Mt. Washington F'd up my rear passenger door

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL - Platinum Grey
Mt. Washington F\'d up my rear passenger door

So while on vacation on New Hampster, we decided to drive up Mt. Washington. On the way down, we stopped to cool the brakes and my wife decided to get out. Well, when she opened the door, the 70+ mph winds threw the door open hard. Anyway, the door still closes fine and highway road noise doesn't seem any worse. However, the door now makes an odd double kerchunk noise when you open it.

Hence my question: Does the door have an adjustment mechanism that just got pulled out of alignment or did I potentially bend the hinges?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003

Could be one or the other on this one. only way to tell is look real close and maybe try adjusting it. The doors are sure not made to slam open at 70 + MPG.

tas

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2001 baltic green

hinge spring is streched out . can you live with the noise? not a very expensive part easy to replace . but two preson job one to hold the weight of the door up.

tom

VW_Jedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Silver with Black Leather

I think your wife was just pissed you made her sit in the back seat.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)

Take the Cog railroad next time. It's only $49 per person. That's only about 60 gallons of fuel. Plus with the coal fired steam boiler you get coal soot on you. Not much soot from our cars!