06 Jetta TDI P0102 MAF Issue

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Bought this car in the fall and the day before i bought it the check engine light came on. The previous owner took it to the VW dealer here and they changed the MAF out with now success. I didn't think it was going to be hard to repair so i said just leave it. I pulled the code with a scanner i own and its a P0102 MAF Low input. I unplugged the maf to check if it made any difference in performance and its exactly the same. It still gets good milage and runs great accept for when its cold. Then its terrible and have to put the pedal to the floor to get it to run. When its warm its fine. So i pullet the intake boot, check the air filter which looked now, everything looks clean. Reinstalled it to make sure there were no vacuum leaks but the code is still there. Anybody have any ideas for me? I've already read the MAF 101 post and still no success!

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Oh, and i forgot to mention that i revved the engine up to 5000 without any problems. It did this with and without the MAF plugged in.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Buy some MAF cleaner from PEPboys, autozone, etc.

Spray it down real good. Mine did this too.

It will take a couple key cycles (times driving) for the CEL to shut back off.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I did spray the MAF sensor down and reinstall a while back, it didn't help. It shouldn't have been dirty as the sensor was brand new.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I took the intake apart to check for leaks but nothing obvious stuck out, nothing that i could find. When the vehicles running i can hear a hissing but i'm pretty sure its just the turbo Any other ideas?

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Are you running a stock air filter?

Also, the connector to the maf doesnt have any dielectric grease or anything like that in it does it?

Is your code still present after cleaning?

Are any other codes present?

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Like i said, after cleaning nothing changed, new sensor. At first there was only the one code but i checked again and there was 2 but it was a a faulty glow plug on cyl 3, double checked it and it had way too much resistance so they are not related at all. There is no dialectical grease in the MAF connector, something i had though about trying. Does VW use a 5 volt signal to the sensor or what? I was going to check the source voltage.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Oh and yes, it appears to be a stock air filter. It is not an oiled air filter as i know those can be nothing but an arch nemesis to MAF sensors.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
check for 5V on the MAF connector. Check for continuity between MAF connector pins to the ECU connector. Better yet open the MAF connector and check for the obvious, broken connections.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT put any kind of electric connector grease on the MAF connector.

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Dimitri16V said:
check for 5V on the MAF connector. Check for continuity between MAF connector pins to the ECU connector. Better yet open the MAF connector and check for the obvious, broken connections.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT put any kind of electric connector grease on the MAF connector.
Concur and check you grounds...all of them.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Well i still don't have the problem fixed and it seems to be getting worse. It seems like it doesn't have the power that it used to, at least not until 2300rpm or so then it makes power too quick and is kinda rough? It sometimes gets a little boggy as well. It does have a 5 volt signal but haven't had a chance to check the grounds. Is there any wiring diagrams floating around? I don't have a service manual at the moment.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Boost leak...turbo problesm..

thats where I would start...

The MAP code is telling you the airflow through the CAC is out of whack(range)..

If you have a leak(and you do) then the MAF wants to see a certain flow and its not happening..

If you pull a CAC pipe, you will see the same code set. its usually the CAC pipe at the ASV, sometimes coming out of the intercooler..usually its the oring that gets damaged and needs replacement..Or a split hose..

Check the connections again..real close...down on the drivers side inter cooler underneath as well, sometimes they get knocked loose..

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Not sure where everything is located on these little cars but i'll do some digging around. I'm used to trucks and heavy equip as i'm a heavy duty mechanic. Where is the asv on these tdi's?

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I had a few spare minutes so i checked some of the intercooler hoses to check o-rings and found it coated in oil and quite crusty towards the throttle body, is this normal or related? I haven't check the lower hose yet but the other 2 were good.

CineAtomic

TDI
2006 Jetta (early), Blue, Tan Leather
DirtRider031 said:
I had a few spare minutes so i checked some of the intercooler hoses to check o-rings and found it coated in oil and quite crusty towards the throttle body, is this normal or related? I haven't check the lower hose yet but the other 2 were good.
I noticed a similar oil residue on the cold air intake side of my turbo. I wiped it off and gave the engine some hell for a few days and checked. So far no obvious leak.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Well i hope thats normal. Have enough things going wrong at the moment, don't need a leaky turbo seal yet too

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Well i took the car to vw to have them check the maf sensor with their scanner and they were certain that it was what was causing my error code, P0102. Being they wanted 260 dollars to replace it i bought one for 100 dollars (its a bosch as well) and replaced it. I cleared the codes and ran it and it instantly came on and is still a pending code. I have checked the 5v signal to the hardness, all intake o-rings and connections, i've taken the asv off and cleaned it (it had carbon but not exessive), but none of this has cured my problem! Does anybody have any other ideas or experiance with this? Wiring pins in the connector? Don't know what else to check?

Thanks!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Starter fluid

velociT said:
Buy some MAF cleaner from PEPboys, autozone, etc.

Spray it down real good. Mine did this too.

It will take a couple key cycles (times driving) for the CEL to shut back off.
12 oz can of MAF cleaner.... $5
12 oz can of starter fluid..... $2.50

MAF Cleaner is just starting fluid. Save a couple of bucks.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Thank you so much for that very informative post! You saved the day with my 2.50 saved by buying starter fluid! Doesn't matter anyways its a brand new maf and not the problem

Mach1

TDI
Check out my post from 8 months ago...boost leak...

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
would i not get an underboost code as well? I've checked all the o-ring and piping to the intercooler and turbo and couldn't find anything wrong. O-ring where in good condition with no nicks or anything in them?

JGM06

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same problem - MAF error code p0102 MAF sensor circuit low input - have replaced MAF and have same error code show up after having cleared CEL. Car runs fine.

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I still haven't figured out the problem yet. It seems like for summer it gets better but it was a warm day today and in first gear it started stammering and smoking until I let off and shifted to second and it still wanted to studder.

jean-michel31

TDI
jetta gls tdi 2004
hi i'm not a mecanic at all but it could be one of the 2 egr pipe lower and upper that have a leak in it.

in my tdi 2004 that was trowing a p0102 and p0299 code but at some point it was just p0102 code..

maybe this could help you bye

Mach1

TDI
Make a boost leak tester and find the boost leak..

DirtRider031

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
A little more information on this ongoing issue. I took the car to a shop in town who hooked a smoke machine and pressured up the intake tract. There was a cracked in the one intercooler pipe and a rubber hosed elbow was also leaking. I thought great! We finally found the problem! Cleared the code and guess what, it comes back again! Changed sensors, still doesn't clear. Tested the wiring as far into the dash as possible but couldn't find any problems. Is this sensor have a fuse in the fuse panel? According to a couple schematics i found the car is supposed to have 3 fuse panels but could only find 2. Any ideas?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
What's the build date on your car?

Pin 2, to GND should be +12V
Pin 3, to GND, should be +5V.
Pin 5, to GND, should be short circuit.

Build date >>07/06: fuse 29 panel C (interior) intact?
Build date 07/06>>: fuse 1 panel C intact?

Last edited: