2005 Golf GLS TDI auto price?

mdcclxxvi

I ordered the car about 4 months ago and it's about due to arrive. The dealer insists (what dealer doesn't) that this car can't be sold for less than MSRP. So I'd like to know if anyone out there knows whether or not he's just using the same car salesman lines or if new TDI's aren't being sold for less than MSRP.

MDIESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf GLS PD-TDI
They are fetching top dollar just about everywhere, especially the passats and jetta wagons. I sell them in Pa and we haven't really discounted any of the new tdi's (apart from the fact we give free splashguards). Although, if you did order the car and the dealer doesn't have to floorplan it then maybe some discount should've applied. However, all this should've been negotiated before you agreed to purchase. It's not right to agree on a price, then after the car gets there try to negotiate it further. You would not like it happening the other way around.

BTW. Even at sticker, these cars are a steal. But I may be a bit biased.

Mokimakana

TDI
2005 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Well, I got my 2005 GLS Golf (manual) for 19,199 in the Pacific NW--$43 under invoice (w/heated seats and ESP), and TDIs are VERY popular out here too. Have you tried getting quotes from edmunds.com, etc. etc.?

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
VW America is struggling financially and dealers will sell at invoice. Definitely shop around and if possible only deal with an internet sales person.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
The automotive market in the USA is very competetive, including the fact that customers here EXPECT to haggle on a new car's price.

A for-instance: a reasonably-equipped Golf TDI in South Africa has a retail price posted of about 207,000 Rand - US$34,500 at the current exchange rate. A closely-matched Golf sold in the USA is MSRP $20,654. (Prices off the VW website.)

Why this huge difference? I'm not privy to data inside the VW organization, but I know that new car pricing in South Africa is much less competetive that in the USA, and to boot, dealers do not typically negotiate price on new cars at all.

The most obvious bottom line is that we oughta be thankful we're here when buying any new car. And it gives some measure of understandability when VWOA appears to be uninterested in our demands for more TDIs and more models here: it looks simply like they can make more money elsewhere.

mdcclxxvi

The difference between the MSRP and invoice price for all the options I want is over $1400, so I'd like to think I could talk him down to less than MSRP, but one person says they'll fetch only sticker while right above I hear that VW isn't making as much money and I could get it for that $1400 less (and yes, it was an internet sales manager that I got the car through). I already ordered have the car on the way, so I'd hate to have to walk away if they insists it can't be sold for less than sticker. How much would I expect to save by having the car not have to be floorplanned as mentioned a couple posts up?

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
If you "ordered" the car, you must have already agreed to a price, right? Or by ordering, do you mean you got put on a list to have first-ups on the purchase of the car?
I know when I ordered my GLX, I basically walked through the pricing, etc. with the dealer and put down earnest money on the purchase.
When the car came, pay the balance and I was done.
If they are trying to bump the price after they already agreed and signed off...then you've got a reason to give them heck and bail...but if all this was set when you ordered, I would think you obligated to pay up.