www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 14th, 2017, 18:50   #1
Nate660

Default Blow by 2001 alh

Engine I have had blowby how much is acceptable? The oil cap bounces around but doesn't blow it off. From my understanding these engines will have blowby?
Nate660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 18:52   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

All engines have blowby. Are you having some problem that is prompting you to look for something that likely is not a problem?
Old March 14th, 2017, 19:10   #3
Nate660

Nope good fuel mileage running fine. Just noticed it the other day while looking over the engine bay with it running. I just want to know how much is ok because I travel quiet frequently and don't want to be left sitting do to low compression
Old March 14th, 2017, 19:16   #4
UhOh
Veteran Member

If the oil cap doesn't seal well get a new one: they're cheap.

If you're worried about the engine's compression get a compression test done. Face your fears head-on!
UhOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 19:22   #5
oilhammer

It sounds like there is nothing wrong with your engine. I'd not give it a second thought. If it runs good, no excessive smoke or strange noises or hard starting, no bad oil consumption, then motor on.
Old March 14th, 2017, 19:31   #6
Nate660

No oil consumption at all I'm at 4k miles and it's still full on the stick. Wide open throttle no smoke just alittle black at first which is normal with my karma tune. Love this little motor to death. I have a lifted 2006 mega cab cummins and it just sits because I like this car to much lol
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:05   #7
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

The engine will seem as though there is excessive blow by, but this is more a result of the high compression than anything else. Some people think it has to do with the vacuum pump exhausting into the valve cover plenum, but the volume from that pump is negligible.

What is the mileage doing? If it drives well, isn't smoking, gets proper mileage, then no worries.

Excessive blow by would result in oil leaking like crazy from blown out seals because the CCV would not be able to handle the volume of gasses.

Seriously, you have no worries.

Drive on!

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:41   #8
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

Take the advice of Oilhammer and Powder Hound ......

Problematic blow-by with high miles was a thingy with the 1.6 VW engines (and 1.5). I took the assumption that as long as it had oil in it and would start, no worries.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 07:14   #9
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

vacuum pump exhaust ... if you need convincing run the engine with the vacuum pump nipple sealed off, then with it fully open ... the amount of volume that little pump puts out is far from negligible but quite astounding

Last edited by jimbote; March 18th, 2017 at 07:17.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:07   #10
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Ya that's a good point about the vacuum pump emptying into the head.

The general rule is that if the blowby just makes the loose cap dance around it's fine. If the cap is blown off the valve cover, there's too much.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:19   #11
KLXD
Veteran Member

There should be no flow from the vacuum pump unless you have a vacuum leak. It is capable of pumping a lot of volume but it shouldn't be doing it.

Except when it is called on to actuate something like the TC. Then there will be a momentary flow.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:19   #12
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
There should be no flow from the vacuum pump unless you have a vacuum leak. It is capable of pumping a lot of volume but it shouldn't be doing it.

Except when it is called on to actuate something like the TC. Then there will be a momentary flow.
Really? Isn't the N75 and N18 "open" from the source (vacuum pump) side to the exhaust (air cleaner) side during much of its normal operation? The EGR and VNT are not self-venting, so that vacuum needs to go somewhere, which means if it is constantly venting some vacuum, then it has to constantly be producing some vacuum, and that is going to be pushed into the crankcase. Obviously, this is a very small amount (volume) and the engine is designed to accommodate this. Essentially a tiny bit of filtered air (air cleaner post filter) being pushed into the crankcase in some manner most of the time, and being "lost" in the normal crankcase pressure scavenging that occurs as the inlet air is pulled past the PCV right where the heater sits.

At least, that is what I remember from school. If the N75 was just allowing all the vacuum it has available all the time then the actuator would just stay pulled down all the time the engine is running. Same for the EGR solenoid.
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:53   #13
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

FWIW, I have a Vacuum Gauge on the "vacuum system" on my ALH in the Vanagon. When the engine is running, it holds about 23 inches (depending on elevation). The amount doesn't change when I accelerate. I assume the pump is strong enough to keep the vacuum about the same at all times, with one exception. When I hit the brake pedal, the vacuum gauge will dip down and recover almost immediately.

Interestingly, when I shut-down the engine, vacuum drops almost immediately. So, either I have a leak somewhere or the check valve doesn't operate properly. I do have a reserve tank and an individual filter for the system.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 17:04   #14
Dieselmonkey02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48-50 avg. 44 lowest 51.5 highest

One other thing is that the pistons sweep the same volume going down as they do going up. So the will move some air around.
Dieselmonkey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 17:29   #15
Nate660

Well can someone post a video of an engine that they think is healthy so I can get an idea of what I have. Or I guess I could post a video of my engine also