2002 Monsoon Double DIN premium VI to aftermarket radio questions

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I am removing my Premium VI radio this weekend and installing a Pioneer CarPlay stereo. My car has the Monsoon amp. I have already prewired the speaker wires from the stereo harness to the metra adapter. I will source my switched power from the key-line in the column or the #30 pin in my instrument cluster to retain the stock feature of keeping the power on the unit while the key is in the ignition.

My questions are: 1) where should I source the power to the Monsoon amp? A picture would help me.

It seems that most of the stereo install threads that I am seeing have broken links to the pictures and it seems that most people contradict each other on the Premium VI double DIN stereo. It appears that I do not have a K-wire because of the double DIN.

Question 2: Are there wires that I should absolutely not connect to my factory harness via the Metra adapter?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
By "power to the Monsoon amp", are you referring to the 'turn-on' line? Monsoon doesn't use one - it's a signal-detection thing, instead (IIRC, the LR input.)

Since it sounds like you're using a 'simple' Metra adapter (not a 'fancy adapter with a box'), do not connect the K-line, nor the CAN bus, to the radio. The adapter is (should be) 'missing' those pins. If it isn't, individually tape off those wires on the adapter harness.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am using the simple adapter. From what I have read, the expensive ones can fail in a couple years and then you are stuck replacing it or getting the simple one.
Yes, I was referring to the turn on line.

Back to the monsoon amp, it will detect a signal from the head unit for the speakers and then send it to the speakers? It gets its power from another source I take it.

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Correct. The amp (like, well, any amp) has its own power supply.
Unlike most amps, though, it's a 'signal detection' turn-on, rather than a dedicated line.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
This install is done and working well. thanks for the help.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In the trunk on the left side behind the panel.