2013 40k service notes (trans, oil, fuel service)

JAYFARMLAW

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Just did the 40 k service on my 2013 TDI, here are some notes that will make yours easier:

1. Getting the car up on 4 ramps (for the trans fluid change) takes some finesse. The 12k ramps sold at wal mart are just a little too tall to fit under the mid section of the car so you can just drive up on the ramps. I have two steel ramps that were as high. Pull up slightly on the front ramps, then the ramps will slide under the car. (I tried forwards and backward and it did not matter) Now, the finesse starts- If you have an automatic, you cant ride the brake and hit the power at the same time. Use the e-brake to keep from rolling back down the ramp. You can pull the E-brake and hit the power at the same time.

2. Don't spill the DSG fluid!!! It smells worse than any 90 weight ever did. The top fill works faster if you will fill up the sink with the hottest water you can and soak the bottles of fluid before you start. Don't forget to shake the heck out of the bottles before filling. Room Temp fluid flows very slow. When installing the trans filter, suck the fluid out of the filter housing, I didn't and had a little overflow when I installed the filter. When I stop the car at a light, I pick up a faint smell of the fluid. Once the battery tray is installed again, there is no way to get to the trans filter housing to spray with carb cleaner.

3. No need to prime the diesel filter housing. I turned the ignition to on and heard the pump priming the system. Car fired up immediately and ran with no stall or other hesitation.

4. IDparts has everything for $213 or so delivered. I used Mobil 1 and Liquid Moly, Oem trans filter and oil filter, MAnn fuiel filter.

5. Steering wheel, tire, and traction control dash lights came on (panic here) at first start up after trans service. As soon as the car hit second gear on the initial road test, all lights went off. Only data loss was the time. Second gear may have nothing to do with it, but that is when it happened for me. Easy to reset the service now message through the service menu, just like setting the time, there is a service menu option.

Oil change took maybe 30 minutes, tops. You have to position the filter just right to get it to drop back in. Don't panic...just try different angles. I had no problems getting it out. Fuel filter maybe 15, Transmission maybe an hour and a half. A bottom fill would be faster. I will buy the Ebay bottom fill set up for $34 before I hit 80k. Transmission shifts MUCH smoother. I may do the next change in 30k if it starts to get clunky again.

Good luck, your results may vary.

Jay

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
#3 above: While I agree that priming is (possibly) unnecessary, if you don't let fuel bleed out of the lines when the top is lifted off, I'm afraid you were hearing something other than fuel pump priming when you turned the ignition on. CR VWs have never had this function. VCDS or equivalent is required to "prime" the fuel filter.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
#3 above: While I agree that priming is (possibly) unnecessary, if you don't let fuel bleed out of the lines when the top is lifted off, I'm afraid you were hearing something other than fuel pump priming when you turned the ignition on. CR VWs have never had this function. VCDS or equivalent is required to "prime" the fuel filter.
Obviously priming is unnecessary, his car started without it, as have many others. I'm curious what you think he was hearing?

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I assume the car has an electric pump at the tank, no?

On other diesels I own, the electric pump is enough to push fuel through the filters, the HPFP and back out the vent to the tank. So "key on" for a few seconds is all that's needed.

JAYFARMLAW

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I've had to bleed injectors on trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment, so I was a little worried. If you ran a Dresser dozer out of diesel, you almost needed an exorcism ( or at least some voo doo) to get it to fire again. I had read horror stories about extended cranking but I guess I got lucky. Maybe I'm good, but I'll take lucky anyday!!!
Jay

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Obviously priming is unnecessary, his car started without it, as have many others. I'm curious what you think he was hearing?
Sorry, it's not at all obvious. There were very heated discussions during the early days of VW CRTDIs about this topic. If you care to read the arguments pro and con, you can find several threads.
As someone already noted, it was probably the Adblue pump. Turning the key on any 09>>>VW CRTDI doesn't move any fuel anywhere.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I've had to bleed injectors on trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment, so I was a little worried. If you ran a Dresser dozer out of diesel, you almost needed an exorcism ( or at least some voo doo) to get it to fire again. I had read horror stories about extended cranking but I guess I got lucky. Maybe I'm good, but I'll take lucky anyday!!!
Jay
I too have had my days of cracking open a line, and cranking at full throttle for minutes on end.
If im not mistaken, I think what everyone is worried about is the HPFP eating a air bubble and hurting itself? Is it possible to pre-fill the filter?

I may do my DSG service early at 20K, I know there is a filter but this car needs to last 500K minimum and I have lots of wet clutch background in bikes.
Good to know the oil stinks, that means its loaded with additives :D

Last edited:

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Don't forget to adjust the dsg clutch packs for wear using vag-com. This is why I went manual...after having owned two A5 with dsg. Plus...the wife can't drive manual :)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Sorry, it's not at all obvious. There were very heated discussions during the early days of VW CRTDIs about this topic. If you care to read the arguments pro and con, you can find several threads.
As someone already noted, it was probably the Adblue pump. Turning the key on any 09>>>VW CRTDI doesn't move any fuel anywhere.
It is obvious that the car(s) will start without priming. "Prime" example, the OP's car started after a fuel filter change…with just a twist of the key.

Regardless of what he heard or thought he heard, the car started (without any extra step) just like many modern diesel's do!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
psd1: I guess we will continue to speak a different language. Too bad, because I'd like to think we're on the same side.
Maybe we were married in a previous life? ...must not have ended well...:D

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Don't forget to adjust the dsg clutch packs for wear using vag-com. This is why I went manual...after having owned two A5 with dsg. Plus...the wife can't drive manual :)
OK, this has bugged me since I read it. How is it possible to adjust the DSG clutch packs with VAG-COM / VCDS? Is it somehow possible to program the mechatronic unit to do this?