VWoA scam, or crappy dealer?

Smithers

Veteran Member
Called my local dealer the other day to inquire about the cost of the dreaded timing belt change. (Just for curiosity's sake as I don't own the car yet). Anyway, the service writer adds it up and the total is.....$660.00!!!! (U.S.) This included all belts, and he said that they also replace the valve cover gasket at that time, also. I asked for a price breakdown and everything seemed to be o.k until.. "The valve cover gasket is no longer available as a single part. You have to buy the valve cover, also, and thats $120.00"!!!!!! You've gotta' be freakin' kidding me!! You cant buy the gasket separately?? Tell me this isn't true!

Note: I haven't had time to call another dealer yetto verify, but this one is closest to my house. For a good laugh, enjoy some of the other gems I've gotten from this same dealer.

1) Golf TDi's only come in automatic.
2) The 4dr is available in GL trim level.
3) Silver is unavailable in a TDi.
4) Leather seats ARE available in the Golf.
5) VW won't let them give the customer the unused Castrol if they supply their own oil, and no refund, either.
6) That hook to hold up the spare tire "trap door" is for hanging grocery bags on.
7) Golfs are built in Mexico.

There ARE more, I just can't remember them all right now. I wonder if some of us could get jobs teaching these idiot salesmen about the cars they're selling.

Do I really want a Volkswagen??

------------------
"English, who needs that? I'm never goin' to England". - Homer J. Simpson

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately if you like to laugh at the uninformed) you can get that same idiot-salesman experience at nearly any dealership you visit. There are exceptions to the rule, but by and large car salesmen are not an overly informed group. Furthermore, they are not usually particularly interested in extending their limited knowlege base. I think this may be mostly caused by the fact that they can snow the general buying public.

Someone who is doing real research about the car they want is rare among the buying public. Further complicating the problem is the fact that their ego won't let them admit that they are idiots.

Sigh...

Try not to let that dissuade you from your intended purchase. Like I said, you'll find the same condition at nearly any dealership you visit.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep

M

mickey

1) Lie. Lots of people have automatic Golfs.
2) GL Golfs have two doors. That's what makes them a GL.
3) Lie. Lots of people have silver TDIs.
4) True. (I think.) Actually, you can get leather seats in ANY car, as a dealer installed accessory. Depending on who they have do the work for them they can look just as nice as "factory" leather.
5) Lie. I doubt any dealer would give you much of a discount for using your own oil, since the Castrol (or whatever) doesn't cost them very much. (Syntec isn't real synthetic, after all!) But they should give you the oil. You are paying for it. (Even during the "free" services, which you actually paid for when you bought the car.)
6) Sure, you can use it for that purpose if you want to. (It's also handy for keeping the trap door shut.)
7) Lie. Golfs are built in Germany.

Please make a copy of this post and give it to the general manager. Include my e-mail address if he feels the need to argue with me. By the way, $660 US for a timing belt change is more than $200 higher than any other dealer we've seen so far. (Prices start at less than $300, but $400 is closer to the average.) And you do NOT have to replace the entire valve cover! That is a shameless lie, intended to extract money from you. If you pay it, they'll just shine up the old valve cover and rip you off.

You should call VWoA and report these guys, and you should also file a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau.

-mickey

Cleve

Veteran Member
When I bought my car, the salesman handed me a copy of the customer satisfaction survey that VWoC would be calling me about.

On it were questions re: my experience...AND..the answers that my dealer wanted me to provide!

I was to answer "EXCELLENT" to everything!

The audacity! Shameless audacity!

M

mickey

1) That's what I meant. Either transmission is available.

2) That's ALSO what I meant: I think leather is available in the Golf, though it isn't listed as an option on VW's web site. Aftermarket leather interior is ALWAYS an option, even in a used '85 Yugo.

That "free" oil is not "free". You paid for it when you bought the car. It is YOUR oil. Insist on them giving it to you as a matter of principle, even if you set it out on the curb with a "Take me, I'm FREE" sign on it. Not only did you pay for it, you're problably FINANCING the oil. You're paying interest on the crap! Remember that you are ultimately paying for everything involved with the car: Warranty, "free" services, etc. That's why it's important to make sure you fight for everything you have coming to you. It is YOUR oil! You own it. They don't get to keep it unless you say so. (I wish I had though of this at the time, but I didn't. Oh, well. I'd have been running Syntec in my lawn mower for years to come. Now it'll have to make do with Delo 400 Synthetic.)

-mickey

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Leather is not available in the Golf as a factory installed option, at least if you call America home.

------------------
Waiting for 2000 silver/black GOLF GLS TDI w/lux pkg, heated seats, and Monsoon.

morty

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
Cleve! I too was handed a sheet with the answers I was "supposed" to give when VW called for the customer satisfaction survey! I too was disgusted that they had the nerve to tell me how to answer! I answered as I saw fit. As for the timing belt topic, I was quoted CDN$418 for the job last week. For that price, I'll do it myself when the time comes!

KenNashua

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Graphite Blue
1) Mikey either misread or mistyped. I believe Golf TDI's are available in EITHER auto or manual.
4) I believe Mickey is incorrect. Leather seats are a FACTORY installed option. Of course any dealer can work out an after-market solution...
5) Up to the dealer. VWoA would probably say "Absolutely not!"

As for #5, I was very surprised when I saw a post stating that a dealer handed out the unused Castrol. I'm fairly sure this is not VWoA policy -- actually, I'd be surprised if VWoA actually had a policy for us "lunatic fringe" who provide their own oil.

I also see no reason why the dealer should do so. If any customer chooses not to take advantage of any "free" items, I don't see any reason why VWoA should give them to you. Bottom line: the Castrol is to service your VW. If you choose not to use it, why should they give it to you? (Please let's not go into "It's mine, I paid for it, yadda yadda yadda."

------------------
1999.5 Bright Green Jetta GLS TDI

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Smithers:

Yes you realy want a VW and you really need a dealer with a clue. Call VWoA and rant, rave, scream, yell, and throw things. It would be nice if you got a quote on the job in writing.

Cosmic Green:

No Dom Peringnon. You will get a gallon of used Delvac 1300 from a '72 Cat and an empty bottle of Red Line Diesel Catalyst.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
Sign me up as one of the great unwashed horde who was "Coached" by the sales person and also handed a typical survey sheet with all the answers given as "Excellent!". My dealer has been doing this for several years according to friends who have made purchases there. I wonder if VWOA is encouraging this behavior?

KO

Veteran Member
I was glad to fill out positive things on the dealer rating sheet, my dealer has really been great. (Southern Hospitality)

As for the oil, my dealer uses Mobil-1 5w-30, they put it in my trunk along with the unused portion of Delvac-1.

The Golf's I have seen on the lot say that their country of Origin is Germany, Jetta, NB, Mexico.

I have seen new Golf's on the lot that were silver, with black leather seats.

schadwell

TDI
1997 Passat Red
I'm fairly certain that Golfs, at least a good number of the ones we drive in the states, are built in Puebla, Mexico--at least they were until this year.

VW has a gigantic facility there, where they produce a myriad of models and styles.