The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Nice

Did the oil feed & return fit without modification? How about the turbo air inlet?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yup! Everything fit right up except the outlet but it turned out great! I got my 2" IC piping that I wanted.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
It shouldn't have any issues hitting 140hp with the GT1749VA at 22psi and T4s powered by my 11mm pump. Of course, I am hoping for more. I am not sure when I will run this tune, I might try it and find out very quickly that I need a stronger clutch.

The 3 bar MAP is now ordered. I am short of the recommended equipment for stage 4, boost gauge, boost valve, EGTs, intercooler and I haven't chopped my exhaust. I plan to try it out with just a boost gauge and see how it does, my intercooler is slightly larger than Jetta and Golf intercoolers(not by much). At this point I'm planning on skipping EGTs as I am not pushing things too much. I will likely get a boost valve but I'd like to check out the tune before to see how it goes.

Jon

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Something about the way VAG lays things out always makes it look fairly easy to do, but when you actually get your hands dirty, it's always harder. I can't believe how close the turbo is to the frame rail. It took 15 minutes of struggling to get the old turbo off and the new one on. But seriously, the flange on the oil return for the turbo is nothing short of absolutely ridiculous. We spent ~1 hour just trying to get the bolts to thread.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Quite possibly the most interesting thread on TDIClub. This car makes a great project!!
Thanks for the compliment!

I just got word last night that the ECU and injectors will be in early next week(small possibility Saturday). Boost gauge will also be in around the same time. :cool:

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Well, I finally got the last pieces of the puzzle and got it put together and I'm having issues with the tuning and ECU so it looks like I'll be out of business for a little while longer sadly.

Quick update to this. I can't figure out exactly what is going on, whether the connections to the ecu are bad, the ecu is bad or the chips are bad. I'll be in contact with my tuner to figure this one out. It will drive but there are tons of codes and the accelerator acts funny. - edit - might be a simple fix, will update later.

Jon

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
After lots of tire spinning, I can say I'm running my stage 4 tune from Malone, its looking pretty good but there are a few minor changes, all getting taken care of.

It is quite exciting, it is a whole new car! It definitely kicks my 30v V6 butt(4motion would be nice though!).

My next chip will have more fueling, this one is almost completely smokeless, I should get a little more power.

Here are a few pictures I forgot to post earlier:
new tensioner:

Vacuum relocation.
old:

gone:

bracket with N75 and reservior

Found a new home for it:

(I secured the N75)
Nice little hole plug to run the lines through that I found at the junk yard:

And all cleaned up:

The last picture was taken pre-VNT17 and pre boost gauge. I tapped right into the EGR block off plate for the boost gauge.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yeah, it started somewhere between 1-2, It is now at 4inHg. At 1-2 it would immediately break loose in 1st and no problem at 2k in 2nd, now it will only chirp in both. I'll drop it back down to 3inHg when I get an updated tune.

I dropped an 80Ah battery in yesterday hoping I had a bad battery, my alternator is acting up, mostly its not working but it has been kicking in and out. I'll stop at the local alternator shop and see if they have a voltage regulator that I can get from them. I plan on taking the cover off tomorrow to scope things out. I pulled the belt off earlier and the bearings seemed fine. The test at O'Reily said that the diodes are fine so I'm hoping that it will be a quick fix.

Jon

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yeah, I guess thats what happens when the ECU thinks its got an auto tranny, I got it switched to manual and it went away. I have a test ECU on its way out to figure out the other issues, it sounds like its just the contacts between the socket and chip - when I got the stage 4 chips in, I set them flush with the top of the sockets and it started right up.

Jon

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
do you know what power/torque you have and is your dual mass flywheel juddering/clutch slipping?

With T4 injectors, VA turbo an decent tune you should have 175bhp/400nm - normally too much for the standard clutch.

Over here in the UK we had 10mm pumps, only 11mm on the auto's - yours is an 11mm pump in a manual?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I do not know what power/torque I have to the wheels, when I get a new clutch I'll put it on a dyno at some point.

I am surprised how little slipping I am getting. I have had it slip only a few times. I don't launch at all. I had it slip at WOT in 4th and 5th.

Malone estimated 140-160hp on this setup.

Yes, mine is an 11mm pump in a manual. From what I've read, the AHH engine code only came with automatic transmissions in Europe and mine is some goofy one-off sent over here for the auto show with a manual transmission.

