anyone install cruise on a Mk4 need wire pic

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
could I be so lucky someone has installed the kit? The dealer wants $75 for the wiring, and the links I see to it only show a few wires , so I thought I could pull it off a dead steering column at the wreckers, but want to know what other one beside the stalk I need to get off ,
Thanks

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
you do have a tdi right? since the tdi is drive-by-wire cruise is just a function of the ecu. there could be a few different problems keeping your cruise from working

1) It may not be "enabled". It takes 2 min to fix this with vag-com
2) Your turn signal stalk could be toast. there is a great how-to under the how to section in the tdi101 forum. the part is about $40 and takes 30 min to replace (this is what was wrong with my car when i bought it)
3) There are sensors for your brake lights/pedal and above the clutch pedal. if there is an issue with these, cruise will not turn on. if you have an issue with the brake light switch, this is covered under a recall.

I wouldn't pay $70 to have the dealer "hook up some wires" since there aren't any extra wires to hook up to get it working. i would also stay away from a dealer that said that

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The OP is from 'up narth', where base model trimmed TDIs were not factory equipped with cruise (all ours were).

To install it, you need to just switch out the turn signal stalk and enable the function via VAG-COM. I think if you have a stick and you want the function of this you will also need to install the clutch switch, but as I understand all the wiring is already in place.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I haven't installed the kit, but want to get a look at the wire colour or pinout so I can install the wiring without a harness as the dealer wants $100 for it and its a small harness so I can make it at work , I have the diagram from Foxy's site now.