Extra half quart to quart of dirty oil in oil filter housing!

Lightman

Veteran Member
I posted this on the end of the ramps thread, but thought it was worthy of its own.

Even after draining the oil out of the bottom of the drain pan, using my extractor I was able to suck out a half quart at least of dirty oil, out of the oil filter housing. While there is residual oil puddled and visible, the place to suck it all out is the hole closest to the hood I believe(trying to picture it). Anyway, i was just sucking up the residual dirty oil and tried sticking the suction tube in the hole, and whoa did it remove a lot! Just a tip....get rid of the dirty and put in the juicy delvac 1!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
This doesn't surprise me since a screw-on filter holds about 1/2 quart of oil. I wondered if the oil in the filter housing would drain out or not when changed.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
That is what is left in the oil cooler. I do the same thing using a 12" piece of copper tubing attached to an old 90w gear oil bottle. Remember to to dump some fresh oil back in there so that oil pressure comes up quickly.

Strack

Veteran Member
I've been using a thin tube hooked up to a suction pump( hand drill driven) to remove all the oil from the crankcase and filter housing. I was shocked to find so much oil which cannot be removed without heroic effort. This may not be VW's best design, but as long as you're aware of the "problem", you can certainly work around it.

Perhaps some of our oil analysis are off, because of this half quart of dirty oil which never leaves the system ? Think about it??

M

mickey

Only if some people are sucking that oil out, and others aren't. I've never heard of anybody attempting to suction the oil out of the cooler before.

The oil will never be 100%, perfectly, squeaky clean. I wouldn't worry about it.

-mickey

Lightman

Veteran Member
lol thats just cuz you can't get the extra half quart out =] anyway, the reason i get so much out is possibly the dieselgeek larger oil cooler kit I had DB install...

Are we sure that this is where the oil is coming from? I dont stick the tube that far down by any means....

Bean Eater

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Blue, auto
I also have the larger Dieselgeek cooler and I also make a practice of suctioning out the cooler by inserting a suction hose down the passage at the forward side of the bottom of the oil filter housing. Like most of us, I am somewhat anal about the precision of fluid removal (alright, no laughing!).

I don't think I get much more than maybe 4 oz. though.

UTAH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI/DSG
Originally posted by Lightman:
Even after draining the oil out of the bottom of the drain pan, using my extractor I was able to suck out a half quart at least of dirty oil, out of the oil filter housing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup - same here. Got the most out of the hole you describe. Made me think I made the right decision by getting the Liquivac.

Best to y'all
Utah Bill

Lightman

Veteran Member
I still dont think these suction devices are a replacement for draining the oil out the bottom of the car the traditional way. I would still recommend at least getting up on the ramps every other time..