2021 TDIFest Discusion Thread

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The default Summer GTG will be at the Ypsilanti Marriott at Eagle Crest on the weekend of June 18th/19th/20th, 2021. This coincides with the 2021 NAIAS, AKA Detroit Auto Show. June 19th is the first day the show is open to the public. Format will be the same as the former winter GTGs when the auto show was in January.

However, with that being said, 'IF' we can get a team of dedicated and responsible people in place, we do have time to get a full blown TDIFest going. A TDIFest does not have to be in the Detroit area or coincide with the Detroit Auto Show. It can be where ever the team wants it to be.

The organizing time clock starts NOW!

Now being the time stamp of this post.

:)

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I still regret not going to the one in Wisconsin. Hopefully 2021 will be a reality. Now the big question for me - do I bring my Mk4 or my Mk6?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think BK had a good plan, but pandemics tend to interrupt things. I think it would work for 2021, potentially.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I think BK had a good plan, but pandemics tend to interrupt things. I think it would work for 2021, potentially.

Let's hope so. I'd like to attend another Fest before I get too old to drive. :D

I'd need another TDI though. Been off the diesel bandwagon for a while now, but always looking for that "cherry" ALH to come my way.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yeah, if we had one more I would have to come without my wife as she is on oxygen 100% of the time now and needs a walker. Car trips with her are a chore and not much fun.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Almost sounds like it might make for a good diesel show. Then just have a cars section, and a trucks section. I've never been to a TDI fest so I don't know if this if this would work but it seems like it could. I could be wrong, but it seems like it might be hard to get enough people to help. I would if i knew how these things worked, what was involved, and had been to one before. How many people usually go to these?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
This was and is about TDI’s and there people,I don’t think it would go over that well with other types of vehicles just my thoughts on this

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
This was and is about TDI’s and there people,I don’t think it would go over that well with other types of vehicles just my thoughts on this
ok, I can see that... just a thought. I see people driving tdi's all the time, but I don't think they have the same "coolness" that they had in the early 2000's and previous to that. seems like a lot of people around where i live don't know what there driving. it's just another car to them:(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
ok, I can see that... just a thought. I see people driving tdi's all the time, but I don't think they have the same "coolness" that they had in the early 2000's and previous to that. seems like a lot of people around where i live don't know what there driving. it's just another car to them:(
That's the problem in a nutshell. Folks who drove rotary pump TDIs (even if they've now moved on to newer ones) make up a lot of the audience for this kind of event. People who have bought buyback cars may be enthusiasts, but some of them were simply looking for a good deal on a relatively new car that got good FE and has a good warranty. They're not going to show up at something like this.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have been here since the Beginning......member # 131 is very Low! and actually was reading here in 1997.....Bought my !st TDI in 1999 and have owned 11 TDI"s I still own the 2015 Jetta SEL TDI I bought new in 2015 before VW screwed the Pooch......although my Wife drives that one now!
My daily driver now is actually a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel! and I also have a 2014 BMW 328D Xdrive! love them all! I attended all TDI Fests except the 2 out West and there are only 3 other Folks here that have attended more.....Most of the folks who organized the last Fests have moved on sadly! I would still try to attend! Love The people!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it sounds like lots of fun, but having never attended one idk what to expect or how many people attend. it'd also be something i'd have to find time for if in another state.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I think it sounds like lots of fun, but having never attended one idk what to expect or how many people attend. it'd also be something i'd have to find time for if in another state.
You could go back and look at some of the old Fests threads and pictures......But since there hasn’t really been an organized Fest for over 5 years I doubt if there will ever be anything like what had before sadly I made many lifetime friends and got to see parts of the Country I would never have seen otherwise....l

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe just find an open parking lot somewhere and start showing up? Wouldn't be much of a fund raiser though.
Seems a bit easier maybe, and there doesn't have to be a huge set up. we have car shows in certain parking lots, or at the fairgrounds around here all the time. In a town 15mi. south of me they have car shows every Friday outside the county market store during the summer. I think that this kind of set up would just be considered a gtg though....

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
You could go back and look at some of the old Fests threads and pictures......But since there hasn’t really been an organized Fest for over 5 years I doubt if there will ever be anything like what had before sadly I made many lifetime friends and got to see parts of the Country I would never have seen otherwise....l
sounds like something so cool to be apart of!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Interesting. I agree that Fall in Michigan is great: I'm missing getting to Kick Blackmore's GTG this year (of course it's not happening).

And just to pick nits with autoblog, it appears that Zac (author) didn't pay attention in English the day they taught him not to end sentences with prepositions. That last sentence is pathetic.