Replace Seats 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Addison

TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
I'm a newbee and don't know where to post exactly, so I'm trying here. If it's not right let me know.
Just bought a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and maybe want to replace the front seats with softer ones with minimal bolsters. Does anyone have any input? Has anyone done a seat swap without having do custom bracket work?
Addison

gmarkb

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagon
TDI Seats

Hey - I bought a 2012 with the same seats & "issue" for me. Love everything about the ride and handling but have yet to be comfortable in the driver's seat. Currently have had a custom cushion made to fill in the seat pan - gets my butt more level with the front of the seat - and have added a leatherette seat cover that also helps fill in the space between the seat and back bolsters. Better, but not yet where I want it to be.

Just in case you've already resolved your issue or replaced the front seats, I'd love to know how you resolved it.

Thanks

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Padding the seat to be flatter may be an option, but be careful to what extent you change the seat.
I sold VW's for 6 years, and have owned them for the past 30, The official word from VW is that the seat is made with a higher front to help avoid sliding out of the seat in the event of a frontal crash. The slight angle in the seat helps hold your posterior in place thus anchoring your body more firmly so the lap and shoulder belt can handle the load more efficiently.

Also, by changing the seat, by either using one that wasn't made by VW, or one specifically made for the car pretty much leaves your on your own in the event of a seat/ accident related injury. You're potentially changing the anchor points, engineering, etc that the factory designed into the seat.

That being said, For those of us who are a bit wider than the bolster allows, there is comfort in the fact that the bolster does eventually loosen up a bit and shapes to our bodies.

The complaint I heard more than others, and what sort of bothers me about mine is the non-tilt head rest. It seems to push your head forward when the seat is in a more upright position. It can be taken out and turned around, giving you an inch or two of relief.