Naturally Aspirated 1.9L BRM TDI

JamesDaniel28

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI and as the title says as of yesterday it is naturally aspirated.
well...kind of. I was removing the EGR cooler because it was leaking exhaust (hissing) and coolant at a very rapid rate. So not only was it annoying, it would eventually get costly and it was extremely messy (imagine, tar with the consistency of orange juice).

Now to start off I was simply going to unbolt it, plug the vacuum line, put the elbow in to connect coolant lines, then weld the exhaust and intake ports of EGR cooler shut.
Sadly the bolts holding the cooler to the ports were completely seized. After 2hrs of struggling I decided to take the angle grinder to them. WORK LIKE A CHARM! I welded the intake port shut, no problems there.

I should also mention that I removed the exhaust system right off the turbo to have easier access. So I ran out of daylight yesterday so I put the EGR and ASV and everything else back together except there is now no exhaust coming off the turbo and nothing stopping exhaust gasses to escape from the EGR cooler port.

It turns out most of the gasses (and noise and smoke) are escaping from the open EGR cooler port. So much so that the turbo is spinning so slowly (even under heavy throttle) that you can see the blades spinning (there is no exhaust so easy to look in).

So basically I now have the loudest, most obnoxious, and slowest BRM around. I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 40-50HP. Anyways, this is obviously not permanent and will be fixing on Wednesday when I have so spare time. Let's hope I don't attract the wrong kind of attention.

I could post some pictures or videos of the **** show if someone explained how to do that.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Seems like buying the $24 block off plates would be much easier.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did you ever see the movie Barfly starring Mickey Rourke (Henry), Faye Dunaway (Wanda) and Alice Krige (Tully)? Some damn fine life's wisdom right there.

Tully: Why don't you stop drinking? Anybody can be a drunk.
Henry: Anybody can be a non-drunk. It takes a special talent to be a drunk. It takes endurance. Endurance is more important than truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barfly_(film)

Last edited: