Tires!! Michelin Pilot Sport VS Pilot VS Primacy

eligibleli

TDI
2013 VW Golf 4Dr
Hello guys! My tires are needing to be changed soon.. Maybe within 3k miles. I am from Southern California and will be talking a road trip to Maryland for school.... I definitely want to purchase them at Costco due to the warranties.... But they only have 3 tires available.... Can anyone give me any recommendations on these 3....what's the difference...which is better...etc...

Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S 3

Michelin - Pilot® MXM4®

Michelin - Primacy™ MXM4®

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Did you look on Tire rack for their reviews? You can also find the "classification" of the tire as well as treadwear ratings etc to help you decide which is best suited for your driving style, expected type of use, etc

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Being a Maryland native I'd say go for a time that has good winter weather ratings because we do get some days where roads are very dicey.

If those are truly the only choices they are offering I'd say the AS/3 or primacy mxm4 in a close second place.

Don't bother with the pilot mxm4. They are pretty crappy from reviews I read on tire rack.

BTW if you don't mind me asking what school are you going to?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Do they have Costco's in MD where you will be? MD is app 2.3 k miles, so you might want to wait to get new tires in MD. Out of three you cite, Michelin Primacy MXM4. The new replacement is the Michelin Premier A/S.

I just got the Continental Pure Contact (A/S H rated ) for a 09 VW Jetta TDI. I just passed the "gentle break in phase", so far so good. The Pirelli P7 (H rated is also well rated.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Do they have Costco's in MD where you will be? MD is app 2.3 k miles, so you might want to wait to get new tires in MD. Out of three you cite, Michelin Primacy MXM4.

I just got the Continental Pure Contact A/S H rated for a 09 VW Jetta TDI. I just passed the "gentle break in phase", so far so good.
I know of several that are around Baltimore. One of the better ones is in Columbia MD. Though they tend to be very busy on the weekends.

I'd honestly say it's a safer idea to pick up the tires in socal if the plan is to leave in the winter since weather between here and California can be quite slick this time of year. I

On the other hand if it was spring and the original poster had 4/32 left I'd say he'd likely be fine for the trip.

OP, what tires do you have and how worn are they?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
If so, then 6 of one, half doz of the other.

Out here, Costco normally costs WAY more than chains or even INDY vendors. But I do understand the want and need for Costco WIDE flat repair rotation, warranty. i have found it is more of a chore to get tire rotations flat repair and warranty work @ Costco. Now IF one does enjoy or have to shop a lot @ Costco, then in effect it can be a kill two birds with one stone trip, albeit far longer on the tire side. Besides we all like $1.80 for a dog and all the kraut you care to load it with, and DRINK refills ! Get that @ a tire chain or indy shop !!

Last edited:

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
Read this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4723650

It seems tons of people are happy with the Primacy MXM4. If you buy the tires before March 1st, they are $70 off at Costco. I'm in need of new tires as well and ended up going with these at Costco (ordered them online, haven't arrived yet) - as the installed price was still cheaper from ordering them at Tirerack (w/ shipping) and having them installed somewhere locally.

eligibleli

TDI
2013 VW Golf 4Dr
Thank you all for the responses... After reading your guys opinion.. I ended up ordering the Primacy MXM4.

If I were to do a cross country trip... do you guys know if Costco at Maryland will honor the warranty....etc...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If you buy it at one Costco they *should* ALL honer the warranty.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Hello guys! My tires are needing to be changed soon.. Maybe within 3k miles. I am from Southern California and will be talking a road trip to Maryland for school.... I definitely want to purchase them at Costco due to the warranties.... But they only have 3 tires available.... Can anyone give me any recommendations on these 3....what's the difference...which is better...etc...

Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S 3

Michelin - Pilot® MXM4®

Michelin - Primacy™ MXM4®
First. No need to bold everything.

Pilot MXM4 is an old tire. The other 2 are fairly new tires.

Pilot Sport A/S 3 is if you favor handling over a smooth ride & quiet ride.

Primacy MXM4 is if you favor smooth ride & quiet ride over handling.

mikey30

TDI
2011 Golf MT
^^^ Great explanation for the differences between the three tirelines. I have Primacy MXM4 on my car and they are a great all around tire and still provide plenty of "sport" for spirited mountain driving while maintaining decent snow traction that you give up with the PSAS 3's. Hope you like them.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I replaced the OEM Conti's with the Pilot Sport A/S (from Costco too).

In my opinion, it's the best tire with the least amount of compromise. It's also a totally new and improved tire as of a couple of years ago.. I have the older version on my BMW.. they're good too.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
I have the Premier A/S on my '12 and absolutely love it. Quiet and smooth ride.

It was my understanding that the Pilot was a performance tire?

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
Hopefully you won't need to drive in a lot of snow and ice. From what I have seen and experienced on customer's cars, most newer Michelin's aren't all that great when it comes to winter use.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is essentially a summer tire with just enough sipes added to it to qualify as an all season tire. These tires have awesome grip for 3 seasons, but be very careful in any snow and ice.

The Primacy MXM4 is a good all around tire, but is aimed more towards comfort than grip. I would describe winter grip as being "average". Works alright in lighter snow, but doesn't have a very aggressive tread design to dig through deeper snow.

I have also installed a few sets of the Premier A/S tires, but haven't tried them in the snow. The tread design looks like it would do OK in winter, but what concerns me about the tire is that you only get 8/32 of tread to start with. Most new tires come with 10/32 and some come with 11 or 12/32. I guess only time will tell how they perform as they wear down.

We tend to sell a lot of Conti DWS tires at work. They are known to do pretty well in snow (for an A/S tire), and are hard to beat for the price. Too bad Costco doesn't offer them.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hopefully you won't need to drive in a lot of snow and ice. From what I have seen and experienced on customer's cars, most newer Michelin's aren't all that great when it comes to winter use.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is essentially a summer tire with just enough sipes added to it to qualify as an all season tire. These tires have awesome grip for 3 seasons, but be very careful in any snow and ice.

The Primacy MXM4 is a good all around tire, but is aimed more towards comfort than grip. I would describe winter grip as being "average". Works alright in lighter snow, but doesn't have a very aggressive tread design to dig through deeper snow.

I have also installed a few sets of the Premier A/S tires, but haven't tried them in the snow. The tread design looks like it would do OK in winter, but what concerns me about the tire is that you only get 8/32 of tread to start with. Most new tires come with 10/32 and some come with 11 or 12/32. I guess only time will tell how they perform as they wear down.

We tend to sell a lot of Conti DWS tires at work. They are known to do pretty well in snow (for an A/S tire), and are hard to beat for the price. Too bad Costco doesn't offer them.
I choose the Continental Pure Contact (tire guru said it was a improved DWS), with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 as a very close second/third. I passed on the Michelin Premier for the 2/32nd in and more "shave". So recommendation, price, overall high ratings, suitability for my intended use (snow/ice ratings were pretty high) were four main reasons.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I choose the Continental Pure Contact (tire guru said it was a improved DWS), with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 as a very close second/third. I passed on the Michelin Premier for the 2/32nd in and more "shave". So recommendation, price, overall high ratings, suitability for my intended use (snow/ice ratings were pretty high) were four main reasons.
the improved Extreme Contact DWS is actually coming out later this year.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I bought the v rated 225/45 17 continental pure contact back in April. They've done very well. Sporty yet comfortable for long trips.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The OP's upcoming Across Country Trip brought a smile to my face. I have gone cross country any number of times. I have loved each and every trip. I am thinking a longer trip will probably be gentle miles on the tires and car.

Closer to realities, on a 15,000 miles yearly commute, I am hoping to get a minimum of 90,000- 120,000 miles from the Continental Pure Contact's (H rated 205/55/16) I got 89,000 miles (13,692 miles per 1/32nd in) from the OEM Bridgestone's EL 400's. They are not nearly as highly rated as the Michelin models, nor the Continental Pure Contact.

I had the feeling I could have easily done that with the Michelin MXM4. But I have not heard of anyone getting close with 2/32nd in less tread, that is one the newest iteration.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I had the mxm4 on my last car and found that they lost a significant amount of traction when they were down to 4-5/32 tread. Took me roughly 40k miles to get to that point on 215/50 17 on a 06 Honda Accord. So roughly the same weight as my golf (accord is 200lbs heavier).

Tec80

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have one car with Primacy MXM4 and one with Premier A/S. The Premier A/S are slightly louder, but they absolutely smoke the Primacy in snow or ice. Comfort about equal between them, but the cars have different sizes so the Premier might have the edge since it is comfy even in a 45 series sidewall.

Costco is the best place to get tires. Free road hazard, free shipping, $70 off, free lifetime rotation, free rebalancing (even though you'll never need it since they do the best balance job ever the first & every time). I will pay extra to buy things at Costco because I've never had any problem returning anything that doesn't perform as expected. No questions asked. Try that at Sam's Club.

buddha

TDI
2016 gsw tdi (future)
Tec80, I'm considering the Premier A/S.
Which of those two tires would you say is less likely to squeal or spin out when accelerating hard from a stop on a dry road? :confused:

buddha

TDI
2016 gsw tdi (future)
Thanks for the link; I had actually viewed that earlier today. Perhaps a little more background would help.
I test drove a sportwagen tdi, and the tires seemed to squeal a little to easily under moderate acceleration from a standstill. That car had the oem contiprocontact.
My current car (which has more torque and hp than the tdi) had a lot of wheelspin when I was running hankook ventus as. However, I put a set of michelin primacy mxv4 and the problem was solved.
So, I'm wondering if any tdi owners have a similar experience with the new michelin premier a/s or if I should "step-up" to the michelin pilot sport a/s 3.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I second post number #2. Tire rack has great info. I'd add buying on-line can save money, but you have to haul them to shop. Do shop for discounts. I have the 17" Primacy MXM4's. Now with 36,000 miles, wearing well, traction, handling, noise all very good to great, and as they wear, my mileage has steadily gone up.

As far as post number #10 saying they're old tires, implying they are dated, ridiculous. They're still in production, very much modern new technology tires; Just because they came out with different models, does not make the MXM4 obsolate or old. Yes MXM4 has been out for awhile, because they're great tires, a good design, no need to change. Like the wheel is round since invention, it is not changing, no need.

With that said there are many great tire makes and models out there in the high performance or premium models. There are cheaper tires that are great values, but the MXM4 is a good choice, can't go wrong. Tires are a big investment. Buying the wrong ones is a bummer. Never heard anyone unhappy with MXM4.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the link; I had actually viewed that earlier today. Perhaps a little more background would help.
I test drove a sportwagen tdi, and the tires seemed to squeal a little to easily under moderate acceleration from a standstill. That car had the oem contiprocontact.
My current car (which has more torque and hp than the tdi) had a lot of wheelspin when I was running hankook ventus as. However, I put a set of michelin primacy mxv4 and the problem was solved.
So, I'm wondering if any tdi owners have a similar experience with the new michelin premier a/s or if I should "step-up" to the michelin pilot sport a/s 3.
The A/S 3s are considered by many to be something between the PSS and a high performance all season. It's a great for three seasons out of the year, however if you have to deal with ice or snow it really seems to fall a bit short in that one area.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I just rotated my Michelin - Primacy™ MXM4 at 115000 miles. I installed them May 2012 with 48000 miles. That is 67,000 miles. They still have 5/32" tread at least another 3k-5k miles remaining. They are mounted on VW 5 Spoke Rims.

I replaced the stock Hankook that it came from with these Michelin's. I am very happy with them. I notice high speed rain traction is not as good as it was, but still you got to live it. 70K out of one set tires.