LED Conversion / Non-Fog Light to Fog Light conversion for Mk IV Jetta

DieselDoug

TDI
2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Does anyone have experience and opinion on using LED headlights (in this case, 9007 model) instead of OEM Halogen? If so, any recommendations? Lots out there but there does seem to be a plethora of different ways to go about it with heat sinks, straps, etc. And then there's the question of making sure it can still fit in a Mark IV Jetta TDI GLS Wagon headlight assembly with the battery box cramping the driver side. Hella also makes a nice Xenon 9007 100/80 watt bulb and wonder if anyone has comment / opinion on using these instead of converting to LED.
Mine did not come with factory fog lights in the main headlight assembly or the lower grill. I do want fog lights and understand there's a way to buy aftermarket headlight assemblies that have the fog light option and then buy the European Headlight controller. I'm assuming additional wiring will still be required.
And then there's an option to replace the lower bumper outside grill inserts with fog light assemblies. These would be very low to the ground and not sure if they would perform all that well. (I've maintained stock ride height).
I've already upgraded the alternator from the stock 90 amp to 130 amp. Comments and opinions appreciated.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I have the bumper mounted aftermarket fog lights with factory fog/headlight switch in mine. Light illumination to the road is very nice. No performance issue with regular halogen lamps for me, although I'm assuming some vibration in the bumper leads to shortened lamp life. I'm trying LED lamps in them next.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

Id recommend super nova v4 bulbs from headlight revolution ( there is another website called supernova.com I think but do not order those bulbs the ones I am referring to come from headlight Revolution).

The bulbs are a little on the expensive side about $175 for a pair but do work really well.... so well in fact I have three sets of bulbs .... 2 sets for my cars and one set for my minivan...

There are many different LED bulbs out there and some are really not good but those v4s I've used personally and they do light up very well....

Some may argue that putting LED light bulbs in reflector housings should not be done but if you really want to see I would recommend doing that with the V4s .....

I am looking into changing headlight housings also and I'm curious about the fog light equipped headlamps performance in terms of fog light output.... only reason I'm considering changing my headlamps is because my adjusters are broken and I can't adjust my headlights up even more....

Andrew

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Mine did not come with factory fog lights in the main headlight assembly or the lower grill. I do want fog lights and understand there's a way to buy aftermarket headlight assemblies that have the fog light option and then buy the European Headlight controller. I'm assuming additional wiring will still be required.
And then there's an option to replace the lower bumper outside grill inserts with fog light assemblies. These would be very low to the ground and not sure if they would perform all that well. (I've maintained stock ride height).
I've already upgraded the alternator from the stock 90 amp to 130 amp. Comments and opinions appreciated.

You could add the OEM fog assemblies to your factory headlights, I think they typically go for about $30-40 + shipping for a pair.
Another option would be to get the light bar user Millennium Falcon makes and sells here on TDIClub
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492637