Rack mounted cargo carrier interchangeability between Touareg and Q7

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
Hello!

VW offers a couple of oem top rack cargo carrier options for the 2016 Touareg. Will these carriers and mounting system work with the 2015 Audi Q7?

Thanks!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
If you are talking about the cross bars that the cargo box fits on ,the answer is no. The cross bars are set for the touareg roof rails. Q 7 is a bigger roof size. I have OEM cross bar system that just fits the rails.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I've always experienced that OEM bars only fit a certain set of cars (For example the Mk4 Jetta roof bars only fit the Mk4 series of Jettas)

Other than aftermarket (Thule and Yakima etc) you can't get bars to fit different eras of car - and you may still need to purchase the fitment kit.

So far i have seen that Thule has a kit that seem to fit an assortment of roof bar equipped vehicles. I use the Thule Aeroblade and the 450 Crossroad foots which affix to the stock roof rails.

However, the rails on a 2015 Q7 are flush so the 450R crossroads mounts don't work (you need the 460R pillars.

In either case the base bars can be used between the Touareg and Q7 but you need a different set of pillar/rail mounts for both vehicles.

Not the one choice for both.

In my case - I can share the bars between Jetta and Touareg BUT I need to use different adapters for either car. (cost was about $250 versus buying a whole new setup at $600)