Won't Start After Sitting 2 Weeks-battery Is Ok.

RichBoss302

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My 2000 Jetta TDI has been sitting for over 2 weeks and I tried to start it today and it turns over as it normally has but just won't start. It has never sat this long for it to have this issue but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that if you don't start your VW with this crappy immobilizer system that it won't let you start it after sitting for too long???? Does the process of taking the battery cable off and touch them together trick remedy this or is there an EASY fix/trick? I am in the process of selling it and I don't want a stupid thing like it sitting too long between starts to screw up a sale!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Love the Shelby,
but sounds like the fule lines have an air leak, most likely around the fuel filter/return lines/IP area. Check the clear line from the filter for prescence of fuel/air.
May have to prime the pump.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Jasonp is right about checking for air leaks. It is the most likely culprit. There is no immobilization if you let your car sit for too long. As long as the battery is kept charged up, it should start. My golf just sat for 3 weeks and fired right up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Going back to no start, Jasonp is correct.

This type of problem happens, either due to air leak or simply the filter getting clogged due settlement of dirt in the fuel due to no movement in the fuel over the two weeks period.

Disconnect the hose at fuel filter, the hose taking the fuel to the injection pump. Put a small plastic funnel in the hose, attach a rope at ths end and connect the other hand to the hood so that the pipe is appox vertical. Put some diesel fuel in the funnel. Now crank the engine. Go back and put more diesel in the funnel and crank. Keep on repeating this sequence until you see the engine in process of firing. At that point, remove the funnel and reconnect the hose back to the fuel filter. Now crank until the car fires and let it idle for a while. You may need to connect the battery to the battery charger to avoid the battery going flat. Once it starts, I would have the fuel filter changed.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Dodoma: if I'm reading your post right, you're bypassing the fuel filter...Although you never did say where to connect the funnel to so I'm just guessing.

I think that it would be a bad idea to run raw, unfiltered, diesel into the IP.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
You are correct. Although the filter is bypassed, it is only for a short duration. I have started mine, both 1.6 diesel and TDI on many such occassion as discribed.