APR Carbonio Cold Air Intake for 2.0 TDI

Reflex TDI

TDI
2011 4D DSGT Reflex Silver
I have a new 2011 Golf TDI and I wonder if investing in a Carbonio Cold Air Intake from APR is really worth it. Does any body installed one and do you noticed a significant change in power gains and diesel saving.:confused:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hello and welcome to the club.

The moderators made a sticky that addresses the futility of aftermarket CAIs and Air intake 'systems'.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

The only 'benefit' you may see is a change in intake noise or sound, but the filtration may be lees effective and your wallet will be slimmer. There will be NO increase in power (measured on a dyno) although proponents always report that they can FEEL more power.....

In the end it is your car and your money, but I would spend mine on an actual TUNE by a tuner (do not confuse a tune with a box). Malone Tuning has a tune for your car, I think. Rocketchip is very good and I use his tune, but I don't think he has a tune for your model.

Bill

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Reflex TDI said:
I have a new 2011 Golf TDI and I wonder if investing in a Carbonio Cold Air Intake from APR is really worth it. Does any body installed one and do you noticed a significant change in power gains and diesel saving.:confused:
One reason why you won't notice any gains with any aftermarket Cold Air Intake (CAI) setup is that your car already has a well designed CAI setup that came from the FACTORY.

An aftermarket CAI setup is in reality a WAI or HAI compared to the stock setup. I suggest keeping your factory stock setup and don't mess up your nice new car.

Also have a look at this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:

Last edited:

Braze

TDI
1996 passat 1.9 tdi
i have a CAI on my car...didnt go out and buy one lol made one custom to my car and it works the same as the stock box...reson i made me one when i got the car last owner cut the air box all to hell.... so instead of finding new box i have the parts make my own...now back to the start have i heard a diffrance in intake noise no i have a open exhaust so dought i hear really anything more new plus play radio loud lol and as performance anything new...nope cant say i theres diffrance there ... but to make you feel like your car goes fast by telling people yeah its got a CAI sure if you need that ego boost lol

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It actually took to the 5th day of the month for the first one of these threads? Certainly this cannot be?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Patience, the month is young yet...

OP: stick with your factory CAI setup which has been proven to be perfectly capable of supporting over 200 bhp. That will be the last thing you would need to upgrade, after turbo, software, exhaust, clutch, upgraded injectors (even possible on CRs?) in that order... I think. Still, save your benjies.

RioGrandeValley

TDI
MK6 GOLF
Thanks for this post as I was thinking of doing the CAI on my toy. You guys just saved me about $300 bucks. Will have to tell the wife i can now order the new component speakers for the doors instead :)

Tomato