2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI in Snow

Brooke

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hi -

I bought my Jetta Sportwagen TDI in 2013 and have not driven it in much snow, until this winter. I'm kind of upset because it gets really poor traction in snow and ice. It just feels incredibly slippery, to the point that I'm afraid to take it to the mountains and I end up riding the bus to work! I still have the factory Continental tires on, and they've been driven about 24,000 miles.

I'm wondering if people here have noticed better traction with other all season tires, or if snow tires are necessary with this car? And if you've put snow tires on this car, does it dramatically increase traction in snow and ice? At this point I'm considering whether to get snow tires, or forego my awesome mpg and go back to an AWD.

n8tgc

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
If it helps, I was experiencing similar results with my 2013 TDI SW. This winter in New England has been quite impressive and my stocks Continental's weren't up to the job. I ordered a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's on steel wheels from TireRack and could not be more pleased. The difference in winter performance, stability and traction is impressive! TO answer your question, yes, the difference is indeed dramatic!

If it's in the budget (delivered, the set was just under $900). In my opinion, it was well worth the money. I am getting ready to order a second set for my wife's 2014 Tiguan. Even with 4Motion, the stock Conts on hers leaves a bit to be desired.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
I have 15" Steelies with General Arctic altimax, they do make big difference in the snow. I drove on i-95 to delaware then took the back road to PA with no hiccups!

Get the snow setup and you will be fine!

Auslndr

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2009 Golf Variant TDI
Winter tires. Enough said.

We've lived in the foothills since 2008. In that time, there's been two times I remember where I felt I needed the 4x4. The rest of the time, we're passing Subarus in the snow like they're standing still. We're going to get a "too fast for road conditions" ticket one of these days...

Our 2009 wagon had Goodyear Triple Tread all-season tires at winter's start. I put the (fairly worn) Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds on after the wife got it stuck in the yard in about 4 inches of snow. The Goodyears had less than 10,000 miles on them, so lots of tread left. The Dunlops are through the ice wear bars and it was night and day.

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
there is a reason winter tires are mandatory up here. Anything else is just asking for trouble in snow conditions, I don`t care what car/SUV you drive.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
Get snow tires. Awd is just as bad as fwd without snow tires.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
The cheapest winter tires are better than the most expensive all season(3 season)tires. Get some winter rubber on steel wheels and you will be impressed. Not going to tell you what winter tires to buy. That's what you have to research.

kobrian85

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT Pano
Although I'm in a 2014, if you're not rocking a set of studless or studded winter tires, you're gonna have problems in this weather.

I had no problems getting around yesterday and this morning, and I've experienced zero issues getting up to the mountains for the sweet sweet good stuff at Breck and Vail.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
All Season tires are a myth or better known as a Jackalope. All Season tires are actually three season tires at best.

Invest in a set of Snow Tires & dedicated Rims. I'd even recommend getting them from Costco to make it easy for you to have them swapped on/off. You may also get a good deal on winter tires / rims so late in the season.

Your tires may be the most important part of your car, choose wisely.

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I am in Syracuse and we get well over 100 inches per year. I have found that good all seasons work well. The stock all seasons on most cars do not.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
With 24,000 miles on the stock Contis Im not surprised you had a negative opinion.

They aren't that great to begin with brand new, let alone with 24k miles on them.

Like everyone else is saying, get Snow Tires. Ideally get a 16in wheel (JSW TDi's can't use 15in) with 215 or 205/55/16 tires (I run the 215's myself)

I have a 2013 JSW and I drive frequently in snowy conditions. Snow Tires completely transformed the car. No need for AWD (and I come from having owned 4WD vehicles prior with locking diffs), the JSW with snow ties handles 98% of what you will ever normally encounter.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I have a set of Continental Pure Contacts in 225/45R17 (V-Rated) and in a recent snow storm I found them to be decent in fresh snow covered roads. However, when it came to hard packed snow or ice they are pretty "meh".

If they were worn more then 25% I would have went with a set of winter tires. Next winter I'll defiantly be getting some winter tires/wheels!

However I'm in Maryland and most of the time we can get by with all season tires. If I were living in the Denver area or further north of here I'd much more strongly consider winter tires/wheels.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Winter tires are WAY better. Get them on their own set of wheels so you can put them on in fall and off in spring. They will wear out too fast if you don't take them off in spring. That said there are some relatively good all season tires for snow. I reccomend you check consumer reports ratings for that. CR is the only way to get an apples to apples non biased comparasion. But YES WINTER tires are way better. If you get them watch out for the tailgatter behind you when you hit the brakes.......

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
/\ www.tirerack.com also does some very good reviews of tires as well. Though it's typically in groups of 4 tires at a time with the same make/model car.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
All season tires are crap. Get snow tires and you'll be good to go!

