www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:03   #16
TomKitt

Yes, there are some lucky people who still have their plastic belly pan, but you have to ask yourself what it's worth to you not to be stranded late at night with a hole in your oil pan? $200 seems like a fair price to me.
I'd go with an aluminum plate over the steel if only for the reason of rust. Yes, the steel plates are galvanized, but one good scrape of that plate and the rust protection is gone for good. Yes steel is stronger, but you'd have to hit something pretty hard to cause a 1/4"-3/8" aluminum plate to deflect enough to damage your oil pan.
I went with the Evolution because the shipping was cheaper for where I live.
TomKitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:07   #17
K5ING
Mega-Miler

Fuel Economy: 46 mixed/51 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsnbolts View Post
I have to play devil's advocate on this one...

I still have my original plastic belly pan and oil pan in place, even with frost heaves, dirt roads, lots of night driving, and NE winters.
Have I just been lucky for 437,000 miles?

Let the flames begin!

(PS- I'm knocking on the wood table.)

-Rich
No flames, but yes, you've been lucky. You never know when there will be something laying in the road that you can't avoid. I busted my pan on a busy 50mph boulivard once. There was traffic on either side of me and to the rear. Ahead of me were a couple of pickup trucks and a Suburban. All cleared the object below, but by the time I saw it after the Suburban passed over it, it was too late and got me. I guess I could have swerved or slammed on the brakes, but that would have caused a big wreck.

Silver 2001 2 dr. Golf GL TDI 5-speed (original owner)
445,000+ miles and climbing!
SOLD 10/2017 to member alphaseinor. It's in good hands.
DFW TDI List
K5ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 14:08   #18
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

I am not even going to get into the flaming as after seeing and adding to other arguments it seems pointless. To the actual OP of this thread I have the dieselgeek plate. I like the full metal jacket option. If you don't need the side skirts then the plates are close enough to the same where you will just have to flip a coin and choose. OEM has one for like $400 and it is steel (think-rust). and is just like the aluminum ones. I too am raised but still wouldn't go ANY where without the metal plate. I am one of the few without an actual truck around here (don't count my vw truck) so I can't afford to be stranded where they really don't plow the roads. I see the scares on my metal plate and that is after being raised and am thankful. The plate is cheaper then a truck and insurance for another vehicle.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 15:07   #19
a32e5s7
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

I just ordered evo skid plate... really liked their oil drain plug opening....not like the dieselgeeks one, didn't really liked theirs...So $301 with shipping.
a32e5s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 15:59   #20
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I run the OEM belly pan on both TDIs and NEVER had an single issue with the oil pan. I do not think the skid plate is necessary if the suspension is properly maintained. Problem is that people have crapped out struts and squished mounts which causes the car to bottom out. Then they make it worse by strapping a big heavy hunk of metal to the front of the car.

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks like that.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 16:43   #21
daedalus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32e5s7 View Post
I just ordered evo skid plate... really liked their oil drain plug opening....not like the dieselgeeks one, didn't really liked theirs...So $301 with shipping.

Well done. I'm sure you will be pleased. Make 100% sure the rivnuts are put in tightly the first time (ask how I know!).
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 16:56   #22
Shenandoah
Veteran Member
Default Coyotes

Blove,

Congratulations on getting the coyote. Sorry about your skid plate. We've got a lot of coyotes out here. If I could run one (or ten) over, I would. I've got an aluminum skid plate, so I'm not worried about the oil pan.

Eric
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 20:43   #23
a32e5s7
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Well done. I'm sure you will be pleased. Make 100% sure the rivnuts are put in tightly the first time (ask how I know!).
I'll do that. I thought I've seen a thread here about installation problem with those rivets....need to find it.
a32e5s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 22:54   #24
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

You are telling me that HUGE piece of metal is causing your suspension to bottom out. It is like 15 pounds. Loose some weight yourself if that little bit is that big of deal. I have a raise suspension and still scrap things. Our pans stick out more then other cars. Also it is cheaper for the plate then it is to replace shocks, struts, springs, bushings. Again, seems like there is always no believers. I couldn't take it when the mention of its weight was an issue again. Maybe with the OEM steel one but not the two aluminum ones.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:14   #25
Nutsnbolts

Fuel Economy: Average is about 46 now (2016)

Anybody got a link to the OEM steel version?

-Rich
Old October 3rd, 2010, 15:21   #26
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Heres the heavy duty OE plate at ECS. Might be able to get a better price at 1stvwparts or even impex as I didn't check...

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 15:32   #27
TheTDIWagonGuy

Fuel Economy: 40.3 us mpg 5.9L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKitt View Post
I'd go with an aluminum plate over the steel if only for the reason of rust. Yes, the steel plates are galvanized, but one good scrape of that plate and the rust protection is gone for good.
Just a note that the statement above is incorrect. My original plate has survived 3 salty winters with only minimal surface rust where the zinc has been scraped off. I can show pictures if anybody is interested.
TheTDIWagonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 18:49   #28
MRIBOB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blove View Post
was broken in an unfortunate incident with a coyote.
I was not sure if I hit the Coyote or the Minute Man chasing him when my pan got hit crossing the Mexican boarder.

Whatever the case. Now with the plate I just go over the top with no damage to my car.

Burnt and red face of my son 12/24/2010 Airbag deployed with him up front.
Keep your kids in back seat even when its it legal to put up front.
I thank God he is ok. Like never happened by 10 days later.
Car got junked! FINAL Mexico Road-3 Jetta- 0
MRIBOB is offline   Reply With Quote