New TDI Owner Brake Issues

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hello,
I'm a new Jetta TDI owner, and am having some difficulty with my brakes. The gentleman I bought the vehicle from on Friday, replaced the brakes himself and had no problems with them for a week. When I picked up the car from him, the brake light was flashing and the car was beeping. After driving the car like this for a while, I noticed the brakes were almost slipping, it felt like the car was sliding when the brakes were applied. I pulled over and noticed the brake fluid was very low, so I put almost a whole container in, the break light went off, but the slipping did not stop. I'm not sure if maybe I put too much fluid in, or if there could be air in the lines or what. Any suggestions?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I'd start by bleeding the brakes. Hard to tell, but it sure does sound like the lines are full of air!
Good luck!
-BB

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Go with a bleed. Only use DOT 4 fluid. The guy may have opened the bleed nipples and drained fluid to compress the pistons into the calipers, then installed the pads and stepped on the pedal a few times until they seemed to come up.

The fact that the level in the resevoir was low indicates that the tech didn't keep it topped off during the installation procedure. It's likely that you now have air in the lines. Also, a less VW experienced tech may have attempted a bleed, but forgotten to bleed the clutch.

Check the recommended mechanics by state stickied at the tip of the 101 forum for a TDI experienced person near you.

DrewD

Veteran Member
Find out if the gentlemen used a C-clamp to compress the calipers when he did the brake job. If so, you may have to replace or rebuild your calipers.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Paramedick is da' man! You can't go wrong with him!