Brooke

TDI
Thank you so much for all the thoughtful replies! I really appreciate it. I've just been really concerned about it because even in Denver I am getting stuck on the tiniest inclines in snowy conditions. I had a Subaru with snow tires before this car... it was just so much more functional than where I'm at with the JSW and stock Continental tires right now. I really just want to make sure that if I do spend the cash on good snow tires that I'm going to be comfortable enough taking the car to the mountains in the winter. It sounds like those of you who put snows on yours feel quite comfortable. I'm glad to hear that there was a remarkable difference in performance after getting the winter tires. I think at this point I will wait until next fall and get either Blizzak's or X-Ice. Suppose I'll have to do some research about it in the fall.

Anyway, thank you again! :)

Brooke

TDI

We've lived in the foothills since 2008. In that time, there's been two times I remember where I felt I needed the 4x4. The rest of the time, we're passing Subarus in the snow like they're standing still. We're going to get a "too fast for road conditions" ticket one of these days...

Our 2009 wagon had Goodyear Triple Tread all-season tires at winter's start. I put the (fairly worn) Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds on after the wife got it stuck in the yard in about 4 inches of snow. The Goodyears had less than 10,000 miles on them, so lots of tread left. The Dunlops are through the ice wear bars and it was night and day.
Great to know! Thanks so much!

Brooke

TDI
If it helps, I was experiencing similar results with my 2013 TDI SW. This winter in New England has been quite impressive and my stocks Continental's weren't up to the job. I ordered a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's on steel wheels from TireRack and could not be more pleased. The difference in winter performance, stability and traction is impressive! TO answer your question, yes, the difference is indeed dramatic!

If it's in the budget (delivered, the set was just under $900). In my opinion, it was well worth the money. I am getting ready to order a second set for my wife's 2014 Tiguan. Even with 4Motion, the stock Conts on hers leaves a bit to be desired.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for... someone with the same car and their experience in switching to snows. Will be strongly considering the Blizzaks.

Brooke

TDI
Although I'm in a 2014, if you're not rocking a set of studless or studded winter tires, you're gonna have problems in this weather.

I had no problems getting around yesterday and this morning, and I've experienced zero issues getting up to the mountains for the sweet sweet good stuff at Breck and Vail.
Good to know! I got stuck (wheels spinning and sliding all over the place!) on the east bound hill up to the Eisenhower Tunnel in November and have been freaked out about taking my car to the mountains ever since. I just wanted to make sure that if I do get the snow tires, I'll be set for mountain adventures! :)

Brooke

TDI
With 24,000 miles on the stock Contis Im not surprised you had a negative opinion.

They aren't that great to begin with brand new, let alone with 24k miles on them.

Like everyone else is saying, get Snow Tires. Ideally get a 16in wheel (JSW TDi's can't use 15in) with 215 or 205/55/16 tires (I run the 215's myself)

I have a 2013 JSW and I drive frequently in snowy conditions. Snow Tires completely transformed the car. No need for AWD (and I come from having owned 4WD vehicles prior with locking diffs), the JSW with snow ties handles 98% of what you will ever normally encounter.
Thanks! That's what I was looking for... someone to say that snow tires completely transformed the car. :) THANK YOU!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would look at Continental Extreme Winter Contacts or General Altimax tires, too. I find the Contis are better in snow than the Michelins, and either will last longer than the Blizzaks.

I once drove a rental Camry through the Vail Pass in a blizzard because United had canceled its flights to Aspen. It was late at night and snowing so hard that I shut off the headlights to reduce glare and drove by keeping a set distance from the Jersey Barrier and the taillights of the car in front of me. The ABS chattered all the way down the pass into Vail, even at 20 MPH. No snows on that car. Fun.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That eastward climb to the tunnel can be hairy. Finesse and slow speed is important. Spinning the tires when you are stuck will result in glazed wet ice and a hole that your wheel will be stuck in. Rock back and forth gently etc.. Don't be afraid to drive slower at a safe speed once you get going. There are alot of goofs that drive too fast. Ignore them. Sooner or later they end up in the ditch.

Last edited:

Brooke

TDI
I would look at Continental Extreme Winter Contacts or General Altimax tires, too. I find the Contis are better in snow than the Michelins, and either will last longer than the Blizzaks.

I once drove a rental Camry through the Vail Pass in a blizzard because United had canceled its flights to Aspen. It was late at night and snowing so hard that I shut off the headlights to reduce glare and drove by keeping a set distance from the Jersey Barrier and the taillights of the car in front of me. The ABS chattered all the way down the pass into Vail, even at 20 MPH. No snows on that car. Fun.
Thanks! Will take the Continentals and the Altimax into consideration when I'm shopping in September. Glad you made it over Vail mtn in the Camry. Scary!

