have no way to know if it helps the long term life of the engine. The theory of the molly is that it embeds in the pores of the metal and provides additional protection in the case of cold starts etc. for some time. I have no idea on it's effect on the catalytic converter or DPF.
If the car did not have a DPF etc I would use the RP HPS since it has the older additive packages that are not compatible with the new emissions equipment.
With a car with all of the emissions equipment (which we should all operate) the Castrol oil specified with 507.X should work just fine especially with the roller cam drives in the CBEA + engines.
It is possible the engine in your car is broken in and developing more compression and a little more noise. That and a very small amount od wear on the piston skirts for a little slap, perhaps.
I think this latter is what is happening perhaps along with the insulation on the back of the hood being loose by now like it has done on all of my cars.
It does get quieter after the initial cold start.

Yup. My car is 100% stock. As far as I know...it's only ever had that specific Castrol oil in it.

I'll have to check and make sure that the Insulation hasn't shifted. Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:49   #11
Fav40
Veteran Member

I'm shocked how loud some 4cyl gasser motors are in comparison.
Fav40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:54   #12
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Normal. Traded my 2012 at 40k miles, it was louder than the first day. I'm at 36k with my 2014, definitely louder than the first day.
Rode in a top-of-the-line 2015 Accord V-6, and I have to admit that I was startled by how quiet the Honda was. But...well...it's a Honda...reliable, comfortable, reliable, quiet, bland, quiet, reliable, smooth, state-of-the-art NAV, lights...boring...unlike our VWs!!!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 09:25   #13
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Normal. Traded my 2012 at 40k miles, it was louder than the first day. I'm at 36k with my 2014, definitely louder than the first day.
Rode in a top-of-the-line 2015 Accord V-6, and I have to admit that I was startled by how quiet the Honda was. But...well...it's a Honda...reliable, comfortable, reliable, quiet, bland, quiet, reliable, smooth, state-of-the-art NAV, lights...boring...unlike our VWs!!!
Yup. I drove a '15 Accord recently (I'd like a car that's a bit larger at some point in the near future). Very nice car, but very boring to drive.
Old October 31st, 2015, 13:24   #14
rwolff
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None yet
Fuel Economy: 35 MPG gas/6 MPG diesel

Another possibility: did the engine start getting noisier after a fill-up? Around this time of year, the switchover to winter diesel starts, and depending on what is used to lower the CFPP, the cetane number can drop (won't happen if they use the equivalent of PS, will happen if they dilute the D2 with D1). Virginia is a bit too far south to need winter diesel this early in the season, but if you normally fill up at a station with a lot of heavy truck traffic going north/south (e.g. the I95 corridor), they may have switched over to avoid causing problems for their northbound customers.
2004 Western Star 4900 EX with Series 60 Detroit
rwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 12:46   #15
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
I traded a 2006 Accord 6m transmission with 35K miles for my '15 VW TDI. Best gas mileage I got with the Honda was 31MPG on highway W/O A/C.

With the TDI, I get 36MPG average city and 51MPG average highway.

And the TDI is more fun to drive.......and mess with Prius drivers...
GWbiker is offline   Reply With Quote