Diesel, Cleaner, Is Set to Make a Comeback

LucasTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW TDI
“The car is very fun to drive, it’s quick for blasting between the lights and it handles wonderfully,” Mr. Earley said. “I am still amazed that diesel in America is normally relegated to pickup trucks and commercial vehicles.”

Only when fuel prices go up do Americans even consider a diesel,....never mind that
65-75% of vehicles in Europe are diesel....keep that SUV, "Crossover" or other trendy car-box vehicle. the American fuel companies and car companies want you to waste gas and want you to accept 30 MPG as something wonderful to behold.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I agree, good article. Until our government develops some common sense and encourages 1) increased diesel production and 2) lowers the tax on diesel, the price of diesel will remain higher than gas, even though it is cheaper to produce. Still, they'd rather promote impractical "green" approaches like ethanol. Too many disincentives for passenger diesel cars to expand. The end of the article talks about biodiesel as an alternative, but the technology will have to change, at least for today's TDIs, before we'll be able to use a significant percentage of BD in our cars.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Anyone catch the vegetable oil reference at the end?

Want to bet some idiot will buy a 2011 TDI, and pour veggie straight in the tank?

(For that matter, want to bet some idiot will put B100 in the tank?)

Holmie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Silver-- Wifes car
i think the problems lie not with the price of fuel but with the EPA having their collective head up a diesel's tailpipe. VOC's no problem fill up in the evening. until someone steps back from the current thinking and start looking at everything plus use some common sense my wifes car will still be "dirtier" than a nissan pickup that barely gets 17 MPG.

Can't tell me yaris/civic/fit/rio/spectra/focus/cobalt/cruze drivers would not take a serious look at a 65+ MPG Polo

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
VOC isn't a problem with diesel anyway. ;)

(That's actually where "diesel pumps are filthy" comes from - the stuff isn't volatile, so it doesn't evaporate.)

Holmie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Silver-- Wifes car
VOC isn't a problem with diesel anyway. ;)
(That's actually where "diesel pumps are filthy" comes from - the stuff isn't volatile, so it doesn't evaporate.)
that was the point diesel does not have that problem but gas cars don't get penalized on their emissions for it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We filled my wife's car yesterday while the truck was filling the storage tanks. Talk about odor! My wife thought I spilled gas on my shoes.

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
Anyone catch the vegetable oil reference at the end?

Want to bet some idiot will buy a 2011 TDI, and pour veggie straight in the tank?

(For that matter, want to bet some idiot will put B100 in the tank?)
i know several idiots who drive their newer jettas on b100. if you drive it like a diesel is supposed to be driven (long highway trips with low emissions), you dont trigger dpf regen and have no problems with oil dilution

klrman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
Self Study Guide

Awesome link, bhtooefr! I just bought a new TDI and was thinking I'd like to read up on how they work, preferably with pictures. Now I can! Thanks!

(I'll stay away from the b100!)