www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old April 13th, 2020, 11:23   #31
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Every once in a while I poke around for a Vanagon Westfalia. Given their age and the insane prices people want for good ones, my search doesn't usually go anywhere. For obvious reasons people like to swap TDIs into those vans, but if I could have my pick I'd get an air-cooled one and keep the original engine.
Old April 14th, 2020, 04:33   #32
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

This thread has some interesting history despite the negative revue of the TDI's. My Golf is my first VW, and I am the original owner, if that tells you anything.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 07:36   #33
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Every once in a while I poke around for a Vanagon Westfalia. Given their age and the insane prices people want for good ones, my search doesn't usually go anywhere. For obvious reasons people like to swap TDIs into those vans, but if I could have my pick I'd get an air-cooled one and keep the original engine.
I'm the same way about a square back or fast back. My wife thinks I'm nouts but I'd love a project car like this.

There's a guy close to me that has two beetles for sale. He put the signs on them after the social distancing hit so I haven't stopped to look at them. Bodies are fair but maybe the engines are in good shape. Not sure of years since it looks like he's not been able to find the correct bumpers.
Old April 14th, 2020, 08:02   #34
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38.5

Old VW's are gold anymore especially the bus in any form. I have been looking for a good deal on a type 3, preferably a fastback, but they don't seem to appear anymore anywhere. I would not put in an air cooler unless it was in really good shape, thinking diesel conversion, or 1.4T.
I did find a type 4 fastback, without title unfortunately, but it is a real restoration project where I would have to make most parts needed. I had planned to do a common rail swap into it, and who knows maybe someday i will.
Till then, Beetles are still findable in good condition if you look hard enough.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 10:52   #35
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq import repair View Post
Old VW's are gold anymore especially the bus in any form. I have been looking for a good deal on a type 3, preferably a fastback, but they don't seem to appear anymore anywhere. I would not put in an air cooler unless it was in really good shape, thinking diesel conversion, or 1.4T.
I did find a type 4 fastback, without title unfortunately, but it is a real restoration project where I would have to make most parts needed. I had planned to do a common rail swap into it, and who knows maybe someday i will.
Till then, Beetles are still findable in good condition if you look hard enough.
There has been some conversions with the Subaru flat four. water cooling, more power, and I think it can still fit under the engine cover.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:11   #36
nayr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Audi Q7

my 1975 Westy is coming home in a few weeks for the first time in years, finally gonna start making progress on its ALH swap thanks to the funding provided by my 3.0L TDI settlement.. bought it a decade ago for $1000, fixed up its motor and putted it around for a good while, but up here in Colorado its far too anemic with that original engine.. it cant even keep up with the big rigs on any passes, ive been WOT and barely able to maintain 40mph on i25 with everyone flying by me doing 70mph+.. Tho I did drive it to the top of Pikes Peak so when you take away all the other traffic it can still climb.

an ALH should give it all the power it needs, while being reliable enough I can take it across the country without the thing packed full of spare parts.

Last edited by nayr; April 14th, 2020 at 11:15.
nayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:20   #37
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Your '75 must be sick. My 1.8L L-jet '75 took us all over the mountains, several times. The one that struggled was my '79 Westy because it had a pedal deficiency.

The '75 is geared a bit lower than the '76+, that I am sure helped. Although later on I swapped in an 091 from a later one, and I am sure I took it through some mountain passes after that.
Old April 14th, 2020, 12:26   #38
nayr
Veteran Member

yeah it was not in the greatest shape, it sat for 15y not running when I got it.. the kid got it from his grandpa who was a bus guy but he didnt know how to keep it in tune.. took it home, timed it and adjusted the valves and it fired right up.. putted around town great for a few years after restoring all the cooling tins, but on the passes someone would invariably cut me off and make me let off throttle, which would undo all my momentum and take forever to regain what was lost.

Eventually it dropped a valve seat, dented a piston.. so I looked into cost of doing a good full rebuild on it and decided to screw that noise, with my high altitude needs thats alot of money to spend on something thats gonna struggle to stay cool and not burn up within 100k, I could do a TDI swap for cheaper.. I've got ALH w/160k in my garage that has fresh timing belt, with the throttle and ECU, the bell housing off an 091 so I can later swap to the stronger gearbox w/same adapter plate.. the big thing stopping me is the body work to fix up the nose and retrofit a radiator into it, thats beyond my abilities so it needed a big pile of cash to get the ball rolling.

Its coming home now so I'mna get it running again, has new heads but still has dented piston I shaved the burrs off of.. just needs to drive its self back and forth to the body shops this summer and once all the body work is out of the way and primered I'll start fitting the engine over the winter hopefully, I'll do at least 10k miles proving the swap is sound before stripping it down, spray it, and then refurbishing everything.

Last edited by nayr; April 14th, 2020 at 12:44.
Old April 14th, 2020, 20:56   #39
borninabus

Fuel Economy: Better

sounds like a fun project, Nayr.

are you familiar with the brazilian made buses? not sure when they went watercooled, but they were made up until 2012. that radiator takes some getting used to, but it's factory. there is a member @ thesamba.com who works for a VW dealer in mexico city and can get all the parts. not cheap and shipped from mexico, not cheap X2. judging by the Audi in your sig, you're the type to do things right. pm if you'd like his contact info.

there is a bunch of info over on that "other site" about conversions done on buses and vanagons too! would love to see you over there
borninabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 21:54   #40
nayr
Veteran Member

yeah thats the plan, was just going to get the grill cover and use it to hide an abomination hack job behind it, but if someone's helping obtain all the actual original parts I could be persuaded to take that path.. when I specced all this out way back when just getting the grille was gonna be a challenge let alone everything else.. I'll hit yeh up..

My nose needs some work, has quite a bit of rust and the spare tire that was moved to the front put a nice dent/holes in it.. existing plan was to cut out a notch between framerails, box it in.. put a new front windshield in then hide the hack job behind the brazilian radiator cover.. There will also be a 2nd coolant loop going to a smaller radiator infront for an AWIC.. not wanting any of the heat issues that plague other WC swaps with hidden underbody rads and whatnot.. I wanna cruise the country in this thing w/out burning it up, mebe pulling a small trailer so we can pull over and sleep w/out unloading camp gear and making room.. the rear engine mount I fab is going to double as a receiver hitch.

One of the best things going WC is gonna have working heat, gonna put in front and back heat exchangers and a webasto diesel fueled coolant heater for pre-heating and camping, kinda tempted to run a heat exchanger into the sink box and add hot drinking water tap.. but we'll see, space is limited.

The final paint/color scheme will be Tardis themed, so blue/white.

Last edited by nayr; April 14th, 2020 at 22:04.
Old April 15th, 2020, 13:08   #41
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat:44mpg Golf 52MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post

I'd argue that the ALH is the best 4 cylinder engine made, perhaps rivaled by Toyota's 2.4L Pickup (and Previa) engine. You want a bad 4 cylinder: GM Ecotec, especially the early ones. And the worst of all time? the Vega 2.3L engine.
I had the displeasure of owing a 1989 Dodge Shadow, with the 2.5 4 cyl. engine. You couldn't beat it for oil consumption, and piston slap...
quartersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2020, 13:15   #42
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat:44mpg Golf 52MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Your '75 must be sick. My 1.8L L-jet '75 took us all over the mountains, several times. The one that struggled was my '79 Westy because it had a pedal deficiency.

The '75 is geared a bit lower than the '76+, that I am sure helped. Although later on I swapped in an 091 from a later one, and I am sure I took it through some mountain passes after that.
I had both a '75, and '79 Transporter. The '75 was a much better performer on the road, and it was really noticeable when climbing hills. That '79 (Ca.) emissions system choked the daylights out of that vehicle.
Funny, but I miss those air cooled buses. That ship has long sailed, with what people are asking for those cars, these days. My first VeeDub was a '64 Bus, with a 1500 installed. -Could drive it all day, on a 'bucks worth of regular' in 1972!
quartersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2020, 13:47   #43
atc98002
Veteran Member

I think the overall problem with the lead article is that the author lumped all TDIs into the same bucket. We all understand there is a significant difference between models, with the only common factor being the TDI label and that they use diesel fuel. There's no comparison to the latest CR engines that the company used to cheat the EPA tests, and the early models that could still burn almost anything. Huge performance difference between them as well.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2020, 16:56   #44
D. Lynch

I have fond memories of our Jetta tdi. It was a joy. It surprised many gti's for performance!
It was chipped.
Good car. Thanks VW.
D. Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2020, 19:19   #45
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

That's obviously a 'virtue signalling' author to declare that the tdi was one of the worst. I can think of a whole host of crap engines from the decade that would beat it hands down.

The complaint isn't due to the engine itself, it's due to the nanny statist view that cuz VW lied, that engine is bad...naughty VW. How about taking emissions standards away from bureaucrats who are doing nothing but pushing a particular agenda?

I get so tired of this BS.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote