Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
An experienced Indie should be able to do the transmission service, although I don't see it "required" at 60K (see: https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/MY14_Maintenance_Booklet.pdf) I had mine replaced, along with the transfer case and rear diff fluid, but mine is 4Matic.

Seriously, you're overpaying for a bunch of visual checks that you can do yourself or have an Indie do. In essence, all it will need is an oil & filter change like it does every 10K miles, and top off the DEF tank.

I just did my front brakes for $230. Repairs and maintenance on normal wear & tear items should not break the bank. The stealership will always gladly separate you from your money.

You could likely add a fuel filter change (otherwise every 40K) and think about the air filter if it has never been replaced. Wipers are $30 and I replace every other year.

Why anyone would consider spending $1200 on maintenance I'll never know. Maintaining ANY vehicle is going to cost money. If you truly value and enjoy the engineering of your E-class BlueTec, why complain about the potential upkeep costs?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Agreed. Why subject yourself to the "sucker punch" of dealer service?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks all. Dealer today sounded less arrogant. Next month or so, I'll let him do the B service and the trans fluid replace, about $1200. If he comes up with another list of repairs he discovered I need I'll take those to a specialty shop for another quote. That keeps my warranty service documented and also hooks me up with another shop.

There's a lot of factors with the trade in idea. I'm paying Allstate almost as much as my loan payment because they have gap coverage which my dealer screwed me out of. I'd get gap covearage on my new loan and could get rid of Allstate. The used car has only 21k on it, so it's worth more. I'd have to get a loan for my gap amount and the used car, so the net cost is that interest (which would be a better rate) minus what I save in insurance and what I get in value. It may be a reasonable deal if I could do the math on it all. X factor is the risk of buying used, even though it's CPO. The more I think about it the better it seems.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Sounds like you got in over your head with the car if you needed to get GAP insurance.

$1200 for a trans fluid replace is absolutely INSANE!!!!!! i bet you can do that by yourself for $200

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, your are certainly in over your head. I would suggest cutting your losses now and getting something you can more easily afford.

Gap insurance is the red flag here.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
So basically, you're going to shell out $1200 for maintenance that you could be spending half on elsewhere or do yourself. Yet you didn't plan on this when you overspent on the car in the first place, and now you're trying to trade out of it into another one just like it?

Sounds like you bit off a lot more than you could chew. When buying ANY new car, you're taking quite a depreciation hit the first year, so I don't see how you'd break even by trading at this point, even less how you'd save any money.

I'd suggest hanging on to it and refinancing your current loan, switching insurance co's if you can get a better deal elsewhere, and do the maintenance work yourself or at an Indie. Trading in and buying something else you will be taking a loss pretty much every time, AND you'd be giving up a known for an unknown.

You're considering doing everything the opposite of what I'd do... To each his own I guess.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Gap insurance isn't a bad idea, just so you don't end up having to write anyone a check if the car gets totaled. VW includes gap insurance in its leases. If I were going to lease another car I'd certainly want it. But I'd rather not do that.

Seems that if you find a good independent shop now the money you'd save on the next service could go towards the gap insurance payment or refinancing. If you have documentation that the service is done I don't believe M-B could deny a warranty claim, if you end up making one at some point.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
GAP insurance on a leased vehicle is one thing, the car isn't technically yours.. you're just renting it for the time being..... on a purchased vehicle it means he financed more than what the car is valued... I'm assuming he was getting out of another vehicle which he owed more on than it was valued... He got excited about the Benz and over-financed the Benz just to get into it.

There are articles and videos on how to do your maintenance. Invest in some tools and start doing it yourself.

I do all my maintenance on the 535D myself for a few reasons.
1. Saves me TONS of $$
2. I know its done right.
3. Satisfaction of knowing i'm keeping the car running right.
4. Saves me TONS of $$ :)

See if you can put more money toward your loan and then refinance to get that money sucking GAP insurance off.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Simple maintenance like fluid and filter changes are not significantly harder than any other car, but other routine maintenance, like a transmission service, require both specialized tools and software. And many common repairs are more complex than most do-it-yourselfers will want to take on. This isn't a condemnation of Mercedes or BMW, almost all new vehicles are complex. But going to the dealer is clearly the most expensive alternative.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Side object beeping

I finally read about the beep that occurs sometimes when I come to an intersection, or if I approach an object on the side, cars or pedestrian, at any speed. This is not like the front collision brake, it won't happen autonomously. The beep is warning me that the side collision system is armed. If I do attempt to brake or swerve, it will activate and use braking amplification with input from steering and braking I'm doing and radar detection of the objects in the path. I'm pretty sure I could turn off the beep and the system from the steering wheel command interface. As is I have been ignoring the beep for years. I guess it's no more than a warning not to make any sudden moves or computerized braking/steering may occur. I'm a fan of front collision systems. I'm neutral on this, but if I ever use it I may like it. It is an extension of ABS, which works as you steer while your skidding with the brakes applied.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mercedes builds diesels in the US

Mercedes is advertising a US built 6cyl diesel Sprinter. I think this is new. As far as I know, their Bluetecs had all previously been built in Germany. I'm thinking this means that soon they will build and sell the 4cyl bi-turbo E220d here, their next generation diesel engine and car platform they have sold in Europe since 2017. I will be at the dealer the first day if that goes down.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Mercedes is advertising a US built 6cyl diesel Sprinter. I think this is new. As far as I know, their Bluetecs had all previously been built in Germany. I'm thinking this means that soon they will build and sell the 4cyl bi-turbo E220d here, their next generation diesel engine and car platform they have sold in Europe since 2017. I will be at the dealer the first day if that goes down.
Doubt it. Mercedes used to ship Sprinters here disassembled and complete final assembly in the US to avoid taxes specific to light trucks imported into the US (the "chicken tax" for those who are aware of it). They've decided to completely assemble the trucks here starting with the newest generation Sprinter.

It's safe to say this decision has nothing to do with passenger cars. And given the regulatory environment and stability of fuel prices looking forward, it's doubtful we'll see many new diesels in North America. The Mazda 3 may still appear, as may the promised Hyundai, and there's still talk of a diesel X5, but that's probably it.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
https://www.trucks.com/2018/09/06/mercedes-benz-launches-production-sprinter-van/
This is a new major shift of manufacture of a diesel engine and van to the US (especially once the parts issue is over). Major news for us diesel heads. I think it totally bodes well for a change of perception for a US Bluetec E Class comeback.
Hopefully this can happen.

It might require an uptick in gasoline prices as well as a realization that EV tech and autonomous vehicle hype is too optimistic, intrusive and expensive. No kidding that rural areas would be immune to these changes out of necessity! Government's heavy hand in central planning and regulations needs to let up or at least change to more realistic expectations. The yellow journalism influenced culture would also need to change. The odds are against diesel, I'm afraid.

TM

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
60 k "B" service

I went to the dealer and bought oil and a filter with a tiny washer. I went to a guy on the corner who had helped me remove bio-diesel, wherein he impressed me as capable and helpful. Pulled in without an appointment, and came back in a few hours. Total cost: about $110.00. Compare that my 50k "A" service which included a fuel filter, front brake pads and battery all of which they said I needed: $1600.00. I think I learned my lesson. I still want to find a specialty shop that really knows my car though. The dealer was talking about a transmission fluid job for $600.00. The parts guy said it was due at 75k, and the mechanic said 90k. I want to make sure there are no software upgrades or other esoteric specific requirements as soon as I figure out better ways to upkeep the high tech and the sophisticated systems. I still need to fill the DEF and change the AC/cabin filters and rotate the tires.

Last edited:

InfoSec

Veteran Member
I had my trans fluid changed at the dealer. Took them about an hour or so. They charged me $250. Not too bad. They also did the transfer case, and front and rear diffs for another $250. Maybe the $600 was for all 4 things???

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Where have you been? that article is 15 months old. And the OM642, although used in a lot of platforms, isn't the most advanced engine. Basically the same engine is in the earlier W212 E350s. The new gen 4 cylinder engines from Mercedes and BMW is what we're really missing.

I am disappointed that BMW seems to be done with diesels in NA, at least for now. Perhaps that will change. I've been tempted to scoop up a leftover '18 328d, but I drove one and I think I prefer my 335d. Also I already own it.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'll be the new engine when it comes, OM654, I believe. Lots of improvements. I'm holding out hope.

oilhammer

TDI
Me too. In the mean time, I feel like my Sprinter is a unicorn. I feel like it is another 1997 B4V TDI. :eek:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
No def at 60k. Then def warning at 66k. Dealer put it in for $ 100.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I just discovered there's a jack in the trunk next to the def tank. There also is this strange object like a silver crayon shaped rod. I turned the cover of the def tank and it didn't seem to screw off.

oilhammer

TDI
The rod is likely the spare tire mounting peg, to make it easier to install since the car has bolts instead of studs.

Your owner's manual should have that information.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When the 335d was launched, BMW dealers were instructed at routine service to flush and refill the DEF tank. That, of course, was expensive. They also habitually over-filled the tank, causing DEF to crystallize in the vents and the tank to fail.

When the DEF light finally illuminated on my 335d I put in 2 gallons. I figure that's a safer route than topping it up.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the help. The car is better than ever. Great handling, acceleration etc. with only tiny upkeep so far at 66k. People asking what the best diesel is, look no further. Find one with routine maintenance performed at even 60 or 70k.

oilhammer

TDI
Problem is, they are very rare. And the people that have them seem to like them.

I'd like one, although the US market MB E-class is a bit too gussy and fancy for my taste.