The jutter problem I had between 1800-2000rpm that I had before the tune and upgrade is gone. I have no explanation for that but I'm glad it is gone, it runs very smoothly now.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I went to the junk yard to get a 2 pin bosch connector with some wire to connect my new alternator and I think I made the junk yard find of the year.

Evolution motorsports GTI FMIC for dirt cheap

I don't think I need it right now(its cold) but I think I'll work on mounting that, welding together some piping and a new intake over the winter.

I am planning on going in the front instead of the back and will remove all the extra IC piping.

Jon

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yup, I was quite surprised to find that out there.

Most of the passats out there are well picked over and the jettas are pretty picked over or heavily damaged, There is an air box with a MAF on it from a jetta and 1.8t passat. I almost grabbed the MAF from the 1.8t passat for my car but I think I'll hold out until I find a B5.5 TDI MAF.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Transverse AHU Alternator swap was a success! I wired in a 2 wire bosch connector for D+ and DF. I had to press the threaded bushings outward to clear my bracket, I think they had to be opened up .19"(distance between the ears) and I had to turn the hub of the pulley back to align with the rest of the pulleys. I took it for a spin in the snow(these winter tires work great!) and all seams well with the alternator.

To press the bushings out, I made a little cup for one end and a shim for the other(to set the height) and used a C clamp and it pushed the bushings out to the exact distance I needed.

Now if I have to replace the alternator again, for whatever reason, I just have to press the bushings out a little and drop it in.

Jon

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
I should be asleep but instead I am salivating reading this about the TDI you have!
Very nice, there is trust that you will get it back to showroom shape eventually and bring its reason to be(raison d'etre), for this particular TDI back to VW's snouts...

How much does your car weigh?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'd love to bring it to showroom condition but thats pretty unreasonable considering its condition, I don't have that kind of money to spend on it. At some point I realized this and took a turn and decided to veer away from originality and turn it into what I like - while still retaining the green outside(and repairing the rear quarter and replacing the front left fenders and front doors eventually) I want to put in a black GLX interior with a black headliner(if possible). I'm also putting that FMIC on it with a new/custom intake. All at the same time, I'm not making permanent modifications to the car(few holes here and there I guess).

I believe it weighs around 3100-3200 curb weight, I haven't dug for it.

Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
It should weight about the same as a 1998/1999 1.8T Passat which is listed as 3100lb on Wikipedia.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The weight, aerodynamics, injectors and tune of this car are showing excellent results on fuel economy! I really hope my numbers are right, on my last tank, which involved lots of reckless driving, many 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear pulls(lots of smoke), dumping smoke at ricers, etc, I still managed to pull off 48mpg. I feel like something isn't right and I will confirm this with at least half a tank of taking it easy and topping it off to see how it is really doing. I really wasn't playing nice with fuel economy so I'm very surprised what I calculated. I also never in the past filled the tank this high, I actually spilled a little, it filled to the TOP of the neck.

Its a shame I'm not getting what my MFA is telling me. With it adjusted all the way down(VCDS) it is still reading 85mpg on a trip where I baby it and ~70mpg when I beat on it.

I'll top it off again in a week and let you guys know how I'm doing(I drive about 300 miles a week)

Jon

JP123

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Passat Sedan, 1.9TDI AFN
Hey Fettig.
Sweet work you done to your passat, I like mine too ;)
(the 11mm pump was a SURPRISE :eek:to me, will check my IP number tomorow... wish me luck:cool: NO such luck )

Start out with VCDS and it this dosent bring you within range try Hammer mod BUT reset IQ VCDS before Hammermod.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm

quote: (before preforming Hammer mod.)
Reset the IQ through VCDS to the default factory value. This way you change only one thing at a time. Note the IQ value.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
We got everything apart on Saturday for the clutch job I'm doing on my car. I'm putting a 20lb 1.8T SMF on the car and a SBC Stage 3 clutch setup.

I pretty much stopped when I saw this:

I have a new rear main seal on order, it is the same as an AHU motor.
Also, there is a pilot bearing inside the end of the crankshaft. I am debating on whether I will be replacing that or not. I plugged it when I removed the flywheel to prevent clutch dust from getting in it. The part number for that is 056105313C. I will check with the dealer to see if I can get that and the tranny drain plug. It currently has a tamper proof drain plug on it.

I'll pick away at it as I get parts in and hopefully everything is in by Saturday when we'll finish it and do another golf clutch.

Jon

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Bit by bit, I think the car will be really nice. I know you are catching up on a lot of things here. Might as well replace the seal while you are in there.