1987 Suzuki Samurai with TDI-M

deepmud

TDI
TDI-M in a Suzuki Samurai beast monster truck
ah, work in progress
everything, EVERYTHING is custom. Nothing just bolts in.
EDIT: I take that back - www.acmeadapters.com means I just bolt the VW to the Toyota trans

:D

More TDI-relevant pic

deepmud

TDI
supposed to be a 98 Passat 110hp TDI from CZ - www.ultim8vwparts.com

It does look like a rather decent intake - the bends are all nice and smooth, and dump right into the ports on the head, where I can see the top of the valves in the head - also nice :D. I haven't done port-matching on it yet, but overall the intake looks WAY better than what was on my previous 1.9td motor. Pump is a TDI/1.9td hybrid, so hp is adjusted to how much smoke I want to make. Exhaust is 2" from my prev. conversion, straight pipe/no muffler. Intercooler will be a huge volvo tube/fin unit - not as efficient as bar/plate, but it's really big so doesn't have to be :cool: . I've been tearing my rig apart and rebuilding it for 2 years now. The TDI wasn't part of the original plan, but neither was the bed-extension. There isn't much Samurai left. It's more VW/Toyota now, with Samurai parts on top.

weldorguy

hey!!!!!

Hi I'm new here and was looking for a good place to put my first post and I saw this 87 sammy and though holy fawk what better place than this!!!!! nice rig man!!!! i got a 91 with the efi... peppy little car but a friend's kid recently wrote off a 97 vw with 100,000 km on it!!! whats all involved in doing that swap cause i have never seen ne thing that crazy in my life.. i want to put it into my sami but don't know where to even begin...

deepmud

TDI
hey -- start with www.acmeadapters.com
They do a lot of conversions - not so many TDI yet, but Doug has come up with new motor mounts for the new TDI block.

then www.zuwharrie.com and look at the diesel section, or search Yahoo for the diesel samurai list.
my build-up thread ( I started years ago with a 1.9td, this is a thread on the upgrade to TDI-M and 39.5 Boggers).

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=8144

If you want a TDI in a Samurai, I don't recommend keeping the Samurai transmission - but upgrading to the Toyota mini-truck (ACME has an adapter for that too) drivetrain. It can work with Samurai axles, but for off-road/big tires, it's a good idea to upgrade to Toyota axles from a mini-truck while you are at it.

The 97 you know of - it's a U.S., early TDI? Or a Canadian 1.9td?