www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 20th, 2017, 06:24   #1
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 MPG
Default Video: BRM Boost Hunting / Surge/Blip -- Activity Possible Actuator Issue?

This is a short video illustrating the weird blips and surges I experience while on a steady throttle or cruise control. The blip and surge is momentary and only noticed the instant before this weird boost spike drops off and goes down to normal expected boost.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/Zrb4Pp39K9w -- the buzzing you hear is the boost gauge itself. (supposed to be a no-buzz fitting )

This is the behavior I witnessed after installing my boost gauge on 19 March 2017. The evidence via the boost gauge is very interesting. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my gauge!!

Odd boost hunting that occurs at random. No rhyme or reason. Notice my MPH and RPM do not move, as I'm set at ~80mph on cruise. During the duration of the increased boost, I notice (feel nor hear) anything different in the running. I notice a small surge of power, or blip right before the boost falls off down to ~4-5psi, as stated previously.

Crazy huh? What do you think?
Old March 20th, 2017, 06:41   #2
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

I'll be taking some VCDS logs / graphs on the way home. That should be very telling as well. Perhaps all I may need is a new N75. We'll see. I'd rather figure this out, than throw hardware at it until it's resolved. You know, for future information.

R
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:49   #3
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

I dealt with the same problem as you describe on a customer's car. (wonder if it is the same one).

At a steady speed of around 45 and up, the boost would work it's way up to 20-25PSI and then drop to about 6PSI and start the cycle over. At 80MPH it would cycle every 5 seconds or so. Really annoying.

The closest that I could get to resolving the surges was to stiffen up the actuator until it just started to move the lever with 9"hg vacuum and pull back on the stop screw adjustment. Anymore than that and it would throw an implausible code for the position sensor.

The customer had been through a lot expenses with the car, (transmission, clutch, camshaft, timing belt,... he had just bought the previous owner's nightmare), and did not want to shell out more for a new turbo or even remove it to see what was going on with the vane mechanism. Chances are that the vanes were distorted. Disconnecting the vacuum to the actuator produced a lag in the boost at low RPMs but otherwise gave all the boost that it needed.

This car was chipped but not above a stage1.5-2.
Try to see if the car runs fairly normal without vacuum to the actuator.

Last edited by JETaah; March 20th, 2017 at 08:58.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:36   #4
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

I'll be sure to check that... It may be a tuning issue... I'm still looking into it. As I have deleted the EGR and ASV, my custom tune may not have it corrected.

Then again, I'll grab some logs on my commute home, tonight.
Old March 20th, 2017, 15:58   #5
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Old March 22nd, 2017, 17:17   #6
Kalter|Tod
Veteran Member

research the zip tie mod..... This will fix all those problems..... I run a Stage 2 tuned car and this fixed all the above problems...... Zip tie Mod is your friend
Kalter|Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:51   #7
DonsJetta

Fuel Economy: Now 40mpg!

Is the zip tie mod used as a limiter or, does it increase the spring rate at the end of the stroke? One reason I ask is because a zip tie cannot be loosened if you go to far, it must be cut and re-installed..
DonsJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:14   #8
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsJetta View Post
Is the zip tie mod used as a limiter or, does it increase the spring rate at the end of the stroke? One reason I ask is because a zip tie cannot be loosened if you go to far, it must be cut and re-installed..

Good Question!
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:52   #9
JETaah

Zip tie is a stroke limiter.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:32   #10
DonsJetta

Fuel Economy: Now 40mpg!

OK good! I used a foot of stainless safety wire folded in half and made a small loop to just fit over the end of the actuator rod, pulled around 17 to 18 in/vac, then twisted the wires together over the vacuum port nipple. Allot easier than trying to loop a zip tie for me anyway. I did have to attach a light weight spring to keep the wire loop against the rod adjusting nut as the rod moved through it's stroke during operation. Without the spring, the wire loop would slide down the threaded rod and lock, limiting the travel and throwing a code. So far its working well.
DonsJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:35   #11
JETaah

A byproduct of shortening the stroke (zip tie mod) is that it requires less vacuum to reach the max boost position.
You would have to increase the actuator rod preload to maintain the original relationship of (X)"hg = max boost position.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:36   #12
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

I think the majority of my problem is tuning related. But I do have a vacuum related issue as well. I probably did not re-attach some kind of important vac line, or I plugged the wrong one, after the full EGR/ASV delete.

I'm not entirely worried about overboosting with the turbo, I am going to get a much safer tune soon. But likely sometime this summer, I am going to upgrade the turbo, just because I want better flow, possible MPG, and more power. Aka, yes I'm greedy.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:52   #13
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

And then ultimately my nozzles... and I'm in need of a clutch now, and the flywheels makes so much noise as the clutch is pressed down.

Man, buying a fully stock vehicle entails a log when you want to modify it I'm very happy with it however. I'll make a separate post of it's transformation.