Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

TDI
I messed up when I posted the info about the new Jetta headlights yesterday. The ratio of Jetta to Golf lights I sell is rather high, so my head was thinking all about the Jetta when I posted.

To clarify, the 2.0 lights and their new projectors are for the Jetta only. The Golf headlight assemblies are not big enough to fit the projectors. So the Golf lights will remain with their original projectors. The Golf projectors take a modified bulb that is spicific to the projector itself. That being said, there are plenty of places to get bulb replacements. The bulb fits the G1, G3, and G8 projectors. You can find them on many website, ebay, amazon, etc. Here is an example.

Last edited:

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I messed up when I posted the info about the new Jetta headlights yesterday. The ratio of Jetta to Golf lights I sell is rather high, so my head was thinking all about the Jetta when I posted.

To clarify, the 2.0 lights and their new projectors are for the Jetta only. The Golf headlight assemblies are not big enough to fit the projectors. So the Golf lights will remain with their original projectors. The Golf projectors take a modified bulb that is spicific to the projector itself. That being said, there are plenty of places to get bulb replacements. The bulb fits the G1, G3, and G8 projectors. You can find them on many website, ebay, amazon, etc. Here is an example.
Thanks for the clarification. Do you have any photos of the Golf headlights with the projectors?

TDI
Here are photos of the first Golf set I made. When I make them now, I actually widen the mounting hole for them so that the projectors sit back farther in the housing and aren't as close to the lens, but the overall look is the same.

TDI
^First of all, +1 for using the phrase "cat's meow". I think the space is probably there, but it would require heavy modification of the lights. Note the install time on the page listed as 7 hours, my guess though is that it would actually be longer. I don't think that it is something that I would want to get into, but it can be done I'm sure..

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Here are photos of the first Golf set I made. When I make them now, I actually widen the mounting hole for them so that the projectors sit back farther in the housing and aren't as close to the lens, but the overall look is the same.

I might be looking at the pictures wrong, but are the projectors mounted in front of the old reflectors?

TDI
^ Correct. The reflector is modified in order for these projectors to fit correctly. The projector shows on the reflector side, but is actually mounted to the other side of the reflector. Now, the difference between these and the Acura TL projectors in terms of modifying the headlights is that the Acura ones require a ton of modification. These are only minor in their modification requirement.

TDI
They do, but the problem with mounting them without modifying is that the length of the projector are normally such that mounting them in the original bulb holder means that there is not clearance at the front of the headlight lens. By that I am referring to the Jetta headlights. The same goes for the Golf headlights. For a Ford Focus for example, there is not issue, but for the Golf and Jetta IV it is not a great option in my opinion.

GASDAG

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5MT Sedan Silver, 2004 GMC Sierra i.e. no need for a wagon
Subscribed for a local pro! Good work Jeff! Are you a business with a shop or an enthusiast in a basement/ home garage?
Do you have any pics of the mk5 headlights with the version 2 in an all black/ no chrome/ no angel eyes configuration?

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Could there be any kind of discount if I could send you my stock lights to be modified? I bought some ecodes but have my stock lights which are fine aside from hazy reflectors which I would love to have modded.

BlueGolfTDI

TDI
Golf, 2005, Blue
With the standard (as is in the installation instructions) wiring, for the Golf with Angel Eyes, which lights turn on when?

Sitting:
DRLs:
Lights on:
High beams:

Thanks,

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
With the standard (as is in the installation instructions) wiring, for the Golf with Angel Eyes, which lights turn on when?

Sitting:
DRLs:
Lights on:
High beams:

Thanks,
Assuming you don't have a Euro switch and you haven't disabled your DRL's with a stock light switch:

This is how my lights work with Jeff wiring everything inside the light housing so all I did was put on the stock connector.

Sitting with the emergency brake on, light switch off. No lights
The HID's will power up as DRL's, car running, emergency brake off
The HID's will power up as regular "lights on" when you turn on the lights at the switch.
The HID's are also the high beams, a reflector flips up when you pull back on the stalk.

