High pitch squeal on acceleration

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
It’s very high pitch, sort of from the passenger side of things. Comes on at the beginning of an acceleration, cuts out at higher rpms.

Scouring the boards for other info; lots of good stuff but not quite the solutions for me just yet. Figured I’d post a couple pics here for opinions.

So far, not an intake manifold leak. Not an obvious egr (deleted) leak. Not an obvious intercooler leak. Or maybe I’m wrong...

First pic is the lower egr blockoff plate; soot the culprit?? I couldn’t reseat any better or tighten...
Second is pipe coming off turbo; oil leakage the culprit? It’s not cracked or incredibly loose, but there is some seepage visible.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hwAnwUw

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
My bet is on the soot leak at the turbo port block off. The gaskets can shatter after a while from boost (EDIT: exhaust manifold pressure) leakage. The sound is boost (EMP) rattling it like a reed. As thick as the aluminum plate is, it can warp with heat; it has to be tight but not overly tight to distort it.

Pull the plate off and put a straight edge on it to check this. You might be able to flip it over and bend it in the other direction.
I prefer using a 1/16" SS plate and the sawed off flange from the turbo end of the EGR cooler pipe link as the block off plus gasket and that appears to be more stable.

Last edited:

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
My bet is on the soot leak at the turbo port block off. The gaskets can shatter after a while from boost leakage. The sound is boost rattling it like a reed. As thick as the aluminum plate is, it can warp with heat; it has to be tight but not overly tight to distort it.

Pull the plate off and put a straight edge on it to check this. You might be able to flip it over and bend it in the other direction.
I prefer using a 1/16" SS plate and the sawed off flange from the turbo end of the EGR cooler pipe link as the block off plus gasket and that appears to be more stable.
This is incredibly insightful! The soot had me preparing to fiddle with that block off plate, but I never would have guessed warping of that plate was possible. I’ve already ordered another gasket for that, but I’ll expect to plane the plate or use another blocker.

Thanks!!

JETaah

TDI
EGTs can get into the softening stages of the aluminum under load

Aluminum 6061-T6; 6061-T651
Physical Properties
Melting Point 582 - 652 °C 1080 - 1205 °F
Solidus 582 °C 1080 °F
Liquidus 652 °C 1205 °F

Judging by the info in this thread that is more than close to being a problem with the aluminum design:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2857380

Last edited:

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
Makes you wonder why the plates are made/sold in aluminum ($$$).

Do you fashion your own SS 1/16" plate? Good idea...

JETaah

TDI
Makes you wonder why the plates are made/sold in aluminum ($$$).

Do you fashion your own SS 1/16" plate? Good idea...
I had some lasered out at a nearby shop but have made some, too.
Just use the pipe flange as the template.

SS can be a bear.

Sharp, quality drill bit on a drill press, slow speed, cutting lube, and a lot of pressure.
Cutoff wheel rather than a saw.
You can also leave a neck on the tube flange, pinch it and carefully weld it shut. Not as pretty but it should work.

Last edited:

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
When investigating, I found my zip tie mod (with stainless steel zips btw) had failed and broken, so I replaced with plastic since that’s what’s around...

Now the squeal is gone! For now... I guess I did crank on the egr block off plates a tiny bit, but I’m curious if the zip tie mod for the vnt had anything to do with the fix.

Regardless I’ve ordered new gaskets and a new plate for the egr blockoff. Also, my CEL went off, whereas it’s been on since egr delete.

Codes as follows previous to the CEL disappearance:

P0401
P0299

JETaah

TDI
You are lowering the initial exhaust manifold pressure (opening the vanes that are shut down too far) when you do the zip-tie mod.