Need help bad on arp diff bolt kit

polaris600dragon

TDI
2006 jetta tdi brm manual
I am in the process of trying to put in a arp differential bolt kit in my 06 tdi. The bolt kit is a 204-3002 and says it fits the 02a and 02j, my transmission is a 0a4 but the differential has 02j cast in it. The arp bolts that are suppose to be a press fit fall right in the diff. Any thoughts on what to do? Thanks Jimmy

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
The differentials are different in 02J-B/0A4s. The newer parts can be installed in the older gearboxes and are listed as replacements, but the ring gear has different inner and bolt dimensions.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I don't know. I know Autotech Driveline (wavetrac) and Peloquin make differentials with bolts that work with 02J-B/0A4 ring gears. Maybe you can give them a call. They at least would be familiar with the engineering requirements (clamping force, bolt shear load, etc).

Last edited:

polaris600dragon

TDI
I found a answer that should work, wheel studs from some 1980's nissans are 12mm x 1.25 and are a press fit into the differential. The dorman part number is 610-263 and they are hardened 10.9. For nuts I am probably going to use arp 300-8337 that are a 14mm hex size. Anyone see any reason this wont work? Thanks Jimmy

veedubgolf00

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
I think arp is a higher grade then that but that should work I think. Just make sure you loctite them

etrump

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with manual trans.
Did you end up using the wheel studs? I have a 2006 Jetta that one of the diff. rivots decided to break off and exit the tranny. All of the others are loose enough that I can twist them by hand. The car has just over 200k miles. I was just wondering if this solution worked for you or if you ever heard of the right bolt kit.

polaris600dragon

TDI
Did you end up using the wheel studs? I have a 2006 Jetta that one of the diff. rivots decided to break off and exit the tranny. All of the others are loose enough that I can twist them by hand. The car has just over 200k miles. I was just wondering if this solution worked for you or if you ever heard of the right bolt kit.

So far so good, I have 3000 miles on the studs. I used a hydraulic press to install the studs in the differential, and used three bond high strength retaining type loctite. By memory I torqued the nuts to 80 or 100 foot pounds, (but I think arp had a recommendation for the nuts).

I ended up using arp number 300-8338 for the nuts which have a small flange.

Last edited:

etrump

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with manual trans.
Well now there is at least two of these on the road with these wheel studs. I've only got about 400 miles on mine so far but I can say I like how the studs fit. They seem like the right dimensions.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Bumping an old thread because I'm in the same boat. 05 Golf 02j transmission - newer differential than my 04 and the standard ARP hardware does not fit. The newer unit has just over 12mm "holes". All the regular parts sources list the ARP kit as fitting 99-06 MKIV but I confirmed with ARP that they do not have hardware that fits the late 04+.

I am trying to contact wavetrak since they supply new hardware with their LSD, but have been trying to find out if anyone else has solved this.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
x3. Used Dorman 610-240 because it was available locally. Length is perfect, grade 10.9, 12x1.25. Used ARP nut 300-8337 (big flange variety) as I had them. Nuts contacted the differential housing just barely when I first snugged them down, loosed them & they just clear. The studs were probably just squaring up. I went with 80ftlbs because that's what most cars I've seen using this diameter & pitch call for lug torque. I used the ARP goop.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I
x3. Used Dorman 610-240 because it was available locally. Length is perfect, grade 10.9, 12x1.25. Used ARP nut 300-8337 (big flange variety) as I had them. Nuts contacted the differential housing just barely when I first snugged them down, loosed them & they just clear. The studs were probably just squaring up. I went with 80ftlbs because that's what most cars I've seen using this diameter & pitch call for lug torque. I used the ARP goop.
hadn't subscribed and didn't notice the reply. I gave up and installed a peloquin LSD. I contacted several other vendors and ARP directly. They do not carry the necessary hardware. Both Peloquin and Wavetrack use a threaded flange that accepts a generic ARP bolt instead of a stud with a nut. I didn't trust Dorman lug studs to hold together after having a factory part blow a hole in the trans!