39* Degree Outside Temp Warning

TDI-Photog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6m
Ok I won't use the term supercooling. Ice can form on bridges even when the outside temp is above 32F. This is due to air flow under the bridge and pressure drops that can occur (change in pressure = change in temperature).

A good example of this is on my 70 air cooled VW beetle intake manifold. Even when it is 80 degrees outside, the pressure drop causes temps to lower and gas to drop out of suspension in the air. Also deemed a "frozen intake" they can get down to 40-50 degrees in the summer which is why tubes were put in later models to pull off exhaust gas and run it through tubes welded to the intake. This helped keep them warm and prevent the gas from "freezing".
Is that related to (or the same thing as) that situation where, on a cold morning, if you step on the gas you get that hesitation before the acceleration? That happened occasionally on my gasser.

TDI-Photog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6m
That's a different story. If it's 0F when I wake up tomorrow and warms to the 30s, I'll be expecting ice. Unfortunately the MFA isn't smart enough to know when it makes sense to warn the driver or not. If I wake up tomorrow and it's 39F and stays 39F all day, I'm still not going to worry about ice on any of the many bridges I cross during the day.

I just think the warning is stupid. I don't mind the snow flake so much, but the chime is annoying. VWs chime for everything: low fuel, low windshield washer fluid. I know American society has been dumbed-down overt the last few generations--hence only 1 in 6 Americans being able to drive a manual transmission. Why not chime when humidity rises in the cabin and condensation is likely to form on the inside of the glass? Or when it's hot outside and you shouldn't leave your dog in the car with the windows up?
I agree--the chime makes me think there is a problem--like a door is open while I'm driving, or a tire is flat. They should reserve the chime for critical issues--ones where you should pull over soon.

TDI-Photog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6m
One of my main requirements when buying my new car was a manual trans. I hadnt had one in over 6 years and missed it. Out of VW toyota, honda and nissian it was VW that had more than 1 one the lot, and only honda had base line accords, not worth it at all.
In 2002, when I bought my Altima, I had to wait 2 months to get the 3.5l mated to the 5-speed. It was a special order only combination.

The 2011 Altima isn't available with a stick any more.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I believe historically Volkswagen has sold and is still selling more manual transmissions than automatics. Probably the only manufacture (maybe other than BMW and Porsche) doing so. Of the 13 VW's I've owned, only 2 were automatics and that's because my new wife of 10 years claims she use to drive with 3 on the tree, but can't drive with 4 (or more) on the floor. Go figure. As for leaving the dog in the car when it's hot, break a window out first, then call the police. As for the chime, turn up the radio.
VW sells more automatics. Same thing for BMW.

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
Regarding manual versus automatics, VW, I'm sure, like everyone else, sells many more automatic transmission cars than manuals.
That could well be true for the NA market but I would have to go with the manual for International sales.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Well, sure. I read not too long ago the 96% of cars sold in the US have automatics. 96% of cars sold in Europe have manuals. That may be shifting some in Europe with the advent of better automatic and DSG transmissions, but many Europeans wouldn't be caught dead with an automatic. And it's a shame that some of the best Euro brands offer few (Audi) or no (M-B) automatics in the US. The only exception I know of from M-B is the 1.8 liter C-Class. And try to find one. No Audi A6, A7, A8, A3, or A4 Avant. You get the idea.

Last edited:

1120JettaTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Temp Chime

I think VW should also give us a chime when;

1. it gets above 85 degrees so I remember to turn my A/C on.
2. the sun is going down to let me know its getting dark outside.
3. it starts raining/snowing.
4. it stops raining/snowing.
5. the seasons change.
6. my drink in my cup holder is empty so I know to stop and get another.
7. it hears me swear when someone cuts me off.
8. I fill my fuel tank and its topped off completely full.
9. I turn my blinker on.
10. And lastly.....It should give a pre-chime so I know its about to chime.

Don't get me wrong I do like my car a lot but I find it funny VW is so concerned about my safety that they give me a chime at 39 degrees to tell me there may be some ice on the roads and to be careful because they put crappy tires on my car.......Where is the logic there?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think this has become a kind of standard in Europe. I find it somewhat annoying as I park inside and when the temp gauge gets down to 39 in the morning when driving to work it goes off. I noticed today that the MFI lighting also gets brighter when the chime goes off (I have the lights turned almost all the way down normally). Whatever. If it were up to me I wouldn't have an MFI at all. On my '06 you could shut it off. Haven't figured out if that feature is available on the '12.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
It is to warn you of the possibility of "black ice" formation. I have no idea why they chose 39 degrees to be the warning level.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I, too, would be interested to know if this can be turned off. I live somewhere 39 degrees is common (in the winter) but freezing is rare.
Wow, so no one has been able to disable the annoying chime.

I blame the Trial Lawyers Association for this idiocy.
Come to think of it, may be I should sue the TLA for their STUCK-ON-STUPID efforts.
"As time goes by, humans get more stupid" - the DARKSIDE OF DARWIN.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I never found a way to disable it. At least now with my golf, when it does it, it just dings, and doesn't change the screen I am on, since the full MFD has an area in the bottom that always displays outside temp.

MisterRazz

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
Wow, so no one has been able to disable the annoying chime.

I blame the Trial Lawyers Association for this idiocy.
Come to think of it, may be I should sue the TLA for their STUCK-ON-STUPID efforts.
"As time goes by, humans get more stupid" - the DARKSIDE OF DARWIN.
Mine lights up super bright when it comes (I always keep my dash lights dimmed as low as they go) and it always said until I'm about a mile down the road to do it. I live out in the country and one of these nights it's going to do it to me right as a deer decides to get scared and run in my path. I will be filling a lawsuit at that time... Hahaha