2009 Jetta TDI rattle in front end after clutch master and slave cylinder replacement

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I just got my 2009 Jetta TDI back from the shop. They replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders (the slave is INSIDE the transmission - 6 speed). Clutch, engine and gearbox seem to be going great. The car is making at rattling noise from somewhere in the front. Seems mostly from small imperfections, even road texture. I tried to capture the noise on video, but I'm not sure if I was sucessful. I'll post a link if it turned out. The rattle doesn't seem to vary according to engine RPM or vehicle speed (other than how speed affects how the car goes over surface imperfections/road texture). It is often loudest when slowing to a stop (less than 10 mph?) on bumpy pavement. When pulling out on to the road, it seems not to be noticeable until above 20 mph. What would they have taken apart to remove the transmission that would rattle like this? Is there any chance this is from leaving the transmission oil out or anything else that is going to cost me big bucks? I keep getting the feeling that it is transmission oil, but that is mostly because I'm paranoid. There are no gear whines and it shifts great.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If it was my car I would jack it up and do some checking. To replace your clutch they would have to remove both front tires, 2 motor mounts, one axle completely (drivers side) and take the other one loose. I think there are some bolts that hold a couple of dust sheilds in place and possibly part of the exhaust was disconnected. Check all that or take it back and tell them to check it. If you've got a rattle that wasn't there before have them fix it you paid someone to do a job, completely.

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I'm going to take it back, I'm hoping its something they can find quick, because I can't leave it there. I was just hoping you guys had some insight into something common that would do that or somebody would say "OMG that exactly what a transmission w/o oil sounds like!"

I did put it up on ramps last night and poked around on everything under there I could find. There was nothing loose I could find. I did find the little plastic thing which directs air from the upper grill area into the intake pipe that goes into the air cleaner wasn't clicked in properly, which I connected. I also found they left a foot long punch/awl thingy on the cowl. Neither of these was the problem.

Last edited:

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Solved!

UPDATE: I took it back to the shop. Looks like the VW dealer left a 13/16ths inch socket (one of the black "pneumatic tool") ones under my hood somewhere. My mechanic says its not his, so I'm keeping it.

WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE VW DEALER USE A 13/16ths SOCKET!!! Aren't all the bolts metric?

Anyway, I'm happy that my car is now actually fixed!