1Z turbo upgrades

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Okay, I'm ready to do some upgrades to my 96 B4. I already have a 2.5" TT cat-back and an Upsolute Stage I. I'm going to add nozzles (PP520) eventually and I'll need a turbo & a software upgrade at the same time.

Will a GT15/17 hybrid be a good compromise for a daily driver or should I go with a GT20, or perhaps a GT-R series? Does anyone know if the OMI is available/necessary for the B4?

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
The Garrett ball bearing turbos are more gasoline oriented. I would go with a gt15/20 hybrid. VNT-20 compressor wheel, 40/47 mm exhaust wheel and the stock gt-15 housings are a nice combination. It goes pnp with the stock intake, exhaust manifold and downpipe and is good for a solid 140-150 whp.
You will maintain nice low-end torque but the clutch is happier than with the stock turbo.

Intake mods are not necessary on B4s, the OEM is nice as long as the comp housing stays the same.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Thanks, Freak!

Are those the components that you have in your hybrid turbo? Would you change anything? I plan on ceramic coating the housing & manifold while it is off. I'll also install a pyrometer probe while I can still access it.

------------------------

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I can vouch for that combination (well almost, mine's a 17/20)

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Freak!

Are those the components that you have in your hybrid turbo? Would you change anything?
------------------------
Yes they are.
In the 'stage 2' hybrid I changed the exhaust housing to a 0.47 a/r. It has the same bolt configuration on both the flanges as the OEM so it is still pnp. It cost about 250$, gives a bit more top end (=less EMP) and raises the torque peak couple hundred rpms.

If you are happy with 150hp, don't bother with the housing.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Great, now I don't know what I want!

Freak & Kerma: Where is your peak torque ft-lb & @ what rpm? I like horsepower, but I'd trade a few bhp for a nice, fat torque curve through to redline. Does your engine now feel more or less driveable than it did with the stock exhaust housing?

Has anyone heard of ceramic-coating the wheel itself? I have read that it is both recommended & impossible. I'm not sure which to believe.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Max torque is 280 ftlbs at 2800 rpm. 5th gear pulls hard from 1900-2000 rpm, not much under that. With the bigger housing it definitely feels 'thinner' on the lower rpms and sometimes you want to use lower gear because of that.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Kerma,

I noticed that yours is a VNT. Don't they have a little better spooling characteristics than my GT? That is, you could get away with a 17/20 hybrid where I would be a bit more limited by lag?

Do you think the PP520s are the way to go with Freak's turbo recommendations?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Lag? What's that?

RC4 works great with my turbo, I think it's a custom program, Jeff knows for sure. Press on the accelerator, and there's plenty of boost whenever you need it. Very good boost control, I think maybe that is helped by the compressor not needing to spin quite as fast to make the same boost.

I have less lag with this turbo than I did with the stock one and stock chip. Stock had a split second pause then a hit, this one is "elastic" for want of a better word. It responds as quickly as you can squeeze the pedal.

I don't trust my last dyno, my injection pump is on the way out. HP peak was at 3250 rpm, way too low, it indicates the internal pump pressure is not high enough to develop full injection pressure at the plunger, and maybe slightly retarded timing. Torque peak was about 2000 rpm. THis was with Upsolute 2, before I had RC4.

Which injectors you use depends more on the chiptuner than anything else. They all have their own preference.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Horsepower figures?
Stock exhaust housing, Bosch Dyno, winter fuel
147 DIN hp at 3900 rpm

0.47 housing, TAT dyno, summer fuel
-Stock AHU program, 160 DIN hp at 4000 rpm
-Digital Racing program, 177 DIN hp at 4000 rpm

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
How many miles on that pump kerma what do you think has made the pump not function properly.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
130k miles, feed pump wore out it's not making enough on the low pressure side.

Typical failure mode for VE pump. That's ok, I have a brandy new one waiting in the wings.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
That will be a full 11mm pump then, is that other one serviceable........ you know whats coming next

Sell Sell Sell Sell selllllllllllllllllll

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Very nice figures, Freak! I would be completely happy with that run.

Kerma, I am currently on Upsolute Stage I (I love it!) and looking to move to a reprogram when I upgrade nozzles. I'm leaning toward an RC for two reasons: 1) Upsolute charges for upgrades and 2) RC is only a few minutes away from my house. Does the RC seem to work with the PP nozzles a bit better than Upsolute? I'd prefer to go with the bigger nozzles from the get-go. Would you recommend an 11mm pump head at the same time? $$$

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
fastvicar: you should ask JSR, he knows what will work best with his tunings. Generally, he tends to shy away from the POWERPLUS on the stage 3, probably stick with 2 with the POWERPLUS, otherwise SPRINT764 or 520 is the way to go.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
That will be a full 11mm pump then, is that other one serviceable........ you know whats coming next

Sell Sell Sell Sell selllllllllllllllllll
We'll see. I already have 5 pumps in various states of repair...

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Are these all complete 11mm pumps kerma, you shaw no how to rub salt into the wound (pm)???

ZuberSpeed

Veteran Member
where can you get a 150pd turbo? only place ive seen is ebay, are there any places selling them with manifold?