Holy Crap!

almeizy

TDI
99.5 jetta tdi - cool white w/black interior, 5-speed
After about 73,000 miles, I finally decided to give it a try and clean out my EGR and surrounding areas. (sorry.. i dont know the names of the surrounding parts, newbie) Anyways... boy was it clogged! I dont have any pics, but put it this way... I could not see anything but black soot, or whatever its called. I could not stick my finger inside the pipe, etc. It was definately about 85-90% clogged. It took me about 3-4 hours to take everything apart, clean it and put back together. When I started my car up, the car took a while to start. It began to shake alot and a s**t load of white smoke came from my exhaust. I let it sit for a while, then I took it for a test drive. Man, does it drive smoother and I have gotten some power back. I am excited, I finally did something well without breaking anything.

M

mickey

I finally did something well without breaking anything.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I feel your pain.

-mickey

M

mickey

By the way, Doug: "ASW Expert" is an inside joke. You wouldn't understand.

-mickey

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
almeizy, can you say what kind of car you have?

thanks.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
64,000 miles on my 2001. I have taken the intake
tube off at the anti-shudder valve and looked
inside. What I really need to do is take it a
couple steps further and get a really close look.
I'm afraid I'll find the same thing you did!

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
with a mirror and a flashlight you can get a pretty good view into the opening of the IM.

S

SkyPup

The garbage truck fuel they call diesel up there sure is crud....

jettaTDI99

Veteran Member
I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI.

Also, today I replaced my TDI MAF with a 2.0 MAF and holy crap again! I didnt realize that a 2.0 MAF would make my car so much quicker... no more hesitation at 3,000 rpms; i am loving it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Thanks, almeizy. Did you have a specific set of instructions to help you thru the job or did someone else help?

Also, maybe you will mention what type of diesel fuel (brand) you use and what oil in the crankcase...all these are vital tidbits of info.

Thanks.

almeizy

TDI
99.5 jetta tdi - cool white w/black interior, 5-speed
I did it myself with no instructions, it was easy enough, just time consuming. Also, I usually use either Mobile on the highway diesel, or I try to find premium diesel in my area. There is no good diesel where I live. For oil, I use Delvac 1 5W-40.

Pete Wheatley

TDI
'03 Jetta, Black
I also have a 99.5 TDI and according to my mechanic, the IM is about 50% clogged (or 50% clear depending on your perspective). When you took it apart, what did you use to clean it? Any particular solution you found to be most effective? I'm tempted to go at it myself.

TDIinTX

Veteran Member
TDI
Any pics or detailed instructions available about where to find and how to remove the hoses for cleaning the intake? I've had a significant loss of power and fuel economy lately.