Diagnosing electronic parking brake fault

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Helping out a friend with an EPB fault (2007 B6 wagon). VCDS reports the following:

Code:
02433 - Supply Voltage for Right Parking Brake Motor (V283) 
            012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON
Running through the diagnostic (from Ross-Tech), he can hear the motor moving, but it fails the function test, reporting "closed" (which makes sense, as the dash light is on, and the bing is binging - except that the brake is clearly not on and the car is driveable).

I'm just wondering if we could jumper the right side connector to the left side motor, to confirm a failed motor, and not some point in the wiring harness or switch. It's my understanding that the motor is "symmetric" (not specific to left/right), but not sure if using a jumper to get to the other side of the car is going to mess up the voltage on the diagnostics.

This car is a bit of a lemon, frankly, reporting near-constant intermittent electrical gremlins - here's a sample that I cleared at last scan (all with different freeze frame dates):
Code:
Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 09G-927-750.clb
01314 - Engine Control Module 
            004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 3C0-920-xxx-17.lbl
00446 - Function Limitation due to Under-Voltage 
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels: 3C0-907-530-V1.clb
01305 - Databus for Infotainment 
            004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Address 25: Immobilizer        Labels: 3C0-959-433-25.clb
02823 - Requirements for Locking the Steering Column Lock not met 
            000 -  -  - Intermittent
Address 42: Door Elect, Driver        Labels: 1K0-959-701-MIN2.lbl
00932 - Electric Window Motor; Drivers Side (V147) 
            005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent
Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels: 3C0-959-433-46.clb
00896 - Trunk Lock Unit (F256) 
            008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Plan is to unload the car... but need to resolve the EPB issue.

Thanks.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
How many wires go to the motor? I ask because there are often two components, the motor and a sensor. Since you hear the motor running yet the system is faulting I'd suggest that it may well be the mechanical connection between the motor and the brake assembly. Otherwise I'd suspect a faulty sensor.

The other messages could well have to do with a weak battery.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, weak battery will cause all sorts of craziness. There is also a TSB about software updates to the EPB module for less sensitivity to voltage variations. Usually that is all they need.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Just a 2-pin connector on the motor.

We also replaced the dash switch - same problems.

I'd thought battery as well, but it's only a year old, and these niggly issues pre-exist the new battery. I still think it's something related to battery (alternator?), but neither of us can really afford the time to try and figure out. Plus, they are a 1-car family, so I'm not willing to undertake anything that might result in downtime.

The software patch has NOT been applied (according to VCDS). Would the dealer apply the patch if there is a related MIL?

Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I cannot grasp what dealers will and will not do, as many of them seem to defy any sort of logic or common sense. You'd have to ask them.