2microntech - Helping to Keep Your Common Rail VW Alive!!

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Please add me to the list for the Stage III CR170 Micron kit>

Thx
Jim

Aldon

TDI
2009 Jetta built 12/2008
Please add me too

Andrew,
Please add me to the list for both Flow kits as well -- thanks! (PM box still full.)

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Pics of the Dozenspeed Variant Prototype Kit

Hey folks! I thought I should share, so.....

I know Andrew has been partly busy sorting out a couple complications involving intalling these kits on my car. I have been working with him for several months on getting these running in my car, a taxi churning out a consistant 5,500 miles per month that I aim to run to 500k and beyond. So I feel HPFP failure is merely a question of time.

Despite many installations on various models prior to mine, my 2011 6MT (Build 3/11) did not have adequate operating clearence for the availabe kit of the time. Now with Andrew's sheer determination and patience, a specialized, 2micron filter holder designed to use an alternate filter is up and running problem free.

A: The factory fuel filter housing

B: The Pure Flow Kit, installed ~157k miles

C: Special Contain Flow kit filter mount and alternate 2 micro CAT (ipillar) filter, which is narrower to accomodate engine movement installed at 192,011 miles 6-5-14

Below I'm attempting to illustrate the clearence issue. The red arrow designates direction of flex under load, and the green space shows the aquired range for movement from the new thinner filter. The original filter had only 1 mm of clearence at best, so even a slight load would cause that alt bracket edge to crash into the filter body.

From the top you can see the CAT filter is flush with the holder. A mm or two on either side with a curvature made the difference in the clearence needed. We tried with both filters right against the headlamp housing. The CAT filter is longer and that required unclipping the A/C line from the body and giving a it fair tweaking to clear there. Andrew had to send me a second, remachined filter holder to fit the alternate CAT filter in order to accomodate my car. That's a bit dedicated to the project I'd say. ;) Now everything is field tested and functioning for 750 miles, but we'll hopefully be able to tally up thousands of "test" miles on this system very soon.

My sincere gratitude goes to oilhammer who volunteered his expertise and installation services at no charge in order to learn about this mod first hand. Keep THAT in mind if you are looking for an install and can make it to St. Louis. (Sorry, I don't know what he'd charge for labor.)

Bonus pics:

Last edited:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
That's awesome news! Hopefully the kits will be shipping again soon. :p

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
I have an 09' and have been considering this kit. I was concerned because of cleareance issues and having to bend/tweak my a/c hoses to install. Does this new bracket solve the clearance issues on the 09' and 2010's as well.?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I wish I could redact what I said earlier but I have sent Andrew a few emails regarding how I felt, and apologize.
A little off topic, but you should be able to edit your own previous posts. Near the bottom of your post you will see the quote button. Next to it should be a multi-Quote button and an edit button. Click on that edit button and you should be able to edit or even delete your own posts. Only Moderators and Administrators can edit other people's posts, but most regular members should be able to edit their own posts.

Have Fun!

Don

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Every time I see this thread with unread posts, I get excited and reach for my wallet. One day...soon hopefully.

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
09' Black Jetta TDI manny tranny, tan pleather, wd6050 hd
lets get these suckers headed out the door! file a patent if you have not done so Andrew. I'll be patiently waiting. Also, CAT filter is AWESOME. I will be installing that on my machine for sure.

Thanks for the hard work Andrew. It's the work behind the scenes that really takes up the time with logistics, accounting, etc. its impressive you ever sleep! Keep it up! Will be looking forward to my kit.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
What's up with the recent use of CAT filters? I thought Cimtek filters were recommended? I have the Cimtek 1 micron. Does CAT make a 1 micron for our application? I'm sure the Cimtek is just as good, but the CAT filter adds that cool factor! By the way my 2 micron kits are still working perfectly. To anyone on the fence I highly recommend you get on the list. This mod is worth the wait!

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
If you read the post the CAT filter is used on his setup because his engine bay is slightly different than most and requires a smaller filter. It's not just a different filter on the same kit, it's a different kit.

The normal kit is made with the CimTek filter in mind. It's a larger filter and should last longer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This latest adaptation is one of the main reasons that Andrew should file a patent, or at least copy right it. I would hate to see someone step in a copy all of his hard work.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This latest adaptation is one of the main reasons that Andrew should file a patent, or at least copy right it.
Andrew was advised to do this a long time ago by several (many?) people. I hope he has already done this.

Have Fun!