Brooke

TDI
That eastward climb to the tunnel can be hairy. Finesse and slow speed is important. Spinning the tires when you are stuck will result in glazed wet ice and a hole that your wheel will be stuck in. Rock back and forth gently etc.. Don't be afraid to drive slower at a safe speed once you get going. There are alot of goofs that drive too fast. Ignore them. Sooner or later they end up in the ditch.
You know, it was the first snows of the season, at the beginning of November. And it had been really warm prior to this quick and cold storm that blew in, so of course the snow melted on the road, then it turned to ice. Everyone was losing traction and sliding around - trucks were jack knifing and sliding backwards in front of me. Most didn't have their chains on yet, and were just trying to make it to the tunnel, I think. However, the subarus and audi's were jamming up the hill, while i was just spinning out mostly and sometimes inching upwards and trying to stay in a lane. I was STRESSED, to say the least - and second guessing my decision to buy the JSW (i.e. mpg) over getting another subaru (i.e. AWD). I ended up taking the traction control off. I don't know if that was a good decision or not - it seemed like it was at the time. I was just grasping at straws.

So yeah. I'm gonna get snow tires.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear you Brooke in fact I was there, on or about Nov 1st. We were on our way back from Vegas, and it was dark with conditions as you describe. I was driving my wife's old Subaru and it was a lousy drive but we were almost alone on the road at that time of night. The snow and ice was only at high elevations and mostly on the other side (westside) of the tunnel. I was scared and very tired having driven almost non-stop from Vegas. Crappy old tires did not help.

Coincidentally I just replaced that Subbie with a 2013 Sportwagen! Pretty weird this parallel between us.
I agonized over the change from Subaru AWD stability for her. Next season I do plan to get her four snows on dedicated wheels. I know she will be FAR better off with snows and you will be also.

I have little experience driving traction control myself and none on snow but from what I understand you should leave it on except if you are stuck in snow and trying to rock yourself out of it.??????

Last edited:

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
We had the stock continentals on for a while. I found them to be crap in any weather, dry, wet, or snow. I have michelin all-seasons on the golf, and they're quite good even in the snow, but the Jetta has michelin Alpin tires, and they're fantastic, even when they're slow to plow up here in central PA. Pretty much unstoppable so far. The subaru with snows will get you into and out of major 2 foot snowbanks, but for the usual stuff, the VW with snows should get you up and down the mountain just fine.

kobrian85

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT Pano
Good to know! I got stuck (wheels spinning and sliding all over the place!) on the east bound hill up to the Eisenhower Tunnel in November and have been freaked out about taking my car to the mountains ever since. I just wanted to make sure that if I do get the snow tires, I'll be set for mountain adventures! :)
Yea, you'll see night and day difference. I've never ran studded snow tires, but a co-worker of mine swears by them. And I've never had issues in the past 4 years on studless snows. The snow was being snowplowed by my lower bumper, in my neighborhood, with last weekend's storm and I had no issues.

Something else to consider - Carrying a set of Snow Socks or chains/cables in the event that it really gets sketchy. I've yet to need them, but I carry some Socks just in case.

Brooke

TDI
I hear you Brooke in fact I was there, on or about Nov 1st. We were on our way back from Vegas, and it was dark with conditions as you describe. I was driving my wife's old Subaru and it was a lousy drive but we were almost alone on the road at that time of night. The snow and ice was only at high elevations and mostly on the other side (westside) of the tunnel. I was scared and very tired having driven almost non-stop from Vegas. Crappy old tires did not help.

Coincidentally I just replaced that Subbie with a 2013 Sportwagen! Pretty weird this parallel between us.
I agonized over the change from Subaru AWD stability for her. Next season I do plan to get her four snows on dedicated wheels. I know she will be FAR better off with snows and you will be also.

I have little experience driving traction control myself and none on snow but from what I understand you should leave it on except if you are stuck in snow and trying to rock yourself out of it.??????
Yes, interesting similarities! I'd guess you and your wife are smart people try to balance function, performance, fuel economy, and style! :) Ha, ha! I also agonized over the decision to go to VW from my Subaru. I loved my subbie! Since I've had the JSW (bought it in Sept. 2013) I only have two complaints - the diesel has gelled and the traction issue with these tires. The diesel gelled the first winter sitting at the airport in -18 weather. And the most awesome thing is that you can't put the additive in the tank without Volkswagen ordering a special part to open the tiny little fuel door (it must be some kind of lock that protects you against putting gasoline in instead of diesel) so that you can stick a funnel in there. This made me crazy! Ha! Anyway... good luck with your tire shopping next fall! :)

LaTuFu

TDI
2010 JSW, 2005 Passat Wagon BHW
I live in an area where it almost never gets enough winter weather to justify snow tires. I picked up a set on steelies when I bought my B5.5, and thankfully they have the same bolt pattern as my JSW.

Ironically, I have not had time to put them on. I've only had the car for 4 weeks, and in that time snow has been on the ground for probably 3 of those weeks. That is pretty unheard of for this area most years.

That being said, I've always found VWs to be very reliable performers in snow and other bad weather. I live in the mountains, and while it does have its challenges in bad weather, I'm not going to pretend the Blue Ridge Mountains are anywhere near the same level of challenge that the Rockies are. You just have to make sure the vehicle is set up for the conditions.

All seasons will work just fine in a light snow, 1-3" or so. Once you get anything worse than that, or if you live in a region that has constant bad weather, you're not going to like the all seasons at all.

The best snow tires I've ever had have been my Telecommuters. :D