swap into an allroad?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I seriously want to know what it would take. I lust over B5.5 TDIs, but no 4mo and no towing capacity. Allroads are my supreme ideal car, but of course no TDI in NA.

Suppose if found a cracked up allroad with a duff engine, fixed it up. Sparing me the most low level details, what would this entail besides sourcing the engine and wiring, and ECU? Would the tiptronic from a 2.7T work with the 2.5 TDI?

On a related not, what fuel economy is your 2.5 TDI passat 4mo getting? I read that 2.5 TDI allroads are getting about 25 MPG (probably UK gallons though). Same engine, same AWD system. Sonly different I see is GVW and tranny type.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Seriously, it takes a lot of planning and many other parts. Radiator, fuel tank, fuel lines, power steering hoses, engine and tranny mounting brackets, driveshaft, sound deadening, cooling fan control module, brake controller bracket...numerous parts can be different. It takes a lot of careful planning and research. Eric put in many, many hours planning and getting parts before the surgery took place. Then it took many hours of work by him and his helpers to actually disable the car and reassemble it into TDI form. Even then, he was ordering parts daily while surgery was going on because we realized the "little things" that are subtle, but necessary.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Amen to that Mr. MO!

I cannot stress enough to anyone that would want to undertake that conversion *(I have already thought about it...) Without the help of MOGolf and a ong list of others there is no way that I would have been able to finish it in 8 days. It would have taken several weeks!!!!

MO - I still haev your tools, I am almost to the milage that I had on the old pump before it failed. I'll ship them out shortly. Thanks again.

Latest Combined Mileage... 37.1

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Eric, You can send them back via the same courier, if you'd like.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
IMHO, I can`t imagine another vehicle more desirable than a TDI Allroad, I just lust after one. I`m afraid of what I`d do if they ever became available here and I was unable to afford one.

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
Yeah RC, I know the feeling. I drove an allroad, tho one powered by the improper fuel. They can be habit forming.
With my luck they'll bring in the allroad TDI at the same time they bring in a Toureg with the 5 cylinder TDI and DSG, and both will be beyond my reach!
Hmmm, maybe I should buy a few shares of Halliburton so I can afford one or the other. Nah, better not. Have to look in a mirror to shave.
Rodg

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Yeah RC, I know the feeling. I drove an allroad, tho one powered by the improper fuel. They can be habit forming......
Rodg
Our friend here MineMapper got the opportunity to drive a V6 TDI Allroad while in Europe last year. Said he is sorry he did so in that he will now never be satisfied with any other vehicle. I`ll take his word and stay away from them myself. I don`t even wanna drive a gasser.

And like you, even if they were available here, I couldn`t afford one.

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
You can find TDI engine for Audi, however find right engine, with transmission and them willing to ship is time consuming.
I have imported 1.9 TDI for B6 Audi A4 avant, everything except the shell, and cost just add-up.. you need to know somebody who will willing to help you out find right parts and engine and transmission..
it is better to get everything, tranny, engine, driveshafts, suspension if possible wiring, cluster.. and so on

the mileage thing relates as well how heavy the car is, I am not too sure how much all road weights but I don't think it is lighter the B6 model

kristd

would it not be cheaper and easier too import one from germany? they are lhd too unlike the uk models. and they do the 180 bhp version too.

gizmocska

TDI
2003 Passat AFN 1.9 tdi For Sale...
My ideal tdi Allroad would be an ALH with 6 spd manual tranny which would not be harder to do then the BHW one I drove in Toronto done by a friend of mine ,I heard people ....or should I say skeptics say all kinds off thing like it would be to slow...but trust me u dont need more power than a 170 hp tdi ALH in that car ,drove smooth ,and altough a heavy cat and AWD still gets 34-36 mpg so don t give up it has been done