Don

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was one of those that pushed him to do that back when, too.

colekicker

TDI
2010 JSW w/ DSG HPFP failure at 79K, 137K and clogged DPF
I sure hope the kits are released soon. I now have 108K and putting on about 3K per month. VW put the new hpfp in at 79K and now my pucker factor is starting to set in.
Been on the list since September '13.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
I sure hope the kits are released soon. I now have 108K and putting on about 3K per month. VW put the new hpfp in at 79K and now my pucker factor is starting to set in.

Has he given you any indication how long the wait is right now (I see your at 9 months right now)?

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
You should be fine. I had my HPFP fail at 60k and replaced by VW. I am at 119k with no issues and have been Stage 2 tuned the whole time.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I placed my name on the list as well for the entire system.

As far as patents go, to be granted there are 3 criteria that need to be met:

1) NEW The product has to be new. In this case this is obviously a new product so we can check that one off the requirements list.

2) USEFUL I'd say it would be useful alright. Anytime you can use something to save a giant stack of cash, it is useful.

3) NON-OBVIOUS Here is were this product runs into a snag. It isn't non-obvious enough, as least initially. As a matter of fact, it is totally obvious. This is the same problem the "Snuggy" ran into. The way over this problem is proof of sales. If the Micron Man can show enough demand for this product, and the lack of vendors supplying a needed product, then the patent office will grant the patent and deem the product non-obvious due to the popularity of the product as proof needed to meet the 3rd standard. Sort of like if it was so obvious, why doen't anyone have a viable product on the market ?

Either way, it may be too late for patentability because this "idea" is now over a year old, and if it hasn't been filed upon yet, you may lose the window of opportunity.

Patent or not, the owners of the patent need to do their own protection of the patents they are granted.

I would say it doesn't look good for a patent at this point, but we can all just support his product even in the face of a different vendor trying to move in on the market.

shloho

TDI
2014 Jetta
Andrew, please place me on the list for both kits. Have a long time till warranty expires, but getting nervous reading all about the failures and if need be, I'll hold onto it till I'm out of warranty.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Subscribing. Just dropped off my 2012 Audi at the stealer for a chance that VAG might pay for my HPFP.

Last edited:

Kevrev

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI , DSG
Andrew,
Add me to the list for both kits also please. Thanks for being a great innovator!
Kevin

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Hmmm, didn't even realize there was a list for these kits, I thought you could just order them. I guess I should add myself on too then...please.

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
I'll probably be way out of warranty by the time production catches up with demand. Add me to the list.

Muleears

TDI
'10 Jetta, Salsa Red, DSG
Please add me to the list for both kits. Just purchased a 2010 Jetta sedan with 103K and some upgrades/deletions. I want to keep this car a while.

Thanks

Last edited:

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Please add me to the list for the entire kit.

My HPFP failed on Wednesday (63,500 mile 09 JSW) and was replaced by VW (luckily). I want to have protection that if it happens again, I won't be footing the bill for an entire new system. If I can't get this installed as insurance against this, I'll be selling it as soon as the warranty is up, which I'd rather NOT do.

The price of replacing the HPFP is 2-3 months of new car payments. I'd prefer this over 4 years of car payments plus the cost of repairing a ruined fuel system (or trying to sell a car worth nothing).

xxxeighty7lx@yahoo dot com (remove xxx's that preceed the email addy and change the "dot com" to .com obviously. :)

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Please add me to the list for the entire kit.

My HPFP failed on Wednesday (63,500 mile 09 JSW) and was replaced by VW (luckily). I want to have protection that if it happens again, I won't be footing the bill for an entire new system. If I can't get this installed as insurance against this, I'll be selling it as soon as the warranty is up, which I'd rather NOT do.

The price of replacing the HPFP is 2-3 months of new car payments. I'd prefer this over 4 years of car payments plus the cost of repairing a ruined fuel system (or trying to sell a car worth nothing).

xxxeighty7lx@yahoo dot com (remove xxx's that preceed the email addy and change the "dot com" to .com obviously. :)
Hello Fred,
Sorry to hear about this, but glad VW covered it!!
The big question is what is the warranty you will have going forward??
Traditionally, VW offers 12 month, 12k miles. Please see if you can get us all any kind of response from your dealer.
Thanks!
Andrew

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I asked this question and was told 12mo/12k. This is why I want to protect my shiz now that I know this is such a common and expensive issue. I hoped to drive it 10-15 years (6 years in so far)