www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 20th, 2017, 18:35   #3631
SOCALGAL
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I thought I had heard that the new Jeep pickup would be a 2018 model, not a 2019. I guess that might work better for the JSW replacement time line though.
2018 will be the next generation of the Wrangler, JL. Suppose to be a little more aerodynamic. 2017 JK is the last year that the front windshield will fold down, it will be stationary for 2018. Check out Jeep garage or the Wrangler forums, I'm sure there are some threads on the pickup.
2017 Chevy Silverado
2017 JKU Sahara
SOCALGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 20:19   #3632
maf007

Bought a 2012 4Runner after 3 decades of small, high MPG cars. After hanging out on the largest 4Runner forum, I can say that they have no real problems other than deciding which cosmetic mod to do. Quite unlike this forum, where I have received invaluable help to fix major problems inherent in the Passat. So long and thanks for all the fish
maf007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 04:01   #3633
dbias
Veteran Member

Did my buyback Saturday. The whole process took all of about 6 minutes.
Money is in account this morning. Picking up my new A4 this afternoon. I considered alot of other vehicles and mind was made up midway through the test drive.
dbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:52   #3634
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
JSW going back to meet her maker next month.
How long after a new car model is introduced are they discounted?
Most interested in the new KIA Niro, but they're at best selling for $50 over the Costco invoice price, with no incentives of any kind from KIA.
They were introduced on Super Bowl day.

Does it take month? A year? Sometimes never?
Yes to all of the above. Some cars and manufaturers seem to start discounting before the new model hits the lots. Other models are rarely if ever discounted. Depends on preception. Is the car going to take the market by storm or is it a turd that will be most popular on the rental lots?
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:13   #3635
sooner2k8

Fuel Economy: ~45

Looking at Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model S.

What I like about TDIs is their 'torquiness' and get up and go. I dislike driving cars now that are about the same price as a TDI and petrol. They just dont have the same feel. I really dread going down to a car like that.

Electric cars exceed the TDI in torque and hp, and dependent upon source of electricity, actually good for the environment.
sooner2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:30   #3636
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

If you didn't already put your name on the list for a Model 3 you won't be getting one for at least 2 years; I think they already pre-sold the entire 2017-18 MY run.

I was looking as switching to a Model 3 as well but once I saw the waiting list for them I gave that dream up.
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:33   #3637
sooner2k8

Fuel Economy: ~45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubFamily View Post
If you didn't already put your name on the list for a Model 3 you won't be getting one for at least 2 years; I think they already pre-sold the entire 2017-18 MY run.

I was looking as switching to a Model 3 as well but once I saw the waiting list for them I gave that dream up.
I am on the list already. That money can either be refunded to me, or put towards a Model S. So basically it is just holding my place until I decide what to do for my next vehicle.
sooner2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 17:25   #3638
flargabarg
Veteran Member

I switched from the Touareg to a Model S. The torque is intoxicating. It was my third EV so I already knew what I was getting in to regarding care and feeding of an electric car. I'd do it again in a second. I also had a reservation on a Model 3 and got it refunded when I went for the S. The S was CPO and it's nearly like new at half the cost. Wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. Now the Touareg is just parked until it gets bought back.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 20:13   #3639
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

After much consideration I submitted for the buyback yesterday. Going for a chicane yellow 2017 Nissan 370 z! Don't have quite the drive I used to so I can afford the extra fuel.

Update : I test drove the z expecting to be impressed by the power but it's honestly slower in most driving situations. The power was non existent until 5k +rpm. Definitely not used to that. I'm keeping my tdi and making some more upgrades. Wasn't wow'd enough to spend 30k
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin - GONE TO BUYBACK

Last edited by 767wrench; March 24th, 2017 at 20:55.
767wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:31   #3640
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner2k8 View Post
I am on the list already. That money can either be refunded to me, or put towards a Model S. So basically it is just holding my place until I decide what to do for my next vehicle.
Oh nice, then you are set!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
I switched from the Touareg to a Model S. The torque is intoxicating. It was my third EV so I already knew what I was getting in to regarding care and feeding of an electric car. I'd do it again in a second. I also had a reservation on a Model 3 and got it refunded when I went for the S. The S was CPO and it's nearly like new at half the cost. Wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. Now the Touareg is just parked until it gets bought back.
I was looking at used/CPO Model S to replace my Golf but the prices were just a little above what I was willing to spend on a replacement.

Nice car though!
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:09   #3641
titleist1
Veteran Member

Shopped around and picked up a 2014 Fusion SE w/ 26.5k miles on it. Compared to the Passat, only 60% of the mpg's, room inside is about the same, smaller trunk, less get up and go. But the price was decent with cash left over after buyback and I hope to get another 125k miles out of it the next 5 years with minimal repair cost. One other thing the fusion does not have is the gawd awful tire/road noise the vw had.
'03 Silverado 250k, '17 Explorer 150, '14 Cruze 11k, '14 Fusion 26.5k, '13 Passat 85k - GONE - Doc's accepted 11/7 - Email sent 1/25 - Offer received, signed, notarized, uploaded & accepted on 1/26. Appt sched for 3/9, bought back 3/9, EFT - 3/14, Credit Union Loan Paid Off - 3/16

Last edited by titleist1; March 25th, 2017 at 21:14.
titleist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 13:28   #3642
Cheekee

I just retired , so I don't care as much about fuel economy .... I'm going for a 2017 F150 supercrew pickup .... It fits my "new" lifestyle better anyway .... I would have kept the TDI if it weren't for the emission scandal ..... cheers
Cheekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 16:59   #3643
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

2017 Mazda 3 Touring edition purchased about 25 hrs ago.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 20:28   #3644
BarrieCommuter
Veteran Member

Don't be drawn to the dual shift gearbox crap from Ford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 23rd, 2017, 23:14   #3645
tvmaster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastguy View Post
2017 Mazda 3 Touring edition purchased about 25 hrs ago.
Hatchback? What options? Having fun?
tvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote