Wipers, Heater fan and directional not working

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently, have owned VW TDI's since my first in 2000
My wife's car is a 2003 Jetta wagon and lately we have been having a problem. Occasionally the wipers, fan and directionals won't work at all...but after driving for awhile, they will all of a sudden begin working. This only happens when it's cold and has been happening more and more lately.
Does this sound like a relay? Fuse? Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

I would hate to have to bring it to the dealer...I have Vag-Com and will maybe try to see if I get a code, but it is so intermittant that it might not show up.

Thanks,
Steve

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
It's not a fuse. When a fuse goes it is gone. Sounds like a sticky relay or a loose plug connection. Good luck.
I agree with the above - most of the time. A hairline crack in a fuse can cause very inconsistant problems. They are cheap. Sometimes a VOM doesn't find the problem. If a fuse could be the problem, replace it, and if the problem doesn't go away, put the one you took out into the "spare fuse" box and continue to trouble shoot.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I agree with the above - most of the time. A hairline crack in a fuse can cause very inconsistant problems. They are cheap. Sometimes a VOM doesn't find the problem. If a fuse could be the problem, replace it, and if the problem doesn't go away, put the one you took out into the "spare fuse" box and continue to trouble shoot.
Then give the bad fuse to your neighbor that plays his country music all night long.

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey...I listen to C&W!

Anyway....do you know if all of these items (Wipers, directionals, heater fan and rear window defroster)can be on the same fuse or same relay? I did an archive search and found nothing on this subject that was related to my problem.
In my search something close mentioned the ignition switch, but the test was to beep the horn and if it beeped you would rule the ignition switch out. My car beeps just fine.

It used to be intermittant, but now it happens every time I start the car and until it is completely warms up does everything start working again. I was thinking maybe a relay in the engine compartment was getting warmed up and doing it's thing. I don't think it's something that Vag-com will pick up.

Very confusing!

...and thanks for any help up front!
Steve

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, a solution to the problem has been found. My wife took the car to the dealer (Dean Hill in Keene, NH) for them to take a stab at it and while there got to talking with a salesperson (She's a salesperson, herself)...she ended up trading in the 2003 wagon w/45K miles for a 2005 with 32 miles and a refreshed warranty. She upgraded to one with the cold weather package, Sunroof, Monsoon, etc, etc....
She got $14K for the trade in and 2.9% rate plus a $500. loyal customer rebate.

Electrical problem solved! (But now I have to learn all about these new motors and how to maintain...)

This was her car, her decision...I still like driving my 2001 Golf TDI with 98K on it!

Steve P.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Well, congrats on the new wheels, but don't you think that's a bit of an extreme measure just to fix one small electrical problem?

My guess is that the (infamous VW) "load-reduction" relay is on the fritz. This is a relay through which many of the electrical accessories such as the wipers, HVAC blower, and rear defroster are powered. This relay turns off and reduces the electrical load during engine starting (hence its name).

On my '96 Passat I had the same symptoms--intermittent operation of the wipers and blower fan--found that the relay contacts were overheated and pitted.

Hopefully you won't experience anything of this type with your new VW (I'm crossing my fingers with you!).