Eastern North Carolina Guru's

sirjohnranbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hello, I was searching the posts and I couldn't find any consistent information on any Gurus east of Raleigh. anyone had any experiences in or around New Bern/Jacksonville Area? I have a BEW 04 TDI and it needs timing belt and the gauge cluster needs some help (currently needs to be re-programmed as its at 6500 miles but the car actually has about 85,000 miles.)

The timing belt im not so worried about as its a purely mechanical job but after the installation of the cluster by a fool some small electrical problems surfaced (no lights for AC/Heat, Seat belt notification dosent come on...etc)

I would really like this to get looked at but after a large number of horrible experiences in the area in the past 2 years (Pecheles's in Greenville attempted to extort about 950$ for an o2 sensor), Bob King in Wilmington (nothing wrong according to them; after they fill car with wrong oil and turbo blows up), National in Jacksonville (broke cup holder, tray in console and Parking Brake, left entire splash guard in trunk), and Professional in New Bern (2 months to (attempt) to fix cluster, Im at a loss)

Im willing to drive west (raleigh area) to take care of all this, but expect this to take more then a day and would prefer closer as I need my transportation. I love my car to death and Really want to take it to someone thats competent. please give me some "personally" recommend gurus in NC preferably from people with experience with the mechanic.

Last edited:

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I've heard bad things about Pecheles...doing unauthorized repairs, etc. Did you get your money back or have to go to court?

sirjohnranbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Pecheles story

Pecheles is a joke. they are crooks; the worst in eastern NC.

Took my car for diagnostics at autozone and shop= O2 sensor.

took it to Pecheles and told them REPLACE 02 Sensor and then pass inspection, thats all I wanted. 120$ fix. 24 hours later I call them and ask whats going on? they said they were installing it as we spoke and I could come around 5 to pick up car-

At 5 (after a 3rd one hour long drive to Pecheles) Im told my total is 1200$. I demand to see the list of parts and labor. and they actually refuse me; they even had the balls to say i cant see it until i pay! (needed check engine light off for inspection, if they didnt give me car back that day I would have been in alot of trouble with work and NC inspection) I tell them its impossible as i only have +/- 900 in my account so they say "ok 900 will do." I pay (foolishly but under some duress) so i can see the receipt and get home

they gave me new raidator fan (didnt need) new thermostat (questionable but still didnt tell me they were doing it nor did i ask them to do it), some injector cleaning for 150$, the list goes on, not to mention the 700 in labor.

The kicker is 5 minutes outside the parking lot my check engine light comes back on. they changed numerous things and passed a faulty inspection; yet didnt change the one thing i asked... the 02 sensor. thoroughout the entire process they lied and hid from me what they were doing, and ignored me (the customer)

I mean if this isn't enough for anyone to stop going there I have no idea what could be. I cant even imagine what they do to college kids or elderly people.

Im beyond pissed at this point. I call and demand service manger, their response is technical jargon BS giving me a run around about how they did all they did to save me money instead of the 100$ 02 Sensor I specifically asked for (?!?)

After complaints filed at BBB and VW corperate HQ (a joke btw) Pecheles himself calls and offers me 100$ off my already 1000$+ over priced bill, saying thats just how we do it so get used to it.

I own 3 TDIs- 2 2004 tdi's and a 2009 tdi. they will never ever see Pecheles again.

what is a shame is Pecheles had some seriously talented mechanics and a decent service dept around 2007-8. After National in J-ville screwed up my car ( people who "make it work/fit") and bob king (wrong oil at official dealer?) Pecheles was the only one that gave me my car back with less problems then before. but the current service department (2010-2011) are extortionists, I actually feel bad for the mechanics as they are going to get the blame.

Its gotta be bad when im causing a ruckus in the service dept. and multiple employees thank me for calling them out, saying "we're sick of the **** that goes on here"

eventually i got a check from Pecheles for 200$ a sad sad cry from what they already got out of me.

For anyone else, the amount of time and effort i put into recovering my money was absolutely insane. They really expect you to give up after a couple of days/weeks. it became strikingly obvious how often Pecheles goes through these things and how good they are at weaseling out of them.

Now I have no idea where to take my car and its in desperate need of service.

Stevestyle67

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI; 1972 Chevelle (Malibu) Convertible
PM JimBote, he's in Southern Pines as far as I know, and is quite the TDI master.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Chris @ Importautowerks in Raleigh is good. The local VW stealership take their cars over to him when they can't figure out what's wrong. He's been doing stuff for me for abt 10 years. He does get a little backed up, tho.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Second on Chris - he's my primary mechanic and I go elsewhere only when he's backed up and I can't wait. He doesn't do state inspections though. He also understands us TDI jockeys :D

I've heard good things about Jim Bote - if I ever get the money for a 5 speed conversion - he's the one I'll probably see about doing it.