Mechatronic Unit Issue

02VFR

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 SportWagon
I received in the mail a letter from VW stating that there is an issue with hard shifting/jerking in the DSG caused by a bushing that is wearing in the Mechatronic unit. They state this is not the same as the false neutral recall.
They will have a campaign in Spring 2010 to check out if the bushing is worn and if it is they will replace the mechatronic unit.

I will try and scan in the letter and post it up

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Yep, got mine yesterday. Two letters, actually. One talking about a new DSG diagnostic tool -- software, for the most part I think -- they're developing and hope to have ready to roll out in the Spring (gives them time to build up related parts inventory, too, they said). If the tool decides your DSG needs fixing/tweaked, they'll do it for free. And another letter stating that the DSG (and *only* the DSG, with various legalese language) warranty is being extended to 100K miles -- and they said you definitely need to have "proof" that scheduled service (e.g., oil changes at 40K and 80K) was performed before they'll fix anything under warranty.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
Too bad us 2005-2006 DSG people with jerky transmissions get left out. I'll remember that when I go to trade my car in for a non-VW.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Andy_2009_JSW said:
... warranty is being extended to 100K miles -- and they said you definitely need to have "proof" that scheduled service (e.g., oil changes at 40K and 80K) was performed before they'll fix anything under warranty.
Perhaps they should also send another letter to all their dealers telling them how to read the PM schedule, because so many of them seem to think the DSG has 'lifetime' fluid as well. The dealer here in STL I get parts from did not even know nor sell any filter or ATF for the 02E until I called and gave them part numbers and requested it.... :rolleyes:

I can see this playing out now:

DSG owner has a tooefed gearbox at 95k miles. Still under warranty. But VW denies the warranty because the 40k and 80k services were never performed. Yet the same dealer the car is at now with the tooefed gearbox was the one that told them at both 40k and 80k they did not need to service said gearbox, and now their warranty has been voided, and the owner is now on the hook for a $6000 transmission.... Oh joy!

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
OH, you hit that right, I have about half my DSG customers tell me the same, they have lifetime DSG fluid.

The dealership, I cant believe they dont push this one, usually they are making up excuses to perform work to your car. Then they get a chance to do actual work and they say it doesn't need to be done.

It figures..

fmrownr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 1997 White and Passat TDI Wagon 1996 Maroon
Are they not setting themselves up to be liable in the event of an accident caused by a malfunction of the DSG now? They have identified a known issue but are waiting to address it until a later time. I got the letter for my '09 built in 07/08. At least it now has a 100k warranty on it.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I guess the ole' "rubbing the nose in its own piss" worked for the '09 problems. In any case, it's good to seem them handling these issues.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Funny, they really just pulled one out of Honda's playbook on this, as the Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline/MDX trans recall was identical:

"We made a POS trans, but if yours happens to be ready to die soon, we will check some little gizmo inside and fix that at no charge. If yours is NOT ready to die soon, we will warrant it to 100,000 miles. After that, the POS is on you." (Honda recall 04-021 for reference, inpecting and if necessary installing an "oil jet kit").

So basically, they are admitting they sold you a throwaway car. :rolleyes: Because now, if you are NOT one of the folks that get a new mechatronics unit, then what? Does that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the durability of YOUR particular transmission? It wouldn't if it were mine.

Man I love manual transmissions. :p

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Woo-Hoo! I got the letter today. I sure don't know a thing about some bushing in the Mechatronic, nor does my DSG jerk, but I'm purely delighted to get the 100K warranty. I'm a Happy Dawg.

Come to think on it, when I was buying the car I actually agonized a mite over whether to buy an extended warranty, specifically because the DSG had me a tetch nervous. Boy would I be a PO'd Dawg today if I had! (Further confirmation, if any was needed, that "no good deed goes unpunished")

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
For those that have received the letter, does your VIN now show up on VW's website when inquiring if there are recalls/campaigns on your car?

fmrownr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 1997 White and Passat TDI Wagon 1996 Maroon
Negative on mine. Got the letter, no mention of recall on the Website VIN utility.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
El Dobro said:
For those that have received the letter, does your VIN now show up on VW's website when inquiring if there are recalls/campaigns on your car?
If somebody can point me to the URL I'll be happy to check.

Last edited:

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Thanks, Dobro. I checked the web site, and it doesn't know about any recall on my car (even though I have letter in hand).

A thought: the way the letter is worded, it sounds like the recall might officially start next year, once they have finished developing the new diagnostic tool. If so, maybe that's why the web site doesn't know about it yet.

Or, alternatively, judging from a lot of posts I think we can begin to conclude that using the web site or calling customer care is a completely unreliable way to check whether you're under a recall. If you get a letter, then you are. Elsewise, a Magic Eight Ball is your next best source of info.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Odd. The dealership flashed my DSG last month. I never received a letter. I just put my VIN in the VW link and it said my car was not part of any recall. Hmmm. It was built in 11/08.

02VFR

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 SportWagon
It is not a recall. The letter says it is a Customer Satisfaction Program. I just scanned the letter here at work but I have to wait to get home to post it.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I received the letter yesterday for my car. For 14 months, I've been complaining about the DSG in my car and the dealer and VW reps have been telling me for those 14 months that there's nothing wrong with the trans. Now, 5-6 months from now, when they start checking the DSG's with their "tool", what if they tell me there's nothing wrong with it again? What if, after all that banging, the life of the drivetrain has been shortened and it takes a dump after 100,100 miles?

I sent a package with RO copies, correspondence with VWoA reps and a cover letter to Germany a couple of weeks ago, pretty much telling them I'm extremely unhappy about everything VW. This past Friday, I received a message from a Mr. Chris Lewis of VW that wishes to discuss the car with me. I'll be returning his call tomorrow.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
How many of you have received these letters?

I received a letter in regard to the temperature sensor earlier this year, howewever my car never came up on that VIN checker tool that is on the VW website, and it still does not show today. Word was that DSG transmission warranty was extended to 10/100 as part of the temp sensor issue, however I didn't receive a letter stating that.

I know VW does seemingly illogical stuff with regard to parts allocation and build dates, but what's the latest build date that has received a letter in regard to this issue?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess they're only covering DSG's with the banging because there's a heck of a lot more of them than the ones with the sensor issue. Still, i think this is stall on VW's part about the bushing. The original MU had about 500 miles on it before it started jolting. When a new MU was installed in my car, it was jolting again about 5 miles from the dealer, so I don't think any bushing wore out that fast.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
So, how will they determine the transmissions that are 'banging'? Should one have reported this already to be included on the list? Mine has banged from day one, and to some extent, has worsened post flash, but besides having the flash done, I've not been back to the dealer since my DSG sensor replacement. I sure hope I get one of these letters or I'm gonna be at the dealer first of the year. I can readily replicate this now.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been complaining to VW Customer Care steadily for the past 14 months and I've also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. That may have helped me get a letter. :D
I just returned a phone call for Chris Lewis of VW. I got his voicemail, so I have to wait for his return call. I did find out he's from VW's Product Liasons, whatever that is.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Elfnmagik said:
He's gonna make you an offer you can't refuse.
So, either my brains or a signature on a buyout?