Fuel system cleanout: biodiesel vs. motorvac

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
I know biodiesel cleans out the fuel system. I've been running it for 45,000 miles in my Passat. Just bought another diesel, 1987, and am wondering if biodiesel will clean out the injection pump and injectors as well as a motorvac treatment, which my mechanic is recommending. Anyone with motorvac experience?

Jerry

latitude500

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
use Biodiesel

I have only used the motorvac twice and didn't notice anything different on my dads farm trucks. If I remember it was called a dieselclean system.
For the price of using a motorvac and the price of biodiesel I would use biodiesel and simply have another filter and tools in the truck. I think the clogged filter is a little over kill. But I'm sure it has happen to someone, just not me.
What car are you thinking about doing this to. If its a MB, some of them have small screens in the fuel tank that might need to be cleaned after using the biodiesel.
Good luck and be safe.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks latitude, it is a MB. 300TD, and the screen in the tank as well as both forward fuel filters were replaced 4,000 miles ago, just before I started running some biodiesel. 43 gallons of biodiesel at an average B66 blend I've burned.

Having found a few discussions of motorvac and other fuel system cleaning machines here, I reached the same conclusion: biodiesel and Power Service Diesel Kleen will do the job. But, just to help our and see where I'm at, I'm having the injectors cleaned and spray tested this week. They have to come out for the compression test anyway...

I am planning to put an SVO system in the MB. How has your system been working?

Jerry

bioTDInBENZ

Veteran Member
For the MB i would suggest using diesel purge. They clean up all kinds of messes like coking or carbon build up. But thats mainly for the injectors and ip for the entire fuel system biodiesel is the way to go.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
JerryPT said:
Thanks latitude, it is a MB. 300TD, and the screen in the tank as well as both forward fuel filters were replaced 4,000 miles ago, just before I started running some biodiesel. 43 gallons of biodiesel at an average B66 blend I've burned.

Having found a few discussions of motorvac and other fuel system cleaning machines here, I reached the same conclusion: biodiesel and Power Service Diesel Kleen will do the job. But, just to help our and see where I'm at, I'm having the injectors cleaned and spray tested this week. They have to come out for the compression test anyway...

I am planning to put an SVO system in the MB. How has your system been working?

Jerry
Biodiesel loosens up the years of crud that have built up in your tank and lines.you may have to change that screen and those filters again.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Yeah, but I wouldn't worry about the lines until they NEED replacing. I have been running my 1985 300D on B100 for about a year and the lines are still okay.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks for all the suggestions. I know I will need to replace the "rubber" fuel lines eventually, and that it takes a while before they go soft and mushy.

I have two new fuel filters, one will go in after a bit more biodiesel and the other will be a spare in case it ever does clog.

Does Power Service make Diesel Purge?

What's your favorite wvo system?

Jerry

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Diesel Purge is a Lubro-Moly product. Impex has it.

What's your favorite wvo system?
That depends on what you want to do. You can build a WVO system cheaper than buying one, or having on professionally installed. In Oregon, you'll probably want to go with a two-tank system. You can either modify the existing tank for WVO and another small tank for petro/bio, or use the original tank for petro/bio and install a modified tank for the WVO. It just depends on how much work it would be to modify the original fuel tank vs. how much room you want to take up with the second tank.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks McBrew, I have installed a WVO system in a 1985 Golf, an early neoteric (Canada) system with two tanks. That's my conclusion also, two tanks for this vehicle in my climate-- especially since I like to ski.

I'll take this to another forum now that I have my original question answered.

Jerry

latitude500

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
The grease car kit is running great. Love not paying for fuel that much. with the MB 300 your going ot have lots of room under the hood to put your filter and vavles.

You also might want to look into an electric heating element to speed up the switch over.

Good luck