Replace clutch disc or master/slave cylinder

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
My clutch pedal recently started releasing to half the pedal height as before. It still engages/disengages ok (but close to the floor) and doesn't feel soft or spongy. The clutch doesn't slip either, although I haven't really tried to rev it high for fear of wearing the clutch out completely and getting stranded.

I also noticed that there's more vibration felt when I lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal.

Do any of these symptoms point to either bad clutch (disc, bearing, fork), or master/slave cylinder issue? Any guidance appreciated. My searches so far have come up inconclusive. TIA

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
sounds like either a DMF failed or a throwout bearing has failed. I've also seen where the clutch fork pivot has eaten through the fork. On other cars (like yours) that have high pressure clutches I've seen folded forks.

Either way you are likely going to need to pull the transmission to see what failed.

If your slave or master failed you might also look into doing a solid metal version with that clutch.

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Thanks, makes send regarding either the fork or bearing failure. I definitely have a lot pressure on them due to the the DC stage 4+ clutch kit. Thanks!