AC compressor not turning on nor fans

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Just over a year ago we installed brand new ac compressor and clutch and dryer and condenser . Also replaced the large fan as it was dead. I don’t think compressor will turn on if the fans won’t? Is that true? What controls the fans? A fan switch or a fuse? It should be something simple since most parts are practically new? It stopped working when I had it in the shop for a new bew lift pump that went dead. What should we check first? Thanks!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check the green fuses on top of the battery.
I believe it's the green fuse all the way to the left for ac, they have a habit of getting some corrosion on them.
Most times you can wiggle them to get it going, but make sure it's not blown first.
Car does not need to be running to get fans to run. Make sue a/c switched on , fan control
Set to at least 1 and ignition sw to on position, both fans should run, if not start there, if they do start car and check if compressor comes on.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
This is a sticky at the top of the forum. Read and follow it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

Thanks, we replaced the fcm and fans still not turning on? Seems the computer is not sending a 12v signal out? Now we’re kind of stumped? We put 12v to the fcm and the fans turn on and compressor runs? My mechanic has a call out to tech to figure this out? Running Malone tune for 8 years hopefully ecm isn’t faulty? Car runs fine and does not overheat. What could be keeping the 12v from not hitting the fcm? It’s a green wire and there is no current coming down it to activate the fcm? Fans will turn on once engine heats up to cool radiator they just won’t come on for a/c? Any ideas guys? Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pretty sure there is. It's a lot of reading but the various PDFs in Post #1 are comprehensive, he covers the AC operation, not just the fans.