EA288 confirmed across the board by year end

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Ive never ridden in an A2 :( but I imagine the ride quality is probably pretty nice as well.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So, oilhammer, the bigger the number, the higher the satisfaction? That's what i've been hearing for years...

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I went from a 1992 Jetta 1.6TD to a 2006 Jetta TDI. As Oilhammer stated, the A5 is lightyears ahead. My first reaction when I sat in it for the first time was, "wow, I feel like I'm driving a new BMW..." Of course, it was a quantum leap for for me, skipping two generations.

However, as much as I loved and love the A5, I do remember missing the A2. VWs simply remain desirable for their lifetime. I missed the connection the A2 had with the road and I, as the driver. The A5 is brilliant and essentially better in every way, but new cars remove the driver from the harsh environment more and more. The A2 was a raw and fun little experience.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And that is why I chose to keep my A2. :D At least, my favorite one. I wish I had my second favorite one still as well, my '86 GTI.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
So when do we expect this new motor? September of 2012 here in the states? Hopefully it has a different HPFP on it.

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
I would expect to see the motor next September at the earliest. I'm not catching on the article exactly what the features of the motor that we will get. Are we getting 2.0 EU6 with the VVA? That would be sweet if we do....I will certainly wait for one of them in a few years then.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
We'll get something similar to the EU6 motor, because our standards are STRICTER than EU6.

Corvus

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I can only hope that VW will have the wisdom and courtesy to tell us how many miles is "lifetime" for the timing belt on that engine, versus the engine mechanicals. I would not accept "lifetime" as the mean time to failure of the timing belt. For example, those of us who own the B5 TDI have decided that it is truly wisdom to change the auto transmission's "lifetime" fluid & filter every 100K or so.
The service schedule manual on my new 2012 Jetta says I should change the timing belt at 130K miles.

C.

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
We'll get something similar to the EU6 motor, because our standards are STRICTER than EU6.

That's what I was thinking. I thought I read somewhere that Europe was merging their standards with North America and we would then start to see more diesels in other vehicles across the market.

Maybe there will be a few years before that happens with the merging...

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Europe won't "merge" if it means killing the domestic automakers that have invested many billions in diesel technology. It's the one significant advantage they still hold in the European market over Asian carmakers. Consider that many of the diesel engines in Asian cars sold in EU also come from European makers...

The EUx standards have kept getting stricter over time, but regulators were always carefull to push the OEMs only as far as they will bend, without risking to break.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
How's that possible?
Easy, they will calculate a MTBF of 200,000 miles and bank on the fact that 1) folks will trade well before that or 2) the warranty will long be expired so it will be "so sad, too bad", here's your $10k bill to put it right again.

They already tried this with the balance shaft design on the B5 Passats. But they miscalculated, and instead some failed as low as 40k miles but some have gone much farther too, depending on many factors such as type of use (steady-state vs in town), and pure old fashioned luck (bad tensioner casting crap shoot).

But at least it isn't a chain. VW doesn't do a good job with chains :p

prothe

TDI
99 Golf
It's clear that VW's priorities in the US are power and emissions and not fuel economy.

They brought their 800cc TDI Up Light Hybrid Concept to LA in 2009 to temp us, but it's clear now that they weren't serious.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...p-light-concept-hints-at-future-hybrid-models

The other thing that annoys me about this engine is the extremely high level of complexity that will increase the overall cost of ownership of the car in the long run.

The reason to buy a diesel should be to save money in the long run. I'm not sure that the new engines will accomplish that goal.

fisc

TDI
2000, 2002
It's clear that VW's priorities in the US are power and emissions and not fuel economy.

They brought their 800cc TDI Up Light Hybrid Concept to LA in 2009 to temp us, but it's clear now that they weren't serious.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...p-light-concept-hints-at-future-hybrid-models

The other thing that annoys me about this engine is the extremely high level of complexity that will increase the overall cost of ownership of the car in the long run.

The reason to buy a diesel should be to save money in the long run. I'm not sure that the new engines will accomplish that goal.
There's nothing cheap about maintaining the current (ALH, PD, and CR) engines...I own two ALH TDI's (5sp and auto) and love the way the engines perform...thus I take very good care of them.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, it's "cheap" to maintain an ALH if you buy Chinese parts.

Until those parts fail 5000 miles later and trash your engine...

(But, compared to a modern TDI, an ALH is fairly cheap to maintain.)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The other thing that annoys me about this engine is the extremely high level of complexity that will increase the overall cost of ownership of the car in the long run. ....
Remember that a lot (almost all) of the complexity is being forced on them by emissions regulations. The old indirect injection diesels wouldn't come close to what modern engines are required to meet.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Even the PD engines lost their advantage when the cams wore out. Most fuel savings was eaten up by repair costs. That was where it started going bad for tdi's in general.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
To be fair, an ALH eating an injection pump costs just as much, if not more, than a PD cam... granted, it's easier to prevent.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, just like making sure you have lubricity helps the VE pumps, putting oil of the correct weight in helps the PD cams. ;)

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
Unfortunately, I'm fixing to replace my Cam in my PD motor :( I'm at 95k right now

I'm lucky to even 38mpg anymore and nothing has changed with driving and maintenance. So, timing belt is getting replaced with one of Franko6s' cams will go in.

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I'm still waiting for my PD to 'eat a cam'. It's gonna be a long wait. :)
I remember waiting and grinning, all the while using the spec'd oil.
I'm not grinning anymore but I hope you can for a long time...there are plenty of others not grinning either.
I'm sure it didn't help when the dealer sold me 5w-30 505.01 either.

2td

TDI
Jettas 2 rabbits4 plus tractors 360 subaru parts van
2 cycle,,opposed cylinder, opposed head.. The best engine,,,in grid lock is a motor.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I remember waiting and grinning, all the while using the spec'd oil.
I'm not grinning anymore but I hope you can for a long time...there are plenty of others not grinning either.
I'm sure it didn't help when the dealer sold me 5w-30 505.01 either.
5w30 is NOT the 'spec'd' oil. Read your owner's manual again. :)

The correct oil IS available, but you'd have to spoon feed a part number to your local dealer. :rolleyes:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1884246/ES1293501/

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
2.0-Liter EA288 doesn't sound like an improvement. In corporations these days, one must propose change to keep a job. Shaving 0.5% off supply chain or manufacturing costs is more important than improvement.

A 1.6 liter Golf TDI would sell in the US. The fuel economy numbers would cause them to vaporize from the dealer lots. It would outperform every gas powered roller skate out there, and drive better. But profit margin would not be very large. From a corporate view, that's no improvement.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
5w30 is NOT the 'spec'd' oil. Read your owner's manual again. :)

The correct oil IS available, but you'd have to spoon feed a part number to your local dealer. :rolleyes:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1884246/ES1293501/
I knew that since day one, but my plan to be warranty proof was to buy the 505.01 oil from the dealer and do the changes myself. When they sold me the 5w-30, I protested but they assured me it was fine. My posts here resulted in replies just like yours above to 'don't worry about it, it's 505.01 like the sticker says'. They did not carry 5w-40 at the time or for quite a while actually. I think I used it only once or twice at the most. They may have it now, but it's too late.:mad:
I did get a BSM under warranty, which many didn't. That would also negate any cost benefit of the tdi:eek:

Last edited: