Mk3 B4 AHU 1Z Power Upgrades Questions

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I just wanted to run down the various items to make certain I'm not forgetting about the easy bolt on items:

1. Injectors, PP764 is the largest that can be handled without a chip/turbo?
  2. Chip, take your pick there a number of options
  3. Turbo, Who has the super 17?
  4. Downpipe, Who makes a 2.5"?
  5. Exhaust, 2.5 not muffler is the best for power?
  6. Intake Manifold: European versions, custom gasser manifolds, or modify the stock one.
  7. Lift Pump,
  8. Intercooler
  9. IC pipes
Has anybody with a mk3/B4 been able to achieve over 150whp and maintain their 45mpg? I'm asking because I have my own car to modify and I have a friend that is having me build them a mk3 Golf who wants me to bolt the power goodies on while I'm working on it. The nice thing is I get the donor jetta tdi first and can perform the maintenance on this car and test and upgrades before I get the Golf.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the next level of upgrades involves

Injector pump upgrade to an 11mm automatic from a mk4?
Pulling the head and porting it?
Custom Cam?

I've already told the person that 170whp is about the max that I would dream of for this engine but maybe I'm wrong

AThreeTdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta Tdi , 03 jetta Tdi
G60ING said:
Has anybody with a mk3/B4 been able to achieve over 150whp and maintain their 45mpg?

I dyno'ed 149.16hp & 306 ft-lbs and get 44-45 mpg every tank, I took it easy for a few tanks and got 50+..

Also have taken the 11mm plunge and waiting for a updated tune to bring it to life.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Please post up your results when get a chance.

Also what diameter downpipe are you using? 2.25" Which K03/K04 Turbo?

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
PP764 is HUGE! You will smoke like a train. Unless your running monster boost a set of 520's should work great! I have PP357, and RC2 and i have a hard time keeping the smoke down.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been running PP764 and the smoke is ok with a stock chip or a chip that is not designed for them. I've been running them with a stock chip for several months now. With the Upsolute 205 program I smoked like a tire fire.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have seen other references of people hitting almost 200 WHP on the 1Z/AHU, in Europe or UK in the performance section.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its just a PITA to keep the mk3/b4 performance topics on point in that forum. I generally think of that as the ALH performance section