Exhaust system options that will meet NY emissions

chris150

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI, Auto
I want to upgrade my exhaust to a high performance exhaust, but want and need one that will meet New York State emissions requirements. I have a few questions:

1.) Does NYS require diesel cars to have emissions tests like gas cars?
2.) What performance exhaust are out there? Any plug and play?
3.) Will they be NYS emissions legal?

Thanks for all the help!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
when you figure that out. take the three hour drive to Whitbreads, and have an exhaust MADE!! cant be beat

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
NY does not currently test diesels for emissions. Legally, I'm sure they are supposed to visually make sure that the cat is in place, etc. I have turbo back 4" straight pipe on my two powerstrokes, OE size turbo back straight pipe on the Beetle and a 2 1/2" side exit on my jetta (no cat, cherry bomb in it's place). No problems with inspections on any of them (and diesels are a lot cheaper too).

Is you 05 a MKIV or MKV (05.5)? I think the later ones have a rear O2 sensor, but I'm not completely sure on that one. I know the MKIVs do not so the ECU has no idea what's happening after the turbo. Any high flow exhaust with a high flow cat should be completely legal in NY.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
I *think* there are exhaust kits you can buy; but I had a stainless steel 3" exhaust and 2.5" custom DP made for probably much cheaper than any kit will ever be.

chris150

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI, Auto
How expensive is the custom Whitbread? I live by Buffalo, NY.

Mine is an 05 (older style)

I haven't had any luck finding a kit, only pieces...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
NY does not currently test diesels for emissions. Legally, I'm sure they are supposed to visually make sure that the cat is in place, etc. I have turbo back 4" straight pipe on my two powerstrokes, OE size turbo back straight pipe on the Beetle and a 2 1/2" side exit on my jetta (no cat, cherry bomb in it's place). No problems with inspections on any of them (and diesels are a lot cheaper too).

Is you 05 a MKIV or MKV (05.5)? I think the later ones have a rear O2 sensor, but I'm not completely sure on that one. I know the MKIVs do not so the ECU has no idea what's happening after the turbo. Any high flow exhaust with a high flow cat should be completely legal in NY.
I am pretty sure TDIs in NY do not have to pass visual inspection either, at least that's what I got out of what the DMV web site was saying.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
last time i lived in NY they had no diesel emissions

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip

the rear O2 sensor is for the egr calibration circuit

get an egr delete and it is no longer needed

chris150

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI, Auto
I live a couple miles from JC. You pointed me in his direction around xmas time when I had some turbo issues. Remember? I knew him, but just didn't know he was into TDI's... Thanks again!

chris150

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI, Auto
I haven't moved back yet, but am strongly considering it. Therefore, I wanna be legal just in case. Then you obviously know whether they emissions test in a NYS inspection? I assume NO.

chriskorwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf
they do check emissions on the BEW engine. ALH emissions are N/A. after a certain year they started checking emissions

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
they do check emissions on the BEW engine. ALH emissions are N/A. after a certain year they started checking emissions
I live quite close to you and they've never checked emissions on my BEW. Not one of my 4 diesels has ever been hooked to an inspection computer.