No leaks from boost pipes or intercooler
Actuator on turbo seems to be moving fine
Some oil/carbon buildup on the top anti-shudder flap hose joint
A bit smokey when being revved

Any ideas?

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
Actuator moves, but it's possible it's not moving enough.

If you get black smoke, probably is a leak.

If you get grey smoke, probably the turbo is dying.

DMCC

TDI
110 TDI MK4
Thanks.

I used some wd40 on the actuator today, as I couldnt move it by hand, it seems to be moving more freely but still quite hard to move? (im not familiar with these and how they should move)

I started it up and the thick smoke seems to have cleared, will take it out a drive tomorrow for an Italian tuneup to see what happens

DMCC

TDI
110 TDI MK4
Well took it out a drive the other day, but still smoking (grey colour)
No power, lots of grey smoke, high pitched whine when the boost is supposed to be on
Guess the turbo is a goner ? :(

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Yes and check how much oil do you have on the intake before the excess oil causes major problems.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The stiffness in the actuator is usually cruddy vanes, sometimes the actuator will rust up. Keep working it by hand til it frees up. If it won't some have sprayed oven cleaner to get the crud off. If I was to advise, I always go with r+r.
The key is that the thing responds to vacuum. It should move over when start the engine.

DMCC

TDI
110 TDI MK4
The stiffness in the actuator is usually cruddy vanes, sometimes the actuator will rust up. Keep working it by hand til it frees up. If it won't some have sprayed oven cleaner to get the crud off. If I was to advise, I always go with r+r.
The key is that the thing responds to vacuum. It should move over when start the engine.
Thanks, it was really hard to move at 1st by hand but guessing the ovencleaner done something as it is moving better, however I dont really know how much it should move?

I got someone to start the car while i observed underneath and it definitely moves when being started

Can you explain what r+r is ?