Hope this helps
If you were to get a EURo switch, you'd have more options

I'm not sure what options you'd have with parking lights/angel eyes but Jeff can wire them up any way you'd like

Last edited:
TDI
Hey guys,

Lots of headlight building these past few weeks, havn't been as up on the thread as I would like. I'll try to answer a few questions asked recently.

Lito pretty much summed up the Jetta headlight settings.

For the golf, everything is the same as well. The only difference is that with the Golf there is a high beam option. The high beams can be the stock halogen bulb, the HID projector, or both. It is a customer decision. Nothing changes from the user end, it is just a wiring modification that I do.

These will not cause any CEL on an MK4.

There would be a discount if the customer supplies lights. The value I add over a set of regular headlights comes from the retrofitting process. If the customer sends me their lights, I would just charge the normal rates less what a set of headlight assemblies costs me.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
For the golf, everything is the same as well. The only difference is that with the Golf there is a high beam option. The high beams can be the stock halogen bulb, the HID projector, or both. It is a customer decision. Nothing changes from the user end, it is just a wiring modification that I do.
So when you click the lights to "high" either the high beams come on and the low beams go off OR they both stay on? I'm a little confused...could you expand a little?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
"The HID's are also the high beams, a reflector flips up when you pull back on the stalk. "
So if you also wire up the H7 hi beam bulb that is in the reflector you get both.
There is only one HID bulb it is always on and it is in a bi-xenon projector.

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Which, in the case of the Mk4 Jetta, brings up an interesting point. Normally, engaging high beams will cut the power to the low beam at the stalk. Fixing that normally requires a couple methods but the best mod is done at the stalk itself. You use the high beam signal to trigger the shield and that's fine but how do you keep the low beam circuit high? Some just feed the low beam circuit via diode from the high beam lead but considering the load, the stalk mod seemed the best. Enlighten me...

TDI
The lights come with a relay harness which is specifically designed to avoid this issue. You are correct in saying that there would be an issue with the two beams. You can mod the wiring in the turn signal stalk/steering column/headlight switch to make both of them come on, but that is too much for most people.

The relay harness included with the lights has a capacitor inside. When you switch from the low beams to the high beams, the capacitor is there to prevent power cutoff to the bulb. The relay is also designed to allow power from the battery to power the bulb with the relay receives a signal from either the low beam or the high beam wiring. So when you switch from low to highs, power remains on the bulb, a temporary outage is prevented by a capacitor, and along with powering up the HID bulb, the relay also sends out power to the projector shutter to retract under the high beam condition.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Building that logic into the relay is a good solution. It doesn't require the purchaser to perform any mods, keeps things 'transparent' and allows refitting of the OEM stuff if necessary. Not the case with my current HID's.

Though I didn't mention it, there's also a difference between the way high beams and 'flash' mode logic on the Jetta. Using 'flash' mode, the stalk actually powers both the high and low beam circuits vs high beam only where the high beam circuit goes hot and the lows go dead.

Your lights are definitely on my list. Just need to find the right financial opportunity. I can only hope you're not burned out on making them by then. Thanks for the info.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
So when you click the lights to "high" either the high beams come on and the low beams go off OR they both stay on? I'm a little confused...could you expand a little?
On your Golf, there are separate bulbs for low and high beam. When you pull back the stalk, they both come on(lows are already on, high beams join them).

When you push your stalk forward, the lows cut off and the highs STAY on until you pull the stalk back.

With the HID setup in a GOLF:

When you pull the stalk back, the HID projector flips up a shield that allows the full amount of light to project as Jayb79 post illustrates. AND, the High beam bulb (non HID) also come on. So the HID light acts as the low and high beam, it's just how much of the light is being projected.

If Jeff's wiring harness/relay is used, and the stalk is pushed forward the HID shield flips up and stays up instead of turning off the HID light.

I think Jeff can wire the separate, non HID bulb to either come on with the HID bulb or not when the stalk is pushed forward.

You can also have the HID bulb go out when the non-HID bulb is lighted(stalk pushed forward), but that's the choice you have.

On the OEM Jetta/Bora HID's, there is also a separate non HID bulb which is used for the high beams. When I push my stalk forward, my HID bulb goes out and the non HID bulb comes on until I pull the stalk back. Then the HID comes back on.

Hope this helps