Getting Uped next week by sending in ECU. How long does "power loss" code last?

JPuck

Getting Uped next week by sending in ECU. How long does "power loss" code last?

I'm sending in my ECU next week to be chipped since I don't have any time for a 10 hour round-trip drive. I assume the removal of the ECU from the car will add power-loss code to the ECU. My question is how long does this code last? Is it forever, or if I drive around for a few weeks will it eventually get removed or covered up? I'm just trying to figure out if there will be any codes left behind by it's removal...

Also, is there any throttle adaptation necessary? I remember on my Audi that after being chipped you were supposed to put the key in and NOT start the engine for 3 minutes. I haven't heard that for the golf... is this necessary?

Thanks, all!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Re: Getting Uped next week by sending in ECU. How long does "power loss" code last?

Hmmm, when you turn off your car the ECM does not get any power. So when you pulled it out of your car, it doesn't know that you did.

When you get your ECM back, with any luck at all you just plug it back in and start the car. I had my car chipped by a local Upsolute guy and it was just out with the ECM, out with old chip, in with the new, back in with the ECM, start the car and enjoy.

The only throttle adjustment required is to not go to 100% throttle below 2200rpm on a regular basis unless you want to change your clutch!

JPuck

Re: Getting Uped next week by sending in ECU. How long does "power loss" code last?

Originally posted by Curious Chris:
Hmmm, when you turn off your car the ECM does not get any power. So when you pulled it out of your car, it doesn't know that you did.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well I'm not sure that's right! I'm fairly sure the harness carries battery power to the ECU at all times. I could be wrong about this, but it would seem logical, and it's how my Audi A4 worked. On the Audi, one thing that people did after getting chipped was to clear the codes (with vag-Com), hence removing the ECU code that says power was removed. This way if the dealer was looking at codes he wouldn't see that power was removed, hence giving him more reason to suspect something. Of course, you could just tell him you removed the battery to do stereo work, but still...

anyway, I don't have a vag-com so that's why I was asking how long the codes stick around...

but I'm happy to hear the process is so painless!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI

if you do no to arm your alarm, you will have no code. and if you do, it will be a simple "power supply intermitent" which is a very common code that happens often for no reasonat all, that a dealer would simply shrug off and clear.

JPuck

Well that's good to know!

But my car will lock and alarm itself (if I ask it too) without an ECU in it? My car lives on the street and I need to have it locked...

thanks for the help, everyone!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI

yes you can arm your alarm with out an ECU. the immobilzer is part of the instrument cluster. you should not worry about the code though, as i said, it is a common code that pops up in cars for no reason. you may be able to lock your doors with the key (no alarm) and not get the code, but i have never checked that. regardless, do not worry about it though.