Which nozzles are a nice upgrade on their own but take well to a tune later?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
My wagon has a pretty young clutch (75K km) so while I'd like a bit more power I don't want to buy a new clutch tomorrow. My thinking is that I will install some nozzles to get a bit of a power bump but not so much that my clutch will fail immediately (commuting Dad, not boy racer). I expect to shorten the clutch life but hopefully I'll get a year+ out of it at the elevated power level. Eventually I will replace it with a stronger one and get a tune.

This make sense? Are there any particular nozzles that would do well in this scenario? I need them to be driveable on their own but ideally good to take a Stage 3 Malone tune later on. I'm thinking DLC1019s at the moment but I am admittedly poking around in an area I know little about. Does seem like others like these as well (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=315009). Fortunately I do have a good shop around to install them.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The DLC1019's might be a little smoky without a tune and they will have enough fuel for a Stage 3 type tune later on. If you keep your foot off of the floor, your clutch could last quite a while.
In reality if your ultimate goal is a Stage 3 tune, then a .205 nozzle will provide enough fuel and will be a lot less smoky without a tune first.

Last edited:

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would go with DLC520 if you are not planning a turbo upgrade in the future as they provide plenty of fuel for the vnt15. They also run great with or without a tune. I reckon the DLC1019 will slip your clutch in 4th and 5th around 2k rpm if you are not careful. I could sometimes slip mine in 5th when I put the DLC520s in without a tune. If you do go DLC1019 with no tune expect to hammer mod.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Our wagon has been running PP520s and RC2 for years with the OE clutch.

It is possible to slip the clutch by hammering it in 5th at speeds where you should have downshifted, but normal spirited driving is no problem.

Simon

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Thanks for the input guys. Good stuff. Seems there may be *some* concern on smoke with 1019s with no tune. Would this expect to improve with a Stage 1.5 Malone? I think the clutch is likely to be able to handle that for a while.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Thanks for the input guys. Good stuff. Seems there may be *some* concern on smoke with 1019s with no tune. Would this expect to improve with a Stage 1.5 Malone? I think the clutch is likely to be able to handle that for a while.
Yes because the tune will scale back the fueling for the larger nozzles. DLC1019 I think are close to double the flow of the stock ones so the duration get turned down quite a bit as it can deliver the fuel needed faster. The 1.5 is designed for the stock clutch and big nozzles so you should be good if that is the plan.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
A tune should clean the smoke right up as long as they know you want a low smoke tune.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
So sounds like DLC1019s if I spring for the Stage 1.5 tune, or DLC520s if I want to roll with just upgraded nozzles for a while.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I ran my 764 5 hole nozzles pop tested and tuned at stage 2 with no ECU chip upgrade for a few years with no issues other than high EGT's on the stock turbo. Just ramp the IQ up to like 6 and get an EGT gauge no matter what nozzles you get. You will see higher than stock EGT's but i love my 764's

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
I'm running 1019dlc and a vnt17 without a tune. The drivability is good and I haven't slipped my Valeo yet (knocks on wood)

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
The ones in my white car are good. I've had zero issues with them. It's in my sig.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
No matter how big you go you can always calibrate them and remap them to suit
But if you go too small you may regret it with more mods down the line
I went straight for race 520s nervously with a basic tune and stock vnt17va
Best grin ever ??